Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Verified Member

Default Johnny Ervolino/florida Player

Ervolino played terrific one pocket. He beat me 4 zip in a tournament in Seattle several years ago. He won the winners bracket & played in the finals against Dan Louie. He told Louie he was getting tired & it was ok to just play one set for 1st. He won the 1st two games, playing almost perfect one pocket, a bunch of $$ went down on Louie getting odds, & Johnny fell dead & lost 4 to 2. I was sitting with Hal Mix & Johnny came over & said "I know it looks like a dump, but the arthritis in my elbow just set in". Bill Cress had his last $$ on Ervolino & was mad as hell. I know Louie wasn't in on the dump, he is a very classy guy, but he won the tournament. Does anyone remember Ray Booth from Florida? I played him quite a bit in CA in the 60's. We played evrything, one handed & two handed, & I often wondered what happened to him.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cass
I don't remember any of these players but I'm still wet behind the ears when it comes to One pocket. Only played it for a yr and that was 2 yrs ago. Was sick for the past yr (cancer). I do remember a guy that played at the Billiard Cafe named , Geez, can't remember his name. He had a limp and all he did was play One pocket. I think his name was Freddy? I do know of Bugs though. I used to see him at Alsip. I also remember a match up between him and Efren for some really big doe.
That sounds like Freddy 'The Beard' Bentivegna, a very smart One Pocket player who has since done a little commentary for some of the Accu-Stats One Pocket videos. Often found at Chris's Billiards in Chicago -- possible dozing in a chair looking like the usual pool room old timer that needs to be woke up at closing time -- but he can play. Deceptively smart guy to talk to also -- compared to what he looks like. Got to watch out for those old guys dozing in a chair!
Old 06-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Verified Member

Default You're right Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
That sounds like Freddy 'The Beard' Bentivegna, a very smart One Pocket player who has since done a little commentary for some of the Accu-Stats One Pocket videos. Often found at Chris's Billiards in Chicago -- possible dozing in a chair looking like the usual pool room old timer that needs to be woke up at closing time -- but he can play. Deceptively smart guy to talk to also -- compared to what he looks like. Got to watch out for those old guys dozing in a chair!
It is Freddy, Steve. Freddy use to run the hottest gambling room in Chicago, N. Shore Billiards. He was a fixture at Benzinger's before it closed. Freddy was a very good one pocket player. He posts on a few sites that I post on. I'm sure he will find this "Wonderful" site before long. Freddy and Artie use to bump heads daily at N. Shore.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:39 PM
Verified Member

JR, you are absolutely right there is nowhere near the action at HT that there used to be. I've watched a lot of $ games on "Big Bertha" but I've never seen anyone rifle in shots like Parica! Playing Liability for 40-50 a point and he never seemed to baby anything. I drop in there a couple of times a week and still don't think that a ball can go into the pockets at that speed and stay there.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy
Ervolino played terrific one pocket. He beat me 4 zip in a tournament in Seattle several years ago. He won the winners bracket & played in the finals against Dan Louie. He told Louie he was getting tired & it was ok to just play one set for 1st. He won the 1st two games, playing almost perfect one pocket, a bunch of $$ went down on Louie getting odds, & Johnny fell dead & lost 4 to 2. I was sitting with Hal Mix & Johnny came over & said "I know it looks like a dump, but the arthritis in my elbow just set in". Bill Cress had his last $$ on Ervolino & was mad as hell. I know Louie wasn't in on the dump, he is a very classy guy, but he won the tournament. Does anyone remember Ray Booth from Florida? I played him quite a bit in CA in the 60's. We played evrything, one handed & two handed, & I often wondered what happened to him.
I was at that Tournament at Dr. Cues, it was the first time I had seen Johnny play. You are right about Dan Louie, I have know him since the mid 70's and he would never participate in a dump. He oozes class. Any idea where Bill Cress is these days? He used to hang out in a pool room in my home town here in Washington. The last I heard he was in Portland. I wish I could get inside his head for a few hours, that man has an incredible storehouse of knowledge. He gave my son some lessons and it made a huge difference in his game. I used to play him one pocket, he gave me 10-6 and my scratches didn't count. We would play for ten bucks a game and my "lessons" usually cost around $50.00 a session.

Lunchmoney
Old 06-07-2004, 07:06 PM
Verified Member

Default Bill Cress

I haven't seen Bill in a few years. I first met him at Hard Times in Bellflower several years ago & got thumped playing one pocket & nine-ball. He was around San Francisco a few years ago for quite a while, but I have not seen him since. I thought he was still up in the Seattle area. I know he was in Portland for quite a while before he came down to CA, so maybe he is back there. I stick pretty close to home anymore (Sacramento area) & wouldn't see him unless he came around here.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy
I haven't seen Bill in a few years. I first met him at Hard Times in Bellflower several years ago & got thumped playing one pocket & nine-ball. He was around San Francisco a few years ago for quite a while, but I have not seen him since. I thought he was still up in the Seattle area. I know he was in Portland for quite a while before he came down to CA, so maybe he is back there. I stick pretty close to home anymore (Sacramento area) & wouldn't see him unless he came around here.

Thanks JR.

I do know that Bill is in Portland and has been for a few months. I like the guy and was wondering how he was doing.

Lunchmoney
Old 06-09-2004, 02:43 AM
Verified Member

Default Bill Cress

I heard about two months ago in Portland, that Bill Cress is staying with his sister in the Seattle area...also heard his health was not real good.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrack
I heard about two months ago in Portland, that Bill Cress is staying with his sister in the Seattle area...also heard his health was not real good.

Thanks for the info. I know that Bill's sister lives in Monroe and he stayed there a lot when he was up in my neck of the woods. I hadn't heard about his health problems though. If you hear anything please let me know and I will do the same.

Lunchmoney
Old 06-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Verified Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cass
I think his name was Freddy?
Regards,

C.C.~~
Freddy "The Beard" Bentavegna...limps cause he wouldnt get the surgery to correct the problem, played jam-up! I have a pic of him playing a backroom game in the 70's, one of my favorite 1-pocket guys!!

Voodoo~~~waited to make my 1st post a good one!!