Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost
Carey, you wuss - you're 30 years old and weigh 140 lbs. soaking wet, and you're "dead tired" at 8:00! ...when I was your age I would play all night and into the next morning!....

- Ghost
Yeah, yeah, I should have figured I'd get needled from the senior citizen section here.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister
Yeah, yeah, I should have figured I'd get needled from the senior citizen section here.
I may have silenced him for you Twister...At least I may keep him up all night, trying to come up with a respectable rebuttal...

Prod, poke, gouge..............EDIT:-as you can see by the following post...He admits it will take all night, and well into the morning...
Attachment 1594

Last edited by SJDinPHX; 10-27-2015 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:05 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJDinPHX
I may have silenced him for you Twister...At least I may keep him up all night, trying to come up with a respectable rebuttal...

Prod, poke, gouge...

Attachment 1594

Papie.....You could at least thank me for supplying you with all of these pics of mine that you copied/stole from me and are always using - like this one of you with the cane, and the drunk duck chin-down on the bar...

And as far as a rebuttal...just open up the Aiming thread tomorrow after 11:00 a.m...I'll be posting up some good advice for my man Freddy on that thread around 11:00 - hehe.

- Ghosty
Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Administrator

I lasted to the end (so to speak). I lost in the finals -- whcih we shortened to a single game because the room was already due to close at 2AM. I lost the toss and was in trouble from the opening break. After a while, i was able to knock something over to my side and leave the cue ball real near my opponent's pocket, which go me back in the game. I actually took a lead, but I believe I scratched while double kissing a ball away from my opponent's pocket and he ran nearly out from there. We knocked around two balls on the table for a while with me needing both and him needing one. Eventually I made a bank and it all came down to one ball for the difference between 1st and 2nd (something like 750 for first and 500 for second). We knocked that one ball around for a good twenty minutes and I was fairly pleased with my end game, but could not knock it down. Eventually he left the ball on the spot, with the cue ball on the far endr rail about a diamond from my own side -- which can surely be cut home, but if you hit it too thick, you scratch, and that's what I did at at that time of the morning. He made the spot shot (I was hoping he would play safe

Thanks for a great job with the tournament by Snookers, the players (very little complaint about the handicaps), and Ray MacNamara, who ran the tourney. The room, Snookers, is a real good success story in a what is otherwise a blight of a pool scene in New England -- hats off to Steve & Regina Golding for a tremendous room!

I have a lo9t of photos, but I have another event (non pool) today, so I won't get to them until maybe tonight.

I failed to get the final result, but I know 6 places paid, and the top four were:
Joey Depree (sp??)
Steve Booth
Shayne Cote (also from NH)
Joe Tucker

I have photos of the other two but am blanking on their names...
Old 11-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Great tournament gentlemen. More to come now that you know how easy they are
Old 11-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
I lasted to the end (so to speak). I lost in the finals -- whcih we shortened to a single game because the room was already due to close at 2AM. I lost the toss and was in trouble from the opening break. After a while, i was able to knock something over to my side and leave the cue ball real near my opponent's pocket, which go me back in the game. I actually took a lead, but I believe I scratched while double kissing a ball away from my opponent's pocket and he ran nearly out from there. We knocked around two balls on the table for a while with me needing both and him needing one. Eventually I made a bank and it all came down to one ball for the difference between 1st and 2nd (something like 750 for first and 500 for second). We knocked that one ball around for a good twenty minutes and I was fairly pleased with my end game, but could not knock it down. Eventually he left the ball on the spot, with the cue ball on the far endr rail about a diamond from my own side -- which can surely be cut home, but if you hit it too thick, you scratch, and that's what I did at at that time of the morning. He made the spot shot (I was hoping he would play safe

Thanks for a great job with the tournament by Snookers, the players (very little complaint about the handicaps), and Ray MacNamara, who ran the tourney. The room, Snookers, is a real good success story in a what is otherwise a blight of a pool scene in New England -- hats off to Steve & Regina Golding for a tremendous room!

I have a lo9t of photos, but I have another event (non pool) today, so I won't get to them until maybe tonight.

I failed to get the final result, but I know 6 places paid, and the top four were:
Joey Depree (sp??)
Steve Booth
Shayne Cote (also from NH)
Joe Tucker

I have photos of the other two but am blanking on their names...

Steve.....Congrat's on your 2nd place finish..and also, on hanging in there until 2:00 a.m. - after all, I heard there's guys 20 yrs. younger than you who staggered out "dead tired" six hours before that...

Let's have a little more info from you or Carey...

What was the highest handicap/who were the best players there? --- What was yours and Carey's handicap number? --- Did you have trouble correctly handicapping unknown/semi-known players?

- Ghost
Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Verified Member

There was one player who was a AA. Steve and I were both 'B' handicaps, and John Smith was a 'A'. I think we had 1 or 2 complaints about the handicaps, which is amazing considering how much pool players usually like to complain, especially about handicaps. Actually, Ray Mac is the main reason the handicaps were as good as they were. He did a great job using the info he had to handicap everyone, and made it clear to the players that these were best fit handicaps and that this was our first tournament. There were a couple of unknown players, but I think that in the end, Ray even somehow got those handicaps more or less right. We did not get any 'ringers' who showed up and tried to sand-bag their ability and steal the tournament. Personally, I would prefer no handicaps, but I don't think we would have gotten a full field without them.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactownTom
Great tournament gentlemen. More to come now that you know how easy they are
We surely appreciate your advice Tom. Without it, we might have gone for a race to 3, which means we would probably still be playing now.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Verified Member

congrats Steve! Although this probably means the Ghost is going to ask for a ball after that kind of performance
Old 11-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister
There was one player who was a AA. Steve and I were both 'B' handicaps, and John Smith was a 'A'. I think we had 1 or 2 complaints about the handicaps, which is amazing considering how much pool players usually like to complain, especially about handicaps. Actually, Ray Mac is the main reason the handicaps were as good as they were. He did a great job using the info he had to handicap everyone, and made it clear to the players that these were best fit handicaps and that this was our first tournament. There were a couple of unknown players, but I think that in the end, Ray even somehow got those handicaps more or less right. We did not get any 'ringers' who showed up and tried to sand-bag their ability and steal the tournament. Personally, I would prefer no handicaps, but I don't think we would have gotten a full field without them.
Good job, Twister, and congrats to Steve. It sounds like y'all came to the same conclusions as did I-- here in Gulfport. The only difference was that, since we had two days, we were able to race to 3 with no problems in that regard.

Doc