Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Verified Member

Default play the score, and the situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan...after the break (no balls were made) and you come to the table faced with either a shot or a safety.

[B
The shot[/B] has about a 50/50 chance of going and the leave is about 50/50 of being safe or getting you another shot at your hole.

The safety has a 50/50 chance of truly working out and you have a 50/50 chance of moving a ball closer to your hole if successful.

**For both options, let's say if you miss, you leave your opponent a fairly easy bank to his hole.

[/I]
The most important element to consider is the score, and by the score the positional situation must be included when determining the "score." If the score is 0-0 and my opponent has his pocket loaded up, and mine is clean as a hound's tooth, I am losing at that point. 0 to 0 is not a realistic assessment of the situation.
Another example: I am winning 3 to 0 but my opponent has me behind a ball and his pocket is loaded, with a ball hanging. In reality, am I still ahead?
The most simple attitude in OnePocket, and the real secret of the game is, "When you are behind, look to shoot or take chances. When you are ahead, play conservative." Those are the factors that should determine your shot selection. Donavan's example was a decision after the break. Keep this thought in mind, whoever breaks and doesnt sell out an easy shot, is winning at that point. The incoming player who is now on defense, is behind or "losing." He should be looking for reasonable chances to take. If there are none, he should attempt to stall off anything too much worse happening for at least the next inning (take a scratch in the stack, etc). Once his inning is over and the original breaker comes back to the table with a still superior position, he should be looking for solid, high percentage moves to solidify or improve his favorable position. You should retain this thought process throughout the game.

the Beard

Bank on, brother! Old school pool.

Last edited by fred bentivegna; 02-16-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
Half the time I would shoot and the other half I would go for the safety.

Wayne
Thats just like you Wayne to take a theoretically safe position but in practice-RUN OUT on your opponents ass!!!!! LOL!!!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobagua
Thats just like you Wayne to take a theoretically safe position but in practice-RUN OUT on your opponents ass!!!!! LOL!!!!!
LOL! Yes, you probably got that right, my 1/2 and 1/2 answer of course was in jest since he had everything being 50-50. In actual experience in one-pocket, although everyone is saying go for the shot, I know of almost no good one-pocket players who are going for a 50% shot right after the break where if they miss they sell out. Most really good one-pocket players would probably take an intentional scratch somewhere if the situation was this bleak off the break. The ONLY time they would take this 50% shot is if there is absolutely no other reasonable choice. Hell, most of the good one-pocket players aren't even going to shoot if it is a shot they are only a favorite to make 70% of the time because we all know the added pressure is going to turn a 50% shot into something like a 25% shot. If you are playing for $5 fire at will, if you are playing $100 a game or more you better search high and low for a higher percentage safety.

Come on guys tell the truth, how many of you are going to take a flier right after the break where a miss is going to cost you the game!!!!

Wayne
Old 02-16-2006, 08:25 PM

Actually Wayne it was more indicative of you giving the Barney Fife act but end up more like the RCMP taking no prisoners. For those of you not from the great white north its Royal Canadian Mounted police who are known for their persistency in getting their man. Cant wait to see you back in action!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:44 PM

Come on guys tell the truth, how many of you are going to take a flier right after the break where a miss is going to cost you the game!!!

Well it depends on who your backer is!!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobagua
Actually Wayne it was more indicative of you giving the Barney Fife act but end up more like the RCMP taking no prisoners. For those of you not from the great white north its Royal Canadian Mounted police who are known for their persistency in getting their man. Cant wait to see you back in action!
Good point, Yo. Wonder how many of us are old enough to remember, "Sgt. Preston Of The Yukon?" RCMP
Old 02-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Verified Member

Default Yes, of course I would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
LOL! Yes, you probably got that right, my 1/2 and 1/2 answer of course was in jest since he had everything being 50-50. In actual experience in one-pocket, although everyone is saying go for the shot, I know of almost no good one-pocket players who are going for a 50% shot right after the break where if they miss they sell out. Most really good one-pocket players would probably take an intentional scratch somewhere if the situation was this bleak off the break. The ONLY time they would take this 50% shot is if there is absolutely no other reasonable choice. Hell, most of the good one-pocket players aren't even going to shoot if it is a shot they are only a favorite to make 70% of the time because we all know the added pressure is going to turn a 50% shot into something like a 25% shot. If you are playing for $5 fire at will, if you are playing $100 a game or more you better search high and low for a higher percentage safety.

Come on guys tell the truth, how many of you are going to take a flier right after the break where a miss is going to cost you the game!!!!

Wayne
I would go for it in a hot flash. Unfortunately, I usually dont get a 50 % shot to shoot at off someone's break.
the Beard
Old 02-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna
I would go for it in a hot flash. Unfortunately, I usually dont get a 50 % shot to shoot at off someone's break.
the Beard
Frequently I would be staked by a player who played better than I did. Mainly when I was tapped out and they knew the count would be perfect and they liked the game. If I were to go for a 50/50 shot out of the gate and sold out the farm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, there wouldn't be a second game.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna
the Beard
I don't think Efren would go for it (of course a 50% shot for him would probably be a jacked up-frozen to the rail 88 degree cut). I have seen him pass up a lot of 50% shots where he could sell out the game if he missed. Of course it always depends on the opponent, the spot, and a lot of other factors.

Wayne
Old 02-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Verified Member

Send a message via ICQ to Donovan Send a message via AIM to Donovan Send a message via MSN to Donovan Send a message via Yahoo to Donovan
Default I say fire away for this reason...

Deep down if the shot is 50/50 wouldn't you just bare down, lock it in, and turn it in to a shot you have to make as if your life depended on it?

I suppose that this kind of confidence and ability to force you through that emotional mumbo jumbo, turns the shot into something you truly think you can't miss. But isn't that the point of deciding to shoot it? We never shoot a shot thinking we are going to miss it, do we? (unless it is an intentional miss of course.)

-Straight Pool and One-Pocket Rule!
MadEye1@gmail.com