Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Administrator

I put up another handicap grid, going to ten player classes that goes up to 11-4. That's a pretty big spot! Because this is set up partly for local tournaments, I stayed away from the long count handicaps, in case you are wondering. I do realize that better players tend to prefer the long count handicaps when matching up, even though the math might be equal to a short count handicap, because it gives them mre time to take control of the match,
but tournament directors like to keep things moving...

http://onepocket.org/Handicapgrid.htm
Old 06-07-2007, 01:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to shark3149

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
I put up another handicap grid, going to ten player classes that goes up to 11-4. That's a pretty big spot! Because this is set up partly for local tournaments, I stayed away from the long count handicaps, in case you are wondering. I do realize that better players tend to prefer the long count handicaps when matching up, even though the math might be equal to a short count handicap, because it gives them mre time to take control of the match,
but tournament directors like to keep things moving...

http://onepocket.org/Handicapgrid.htm

I like your new chart.I just went a little farther with the spot.The biggest spot I have is a 10 playing a 1 at 12-4 and the break.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:26 PM

Hi Steve.I did use the spots that the players in the room get on a regular basis.The room I play at there are 4 players that may come through on a regular basis that are 10's.Most of the players are in the 7 or 8 range.We all know each other very well and play each other every week.The spots are not a lock up.I play the room owner who is a ten every week with 11-5 and it goes back and fourth.We only play for 2 a rack but he likes me and is willing to help me learn the game.When I start to win and keep him down on a reguler basis we change the spot.I use to feel like that was not enought weight,but now I don't feel he should give me that much weight.I am getting very good at moving,and if he slips just a little I can run out.I think we might change the spot to 10-6 with the breaks.He still listed me as a 5 in the handicap.I will most like never get the chance to play as it will be to hard to run the tournament and play.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa
So I'm curious, because this is a problem that some guys have been arguing about for a couple of weeks at a room I frequent and would like some opinions from here. There's a guy, Player A, that is giving 10-7 to Player B. Player A is not a world champ or even a shortstop, just a strong local player. He can occasionally run 10 and out. Player B knows how to move and bank and can run seven with an open table. It's a tough game that they've been at for weeks, and Player A is probably just slightly a head.

Now, there's another guy, Player C, that wants to play Player A. Player C gets 10-7 from Player B, but doesn't like it. Getting 9-6 Player C robs Player B. Player C knows a little 1pocket, sometimes shoots the wrong shot, and can be inconsistent.

How do Player A and Player C match up?

Lou Figueroa
I would say player c would get 8-7 and if he can't run many balls maybe 9-7
I can't the stronger player giving up any more than that.The stronger player will not give up to much weight just to get a game.He is trying to win not lose or break even.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
If I understand you correctly, it sounds like player B is willing to give up more weight than he gets (relative to the true speed of the player he is facing). So of course if player C knows this, he asks for the extra weight and "robs player B". That sounds like what happened. Player C, on the other hand sounds like more of a locksmith Really, player B rpobably shouldn't give player C more than about 8-7 or 9-7 max.

Like I posted earlier, I think leagues and tournaments should use somewhat conservative handicaps, not locksmith handicaps.

PS I'm working on a couple more simple charts, with a few more player classes...

But, but... what about the Player A vs Player C match up?

Lou Figueroa
Old 06-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc
I'd say Player A might try Player C giving 12-7 or 9-5, depending on how well C runs balls. But my guess is that Player A won't give up that much weight. Are you "Player A"?

Doc
That's sort of what I was thinking -- something in the 12-7 or even 12-6 range. I really don't know how well Player C runs the balls.

Lou Figueroa
was never an
A player :-)
Old 06-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark3149
I would say player c would get 8-7 and if he can't run many balls maybe 9-7
I can't the stronger player giving up any more than that.The stronger player will not give up to much weight just to get a game.He is trying to win not lose or break even.

Well, that can't be right. Player C gets weight from the guy Player A gives 10-7. How do you figure Player C is suppose to get up and play getting less weight than Player A gives Player B?!

Now having said all that, of course Player A should try and negotiate himself an edge, but it's gotta at least "sound" sorta right.

Lou Figueroa
Old 06-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to I1PL
Default In The Works

Did you get your tournaments off the ground?
Handicapped 1P is a project of mine as well.

I can send you my easy-to-fill-out Data Sheets (just the final ball score and one other notation after the breaker's second inning) and process all your players for you. Mail you weekly lists, cool charts, etc...
All for the sake of pool (no charge). I would really benefit from your data, and my results can be used as a check and balance to the system that evolves from your efforts. Let me know if you're interested. Hit my link below for a bit more info.

I've been testing my I1PL system in Open 1P tournaments in Northern California the last year or so.

Now I'm running tournaments in San Francisco.

Good Luck,
fg

Last edited by I1PL; 06-20-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:06 AM

Hello guys.I am sorry for not getting back sooner.The tournament went not so good.Ther were only eight guys who showed up to play.The guys that showed up liked the handicaps but a race to two took four hours,and that was with only 8 guys.I think I will make it a one game match double elimination format from now on and see how that works out.After the tournament started a few more players showed up and seem very intrested as long as I can get things moving faster,as most of the players have to get up and go to work the next morning.I aslo told every one that when you win you handicap has to change,they all think that is fare.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I1PL
Did you get your tournaments off the ground?
Handicapped 1P is a project of mine as well.

I can send you my easy-to-fill-out Data Sheets (just the final ball score and one other notation after the breaker's second inning) and process all your players for you. Mail you weekly lists, cool charts, etc...
All for the sake of pool (no charge). I would really benefit from your data, and my results can be used as a check and balance to the system that evolves from your efforts. Let me know if you're interested. Hit my link below for a bit more info.

I've been testing my I1PL system in Open 1P tournaments in Northern California the last year or so.

Now I'm running tournaments in San Francisco.

Good Luck,
fg
Thank you I would love to see your chart and talk about how things work.I am just trying to give some thing back to the pool hall.I love one pocket and am getting better every day.I am getting pointers from 2 of the best players in my pool hall,so I might have a chace to bring my game up to par.I don't even like to play nine ball any more.
I will send you a pm with my info so you can send me the chart you are talking about.Thank you and maybe we can help each other out.