Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2006, 06:03 PM

Default 2 Balls on the spot shot...

I watched one of Efren's matches at this years DCC. He was shooting at 2 balls on the spot with ball in and hand and only needed one. I got distracted and only caught the very end where one of the balls went into his pocket I was wondering what the consistent way of doing this was? Thanks in advance
Old 02-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudball
I watched one of Efren's matches at this years DCC. He was shooting at 2 balls on the spot with ball in and hand and only needed one. I got distracted and only caught the very end where one of the balls went into his pocket I was wondering what the consistent way of doing this was? Thanks in advance
The way you shoot that shot has to be dictated by where you have to leave the cue ball.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Verified Member

Default I LOVE THIS SHOT & I shoot the shot almost always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudball
I almost always play to make a ball in my hole - I don't know why anyone wouldn't unless you’re going to leave a shot for the other guy. But I have seen much better players than me, just skim the head ball and play safe, so I may be wrong.
I leave the cue ball on the rail, 2 diamonds down from the opposite (cattycorner) hole I'm shooting to. On rare occasions, I have made both balls. Worse case scenario - I have 2 balls near my hole. Most players put the cue ball too far from the center and don't know the trick to this shot.

TY & GL, OHB
Old 02-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Verified Member

Default 2 Ball spot shot

I shoot it this way. Go to the oppisite side of the table from your pocket, come up 1 diamond and toward the center 1 diamond. Put bottom english towards your pocket and shoot. Trying to drwa the cue ball back to the middle of the table. Sometime the head ball will go , but all the time the rear ball will go 2 rails to the pocket. Hope you can understand what I have tried to say.---Smitty
Old 02-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Verified Member

Default It's on page 184

A diagram and explanation of this shot can be found on p.184 of my book,
Banking With The Beard. ...."Place the Cue ball slightly to the left (1 or 2 inches, your pocket would be to the right) of the Head spot. Hit the Object ball dead full in the face using Extreme Draw with no English. The head ball will drive through the second ball to score."

(This shot works best on new cloth, where the draw action won't get burned up by friction. On old cloth, a much more powerful stroke is required to make the head ball. One tip of right hand draw english can help the needed action a little. The second ball is always a threat to go 2 rails up-and-down.

the Beard
Bank on, brother! Old school pool.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Verified Member

I practice this shot on a regular basis becuase it tends to come up frequently. I tend to have the rear ball go two rails and lay down by the pocket the I'm shooting at. Most of the time I cant get the cue ball to come back that far up the table so if I miss I worry about my opponent banking back to his hole.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Verified Member

Default Balls On Spot

I lost on this shot yesterday at the Hard Times monthly tournament when Joey Gebron knocked me in the losers bracket, making the head ball & two railing the back ball near his hole. I almost NEVER shoot this shot & still won't, even though it beat me yesterday. We both needed two balls and the other ball was down table, so it worked for him this time, but IMO you will lose more games than you will win shooting this shot.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Verified Member

Default John - You answered your own problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy
I lost on this shot yesterday at the Hard Times monthly tournament when Joey Gebron knocked me in the losers bracket, making the head ball & two railing the back ball near his hole. I almost NEVER shoot this shot & still won't, even though it beat me yesterday. We both needed two balls and the other ball was down table, so it worked for him this time, but IMO you will lose more games than you will win shooting this shot.
You say - I almost NEVER shoot this shot -
I think this is a shot that is worth practicing until you get it down pat & get the confidence to shoot it without hesitation. Best if done on the table your going to be playing on

(JMHO) - TY & GL, OHB
Old 02-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Verified Member

With 2 balls left I always shoot the shot and shoot it exactly as the "Beard" describes. With other balls on the table you have to be sure you'll be able to protect against shots and kisses that might mean a sell-out. Be sure to check that both balls are FROZEN AND STRAIGHT before shooting the shot.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHasBeen
You say - I almost NEVER shoot this shot -
I think this is a shot that is worth practicing until you get it down pat & get the confidence to shoot it without hesitation. Best if done on the table your going to be playing on

(JMHO) - TY & GL, OHB
I used to feel the same way as JR, but the benefits far outway the risks. Just practice the shot and don't use it on a strange table. Also, make sure that there is not a large divot on or around the spot.