D.C. "BUCK" stories

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
There is a pool player/gambler around the DC area named Buck. He has lived here all of his life and excelled in one pocket. He has also always matched up and gambled HIGH (in his hey day) and still plays/matches up quite often.

He is one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet and I enjoy listening to his stories. In the last couple of years he has had many health problems/surgeries which has really hurt his game, but he has diligently practiced and is playing pretty darn well considering all he has been through health wise.

Buck told me stories of matching up with Grady Mathews in the 80's...Bill Incardona and Earl Strickland. I emailed Billy and Grady and got their feedback on Buck as well.

Anyhow, Buck is a funny guy and I'll share a few of his stories. They are pretty short and sweet and if you could hear Buck tell them in person you would really laugh, but I'll do what I can.

The first is when Buck played Grady Mathews in the early 80's.

Buck was at home late one night about to go to bed and he received a call from the pool room. "Buck, there is a guy here offering anyone 9-6." Buck said he turned them down as he was tired from a long day. He lay there for about 5 minutes and then jumped in bed exclaiming to out loud to no one in particular, "9-6!!!! Let me go get some of this 9-6." He went out to his car and drove to the pool room and there was Grady. Grady introduced himself as FRED and they played for $300 a game. Buck beat him out of around $1800 and Buck laughs because he said Grady looked at the crowd in frustration and said something along the lines of, "No wonder he busts all of you m-fers. You said he can't shoot but he hasn't shot one wrong shot all night."

Buck also has a few stories of playing Jack Cooney as well a variety of gambling games...but I'll need to get more details about them from Buck.

Here is the Earl Strickland story. Buck was playing a young guy one day some one pocket and beating him pretty easily. Now, in his day Buck banked very well, was a solid shooter and moved very well. He was also quite slow and methodical and just doesn't give up a lot of shots or offensive opportunities. I've heard guys around here say that in his day they never saw Buck miss any shots or banks he was supposed to make. He is also pretty hilarious with the table talk. He said he was beating this young guy pretty easily...and the guy was telling him how it was too bad they hadn't played weeks ago because he could have bet higher being that he just won a big tournament but was robbed in his hotel room for 15K. Buck thought he was just telling bald-face lies and was making joking responses to this younger mans stories. He said something like, "YOUUU won a tournament? What kind of tournament was this?"..so Buck wins 6 games straight and goes to the bathroom. On his way to the bathroom his buddy stops him and excitedly says, "Do you know who you are playing?" Buck says, "Yeah..some deadbeat who can't play one pocket a lick." His buddy opens up some sort of billiard publication with Earl on the cover holding a pool cue like a machine gun and it said the name of the tournament he won. Buck folds the paper up and puts it under his arm. He non-chalantly walks over to Earl, un-folds the paper holding it out before Earl. He points to the photo of Earl and asks, "Is thissssssss you?". Earl smiles and says "Yes." Buck looks down, slowly shaking his head and breaking down his cue. "Oh noooooooooooo...I don't play no champion EVEN." This, after beating him six straight for two or three hundred a game. We all laugh at that one.

Buck tells of gambling with Billy Incardona as well. He said that he received 9-6 or 9-7. They played 3 times. Billy beat him the first time. He edged out Billy the second time, and they broke even one time. Billy told me to tell Buck he would buy him breakfast next time he saw him and remembered how funny Buck was. I asked Buck about that and he said in Vegas Billy had won some money but was complaining about the breakfast prices and Buck razzed him about that.

Anyhow, those are just a few stories that I enjoy from my good friend Buck and I wanted to share them with you.

I vaguely remember how Buck and I played, i'm thinking it was around 9/6. But I do remember Buck, what a character. Buck was really smart, really funny, and really slow when he played.. Not only was he a slow player to play against but if he thought it was bothering you he would then play slower.:mad: He would emphasize certain words when he spoke, like all the time. Plus he would talk very slow. That's what made him so funny, not only was he anextremely witty guy, he talked very clearly and slowly, while emphasizing all the colorful adjectives that an embellisher like Buck would do to entertain his customers/people. Buck was extremely entertaining when he played, he always had the entire room entertained with an endless attack of his sarcastic humor. Everyone was entertained...just about....with the exception of his opponent if he was losing.

Say hello to Buck for me, please.

Dr. Bill

Matt_24

Verified Member
I vaguely remember how Buck and I played, i'm thinking it was around 9/6. But I do remember Buck, what a character. Buck was really smart, really funny, and really slow when he played.. Not only was he a slow player to play against but if he thought it was bothering you he would then play slower.:mad: He would emphasize certain words when he spoke, like all the time. Plus he would talk very slow. That's what made him so funny, not only was he anextremely witty guy, he talked very clearly and slowly, while emphasizing all the colorful adjectives that an embellisher like Buck would do to entertain his customers/people. Buck was extremely entertaining when he played, he always had the entire room entertained with an endless attack of his sarcastic humor. Everyone was entertained...just about....with the exception of his opponent if he was losing.

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill,

You are exact in your description of Buck's verbal communication skills. My re-telling of his stories, while almost verbatim, is only 45% as entertaining as "hearing" and "seeing" Buck tell it! The Earl Strickland story is my favorite. I've asked him to re-tell it probably 5 times over years just to watch new people hear it, and I crack up every.....single..time.

Stay well,
Matt

Last edited:

Matt_24

Verified Member
P.S. I couldn't resist buying this off of ebay to give to Buck next time I see him.

Attachments

• photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 1

Frank Wojo

Verified Member
Matt 24

Matt 24

Matt, I spent the afternoon today with Buck at Champion Billiards in Frederick, MD. I told him about this thread. He said he is going to call you tonight.

Wedge

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Dr. Bill

All this talk about Buck makes me a bit homesick. As most of you know, I'm from the D.C. area and I've known Buck and many of the others who have been named during this thread for many many years. Dr. Bill, You are right on with your description of Buck's tone of voice. Slow and deep with inflections on the adjectives. He is quick witted and I've never seen him as anything other than a gentleman though he was never a man to hold back an opportunity to take a friendly verbal jab at some deserving subject.

Buck an I played a few times. As I remember the last time we played I had to give him 9-7 and I won pretty good. That was sometime in the '90s in Champion Billiards in Rockville.

About a year ago I went back to Frederick Md. to visit my sister and stopped in Champions located on the main drag. I asked Gary Allen, the room owner if there was anyone who might want to play some and he steered me to this guy hitting balls in the back room. When I approached him I saw immediately that it was Buck. We didn't play any but he told me he was playing a fair amount of poker in West Virginia. He said there wasn't much pool action anymore. All the pool players in the area were playing poker now.

It was nice to see Buck. I always liked him. He was always a sincere pool player and gave and I'm sure still gives a fair and honest game of pool.

If any of you here happen to see Buck, please tell him "Hi" from "Tom Tom"

Frank Wojo

Verified Member
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

All this talk about Buck makes me a bit homesick. As most of you know, I'm from the D.C. area and I've known Buck and many of the others who have been named during this thread for many many years. Dr. Bill, You are right on with your description of Buck's tone of voice. Slow and deep with inflections on the adjectives. He is quick witted and I've never seen him as anything other than a gentleman though he was never a man to hold back an opportunity to take a friendly verbal jab at some deserving subject.

Buck an I played a few times. As I remember the last time we played I had to give him 9-7 and I won pretty good. That was sometime in the '90s in Champion Billiards in Rockville.

About a year ago I went back to Frederick Md. to visit my sister and stopped in Champions located on the main drag. I asked Gary Allen, the room owner if there was anyone who might want to play some and he steered me to this guy hitting balls in the back room. When I approached him I saw immediately that it was Buck. We didn't play any but he told me he was playing a fair amount of poker in West Virginia. He said there wasn't much pool action anymore. All the pool players in the area were playing poker now.

It was nice to see Buck. I always liked him. He was always a sincere pool player and gave and I'm sure still gives a fair and honest game of pool.

If any of you here happen to see Buck, please tell him "Hi" from "Tom Tom"

I will probably see Buck tomorrow I will tell him you said Hi!

Wedge

Matt_24

Verified Member
Matt, I spent the afternoon today with Buck at Champion Billiards in Frederick, MD. I told him about this thread. He said he is going to call you tonight.

Wedge

Buck called me and we had a great laugh. He kept saying, "Yeah, my friend pulled up old AZBilliards and there must have been 15 pages of notes." I kept saying, "No Buck, this is Onepocket.org...I told you about this thread a long time ago." and he would say, "Yeah, old AZBilliards....and you even told how I got started playing one pocket, hahahaha....". He seemed to get a kick out of it. Can't wait to see my old friend again next time I make it up that way.

Frank Wojo

Verified Member
Actually

Actually

Buck called me and we had a great laugh. He kept saying, "Yeah, my friend pulled up old AZBilliards and there must have been 15 pages of notes." I kept saying, "No Buck, this is Onepocket.org...I told you about this thread a long time ago." and he would say, "Yeah, old AZBilliards....and you even told how I got started playing one pocket, hahahaha....". He seemed to get a kick out of it. Can't wait to see my old friend again next time I make it up that way.

Buck was referring to a thread I recently posted on AZ. It gets off track sometimes but has a lot of memories! Below is the link...over 3,000 hits and 70+ responses!

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=351236

Wedge

Matt_24

Verified Member
Just quickly revitalizing this thread for DC BUCK. I went to DC a few weeks ago for Thanksgiving and called Buck en route (during my 14 hour drive from St Louis area). We met up at Fast Eddies to have some lunch and hang out for a few hours. It was great seeing him and of course something funny was bound to happen w/ Buck's comedic sense of humor and that booming voice.

Another guy happened to be there who I would also see in Richmond from time to time (where I was recently stationed) and he asked me about a guy he would watch me battle against in Richmond. I responded, "Who?". He answered, "You know....that black guy who always had on baseball caps...the drug dealer." I responded, "Drug dealer?? That guy is Active Duty like me and we are the same rank!". With that, Buck almost spit out his drink exclaiming for all, "Ain't that about a b*tch! The man probably has a distinguished military career but he's got to be a drug dealer." It doesn't sound as funny here, but for those who know Buck it was hilarious in the "way" he said it and everyone was laughing (except for the guy who brought it up).

It was great catching up with my old pal.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
enjoyed reading through this thread.

also enjoyed meeting matt over the weekend and hitting a few balls around on sunday.

[turns out we live less than 10 miles from each other. hoping we can spar often :)]

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
D.C. "BUCK" stories

Do you guys know a one pocket player in the DC area named Bernard?

Matt_24

Verified Member
Hey, just revitalizing this thread for a minute. I haven't spoke to Buck in at least a year or more and the number I had for him (for so many years) wasn't working. Can anyone put me in touch with him? If someone can call him and tell him his old friend Air Force Matt wants to talk to him. Message me. Thanks.

jlcomp45

Verified Member
From
Cape Girardeau MO
Thanks for doing that Matt - it let me remember how much I enjoyed reading it the 1st time through. I had pulled it up after meeting you at Miller's house last year. Hope you're doing well.

John

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Hey, just revitalizing this thread for a minute. I haven't spoke to Buck in at least a year or more and the number I had for him (for so many years) wasn't working. Can anyone put me in touch with him? If someone can call him and tell him his old friend Air Force Matt wants to talk to him. Message me. Thanks.

Maybe call Fast Eddie's (Revolution) in Springfield during the day and ask for him?

Matt_24

Verified Member
I stumbled across my old thread. I haven't spoken to BUCK in many years and would love to catch up with him. Does anyone have his current phone number? Could you send it to me via the forum message system? I hope he is doing well. This thread brought back memories.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I stumbled across my old thread. I haven't spoken to BUCK in many years and would love to catch up with him. Does anyone have his current phone number? Could you send it to me via the forum message system? I hope he is doing well. This thread brought back memories.
It's a really good thread to revisit, thank you!!

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Sadly, I've lost contact. But I hope he's still around, doing well, and still would think poorly of my shot selections!