Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Verified Member

Default Please pay attn.

Is anybody paying attn? You are getting hit over the head with Artie the Anacoda's monstrosous (sic) Onepocket philosophy, and you keep missing the point. Do results count for anything? Or are we bound to moral, ethical and egotistical principles? I said it, and I have been saying it, Artie is operating on a different 1pkt plane entirely. Take advantage of this opportunity and learn something. Did you really think he moved the speed he moved because he did things the way you thought they should be done? He was my main rival for years. I didnt like the way he won. I thought his game was boring and ugly. I rooted against him regularly. I threatened him physically often. However, I was never dumb enough to bet against him -- or to question his shot choice.

Beard
Keep in mind, The Anaconda told Jack Cooney that he was a Onepkt dunce.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna
Is anybody paying attn? You are getting hit over the head with Artie the Anacoda's monstrosous (sic) Onepocket philosophy, and you keep missing the point. Do results count for anything? Or are we bound to moral, ethical and egotistical principles? I said it, and I have been saying it, Artie is operating on a different 1pkt plane entirely. Take advantage of this opportunity and learn something. Did you really think he moved the speed he moved because he did things the way you thought they should be done? He was my main rival for years. I didnt like the way he won. I thought his game was boring and ugly. I rooted against him regularly. I threatened him physically often. However, I was never dumb enough to bet against him -- or to question his shot choice.

Beard
I shall refer to my post # 42, in the "John Vs. Billy/AB thread".. You surely must have missed it, Fred, as you certainly ignored it, and went on with your crowing.....here is a small excerpt;

"But before the crowing gets too loud, I don't think that besting a 70 year old guy, somewhat past his prime,...is cause for a parade down State St., as was given Michael Jordan when he (almost single-handedly) won titles for the "da Bulls."

Theres a lot more if you'd care to check it out, before your, always subtle [sic] boasting gets out of hand...AGAIN..

Keep proving that Chicago has more braggard's per capita... you are now working on the
"least gracious winner's on the planet", catagory. <----note NO SMILEY FACE !

PS. I'm taking a break for a while (I'm sure you will call it pouting)...brag to John when he gets home.

Last edited by SJDinPHX; 09-16-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Verified Member

Quote:

Beard

Well, personally, I'm not buying it. The shooter has ball in hand, for crying out loud, and has to shoot A 3 FOOT STOP SHOT on the 11, for position on the 1, with natural position for the 15, and a break shot on the stack to get out. And he's going to pass?!!

Pass on a 3 foot stop shot?! (No wonder people say they're afraid of spot shots :-)

At a minimum, the shooter is going to get two balls and if he doesn't like getting on the 15, THEN he can fram the balls (probably putting at least one, if not two balls, on his side), after pocketing two balls and getting his man to play him 9-6.

Sure, you can clear the guy's pocket, play him 9-8, and win. But even if you're just a drunk Girl Scout, and can get someone to hold you up to the table long enough, you gotta shoot the stop shot, IMO.

Lou Figueroa
burp

Last edited by lfigueroa; 09-16-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Suspended

Guys; We're all forgetting the main objective, is to WIN!, not how ugly it looks, but get the job done. On a score card for golf, it does'nt have a space how, just how many. Just like the man said, "you wanna keep score ,it's real simple, you count your money at the end, whom ever has the most is the winner". If I didn't pick up a cue for 25 yrs. or so, I think I might think twice about what I can make right now, not in practice for the cheese, the man was just being honest with himself, he knows he can't play anymore, he just wanted to prove he knows what he's doing mentaly.IMO
Old 09-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa
Well, personally, I'm not buying it. The shooter has ball in hand, for crying out loud, and has to shoot A 3 FOOT STOP SHOT on the 11, for position on the 1, with natural position for the 15, and a break shot on the stack to get out. And he's going to pass?!!

Pass on a 3 foot stop shot?! (No wonder people say they're afraid of spot shots :-)

At a minimum, the shooter is going to get two balls and if he doesn't like getting on the 15, THEN he can fram the balls (probably putting at least one, if not two balls, on his side), after pocketing two balls and getting his man to play him 9-6.

I agree with this observation and will add one thing not mentioned yet. Any player anywhere who can pass up the two balls with ball-in-hand behind the line just to play safe, was going to win anyway. Little Red Riding Hood would have made those two balls and then played safe. It does not matter what ended up happening. Anybody who passes up those two balls to play safe is not going to beat an equal player. You cannot give up two balls that easily and win against an equal player.

P.S. Only players from Arizona & Chicago are afraid of spot-shots. All the rest of us shoot them and win. Or lose if we miss .
Old 09-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Verified Member

Default Ok, I give

Reminds me of an old axiom that tells me why I should quit trying to wake up the dead, "A fool convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."

the Beard
Old 09-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Suspended

Dennis; From what I've heard from observers, they were of equal ability at this time in thier lives. John one style, Artie another, Most people that wittnessed the match agree, Artie won strickly on his better understanding of playing mistake free 1p at this time in his life. Remember, He went there to WIN, not to put on a show. And like Doc said, after the match was over, he was glad to indulge in sharing some of his thoughts on the game. All in all, it's over, those were the choices he made to get the job done.........................
Old 09-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Reminds me of an old axiom that tells me why I should quit trying to wake up the dead, "A fool convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."

the Beard

Freddy,

I understand what you are saying, I do. But no player can pass up two relatively free balls in an even game and still win. That means the game was not even. I don't think that's arguable.

Dennis
Old 09-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cushion
Dennis; From what I've heard from observers, they were of equal ability at this time in thier lives. John one style, Artie another, Most people that wittnessed the match agree, Artie won strickly on his better understanding of playing mistake free 1p at this time in his life. Remember, He went there to WIN, not to put on a show. And like Doc said, after the match was over, he was glad to indulge in sharing some of his thoughts on the game. All in all, it's over, those were the choices he made to get the job done.........................

mr3cushion,

I don't mean to detract from Artie's win or make excuses for John's loss. That is not my business or my concern. I am putting myself in the postion of playing someone who passes up those two balls to play safe. Nobody has ever done that to me and won. The biggest "squeeze" artist that we had around here, (Detroit), was "Miami". He was the original squeeze artist around this part. I could not believe how safe he played and refused to shoot at his hole when given a decent shot. And he did compliment Artie's game one day by saying about Artie: "That guy, he don't give up no shot".

Without seeming to make any excuses for anybody it is necessary to point out that JH had severe leg problems just before the match to the point where he was not sure if he would be able to play or not, if I remember correctly,(and I could be wrong).

I will say this, forgetting everything else for a moment, the match took almost 12 hours for 11 games to be played. That is as close to even as you can get I guess. I tip my hat to both players for their game, but you cannot ever convince me that passing up those two open balls is the right shot in that situation. If Artie had lost, you or some others would be saying that he was crazy for passing up those two balls, wouldn't you?

Dennis
Old 09-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis
I agree with this observation and will add one thing not mentioned yet. Any player anywhere who can pass up the two balls with ball-in-hand behind the line just to play safe, was going to win anyway. Little Red Riding Hood would have made those two balls and then played safe. It does not matter what ended up happening. Anybody who passes up those two balls to play safe is not going to beat an equal player. You cannot give up two balls that easily and win against an equal player.

P.S. Only players from Arizona & Chicago are afraid of spot-shots. All the rest of us shoot them and win. Or lose if we miss .

This is a very subtle observation, and most likely, very accurate.

Artie was just messin' (not my preferred word to describe this) with him, or he could not have won, passing on those two balls.

Lou Figueroa