Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Verified Member

Thumbs up Greatest Players

Cuda:

You have a good list but maybe a couple of ommisions and one short stop!
Must adds:
Jack Cooney (your kind of guy)
Squirel
Artie (Chicago)

Short Stop:
Sonny Springer (not on this list)

Also number three and four could be on a bank pool list but this is one pocket site!

Got to love this new hog pool side! That's right grab a hole and hog eight in!
Old 05-31-2004, 09:15 AM
Verified Member

Default Good point Railbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by railbird
Cuda:

You have a good list but maybe a couple of ommisions and one short stop!
Must adds:
Jack Cooney (your kind of guy)
Squirel
Artie (Chicago)

Short Stop:
Sonny Springer (not on this list)

Also number three and four could be on a bank pool list but this is one pocket site!

Got to love this new hog pool side! That's right grab a hole and hog eight in!
If you look on another post you'll see I stipulated that my list was of only players I have seen play. I have seen Squirl many times yet never seen him in gambling action. I have never seen Jack Cooney play for the cash either. I did mention Artie Bodendofer in another post as being a top player. Especially one handed player. Not in Ronnie Allen's league but very good. Vernon Ellliot is another I have never seen play. Steve Oaks told me how good he played many years ago. Wish I could have caught him in action.

Tuff Tony, another Chicago legend, who lived with Rhomberg told me that no one had seen Rhomberg play his top speed because he never had to. He and Bugs didn't play each other but did cut a ton of money up, trapping people.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:52 PM
Verified Member

Default Greatest Players

I agree with the guys who think Jack Cooney should be on the list. If being the greatest $$ player means coming away with the dough, he is at or near the top. I watched him play Grady in LA when Grady was considered the top one pocket player in the country. Jack was getting 9 to 8 & they played two or three long sessions and came out near even. Grady said "I am trying to find something I do better than him, but there isn't anything I can see". Shot selection is a key to good one pocket, and watching Jack play was a clinic on shot selection. Grady could almost invent shots to get out of any situation and would demoralize you by beating you with shots you've never seen before. I was a fair shortstop & he tortured me 8 to 6 on my home court. I could write a book on all they guys they sent around to beat me, but we will save that for another post.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:30 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy
I agree with the guys who think Jack Cooney should be on the list. If being the greatest $$ player means coming away with the dough, he is at or near the top. I watched him play Grady in LA when Grady was considered the top one pocket player in the country. Jack was getting 9 to 8 & they played two or three long sessions and came out near even. Grady said "I am trying to find something I do better than him, but there isn't anything I can see". Shot selection is a key to good one pocket, and watching Jack play was a clinic on shot selection. Grady could almost invent shots to get out of any situation and would demoralize you by beating you with shots you've never seen before. I was a fair shortstop & he tortured me 8 to 6 on my home court. I could write a book on all they guys they sent around to beat me, but we will save that for another post.
Tell-ya what, John. Anyone who even thinks about playing Grady 8-6 in his prime has my respect sir. These younguns haven't a clue how "Great" the "Great" "Professor Grady" played at one time. In fact, he was called the "Great" Grady all over the south, before the "Professor" handle caught on. I remember Grady giving Buddy Hall weight for the longest time. The first time I saw them play Buddy was getting 8-7 with Grady winning but I heard Grady had spotted him the same 8-6 that that you played him with. That's impressive.

You have to keep in mind that Buddy was, at the time, thought of as the greatest 9 ball player on earth. By the way, Grady was a hell of a 9 ball player in his time too.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:09 PM

John Ive admired your game from afar for a long time. I know that when the pros play you they have to focus. Hope you share some of your stories with us.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:46 PM
Verified Member

Default More On Great Players

Grady also beat me playing golf on the 6 x 12 in Bellflower in the late 70's or early 80's. Heart Attack Jack staked him and I should have known I was in trouble because Jack didn't get too loose with his money. We also played a lot of ring game liability snooker on the same table and Grady beat the game most of the time. It was one of the tightest tables in the country with deep cut pockets and the balls would actually sit on top of the rails on the corner pockets. They still play on the same table at Hard Times in Bellflower, but I hear the action is not like it used to be. 9 or 10 years ago we were playing up to $50 a point fairly often, and good players would go busted because it was such a trick table. But getting back to one pocket, Keith McReady plays very good one pocket and can beat anyone on the list when he gets rolling.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Verified Member

Default Great One Pocket Players

I didn't see any mention of Eugene "Clem" Metz or Heydon Lingo. Clem was one of the all time great one pocket gamblers and Heydon Lingo invented the game!

Sherm
Old 06-03-2004, 11:57 PM
Verified Member

Default Jimmy Metz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuesmith
I didn't see any mention of Eugene "Clem" Metz or Heydon Lingo. Clem was one of the all time great one pocket gamblers and Heydon Lingo invented the game!

Sherm
Just wondering if anyone knows if Clem was related to Jimmy Metz, who lived in FL in the 70s? Thanks.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:43 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicudas
If you look on another post you'll see I stipulated that my list was of only players I have seen play. I have seen Squirl many times yet never seen him in gambling action. I have never seen Jack Cooney play for the cash either. I did mention Artie Bodendofer in another post as being a top player. Especially one handed player. Not in Ronnie Allen's league but very good. Vernon Ellliot is another I have never seen play. Steve Oaks told me how good he played many years ago. Wish I could have caught him in action.

Tuff Tony, another Chicago legend, who lived with Rhomberg told me that no one had seen Rhomberg play his top speed because he never had to. He and Bugs didn't play each other but did cut a ton of money up, trapping people.
Hi Cuda,

I don't remember any of these players but I'm still wet behind the ears when it comes to One pocket. Only played it for a yr and that was 2 yrs ago. Was sick for the past yr (cancer). I do remember a guy that played at the Billiard Cafe named , Geez, can't remember his name. He had a limp and all he did was play One pocket. I think his name was Freddy? I do know of Bugs though. I used to see him at Alsip. I also remember a match up between him and Efren for some really big doe.

Regards,

C.C.~~Alsip now owned by Zaksas now I believe.

Last edited by Chris Cass; 06-04-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:30 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicudas
Tell-ya what, John. Anyone who even thinks about playing Grady 8-6 in his prime has my respect sir. These younguns haven't a clue how "Great" the "Great" "Professor Grady" played at one time. In fact, he was called the "Great" Grady all over the south, before the "Professor" handle caught on. I remember Grady giving Buddy Hall weight for the longest time. The first time I saw them play Buddy was getting 8-7 with Grady winning but I heard Grady had spotted him the same 8-6 that that you played him with. That's impressive.

You have to keep in mind that Buddy was, at the time, thought of as the greatest 9 ball player on earth. By the way, Grady was a hell of a 9 ball player in his time too.
$Bill,

Another great, in my opinion, is Johnny Ervolino. I haven't seen his name mentioned in this thread, if it was I missed it. I had the opportunity to watch him play one pocket up here in Seattle a couple of years ago and he walked all over the young guns.

Lunchmoney