1991 Legends -- Steve Cook v Jose Parica

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Cook is fairly aggressive. I like caroming the 11 (?) off the 1 with speed and either into the stack, or slower around the bottom of the stack. Leave whitey on the long rail.

There might be something better, if I'd study it longer.;)

~Doc

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Lots of options here: Carom the 6 while banking the stripe over, thin the 14 and hide the cue behind the stack, and my favorite, bank the stripe by the side pocket firmly into the stack and send the cue ball three rails for a safety while moving balls to my hole.

Johnny, I like your option to bank the stripe which looks like it might be the eleven ball and go around with the cue ball.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Banking the ball in front of the 6 ball 2 rails under the the ball closest to Parica's pocket and follow the cue ball to side rail may get lucky and make the ball you're banking.

backplaying

Verified Member
Lots of options here: Carom the 6 while banking the stripe over, thin the 14 and hide the cue behind the stack, and my favorite, bank the stripe by the side pocket firmly into the stack and send the cue ball three rails for a safety while moving balls to my hole.

I like thinning the 14 and make sure the cue ball is high enough to keep him off the 9 ball.

treeMan

Verified Member
Banking the ball in front of the 6 ball 2 rails under the the ball closest to Parica's pocket and follow the cue ball to side rail may get lucky and make the ball you're banking.

I like this option except I'd try to leave the cue ball frozen on top of the stack. Opens up the 6 and if you get a ball to the side rail you'll be sitting pretty.

tree

keoneyo

Verified Member
First I like coming off the stripe ball near the 8 ball. But I dont like going 3 rails. You cant guarantee not leaving a cross bank. I like removing the stripe ball off the 1 ball sending it into the stack. Trying to pinch the rock to hide it behind the 8 or frozen to it. Sending the yellow ball upstairs to my side of the table.

Those 3 balls up by the hole need to be dealt with. If the first shot doesnt work I like thinning that stripe ball sending whitey into the stack and freezing him there.
Shooting the stripe ball near the 6th is ok and you might make it coming off 2 rails but you leave whitey out in the open and you could leave a cross bank.

In anyway if he is in deep trouble he might opt for the long bank off one of those 3 balls to his hole leaving you long.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Carom the 6ball sending the stripe into the stack. I like drawing the ball sending the cue ball behind the stack

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Arent you leaving whitey on the wrong side of the stack?

The action that will take place with the carom will send the cue ball to the other side of the stack. The 6ball will be cut to the right sending the cue ball to the left, the draw will keep the cue ball high utilizing the stack as a blocker for the balls that will end up by your pocket.

Maybe Larry or someone can draw it up for me to show the path that all the balls will take.

Bill Incardona

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
the commentators (including grady...not pictured) agreed steve cook played nearly perfect one-pocket, beating parica 5-0.

check out this pair......:eek::)
4.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Billy I doubted you once before .Set up table and you were right.
However here I think ctr ball or follow got the result.Draw would of probably
scratched in side where Cook shot from. What say you?

Im sticking to what I said, quite confident in my way of playing the shot. Youre 0 and 2

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Im sticking to what I said, quite confident in my way of playing the shot. Youre 0 and 2

Bill Incardona
I see that this is an interesting shot to some, and it actually is. For those that don't understand the shot, and the type of stroke you use to execute it...allow me to explain what's happening with the shot. For those that do..then add something if desired.

You're shooting cross table, so the cue ball will have "forward momentum" plus when it hits the 6ball cutting it to the right it will continue across and down table at a fast speed u:cool:nless you slow it up by hitting the cue ball under center axis. How much under center axis should you hit? Depending on the angle..the steeper the angle, the more you will need to slow the cue ball up..so go a little deeper on the cue ball. The draw will act as a resistance to the momentum and slow the cue ball up and also help keep it higher (heading north) This is really a nifty shot..and one that you should fool with to develop the feel needed to add it to your arsenal of shots. Like the one Cook shot above.;)

Bill Incardona

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Billy I doubted you once before .Set up table and you were right.
However here I think ctr ball or follow got the result.Draw would of probably
scratched in side where Cook shot from. What say you?

i set em up and hit a few of these yesterday. lemme know how they run for you, but i think it is definitely below center ball that works (completely counter intuitive to me as well before the dr explained). but if you get on the wrong side of the carom ball, it definitely does comes back....:eek:
:)