Daulton vs. Richeson 1998 LOP

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I think I would play the 3 ball. combo to my hole and bring the cue up and back.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Shannon rolls his ball with the best of em, he'll cut the ball on the foot rail closest to his pocket and play shape for the ball by his side pocket and work his way back to the combo on the foot rail.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Shannon rolls his ball with the best of em, he'll cut the ball on the foot rail closest to his pocket and play shape for the ball by his side pocket and work his way back to the combo on the foot rail.

why take a tougher cut when the ball by the side pocket offers easier cut and nautrall shape.....:confused:
icbw

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
why take a tougher cut when the ball by the side pocket offers easier cut and nautrall shape.....:confused:
icbw

For me, the cut down the long rail is Not a cinch shot, and with such a thin hit, making sure the cue ball ends up on the other long rail to not sell out doesn't appear to be a high percentage shot. Both the cut and the cue ball speed must be perfect.

Cory in dc

Verified Member

This is the hero shot that I see.

But I'd also think about just cutting the 9-ball down the rail firm and send the cueball twice across to ball closest to my pocket while trying not to sell out the 5.

If the combo is completely wired, I'd shoot the billiard. Down 6-2, I don't have much to lose except the game.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
icbw

Heh. Funny how differently we see this stuff. The 1-ball by Shannon's pocket looks like a much easier shot to me, and from there, easy to get better on the ball by the side, then to the combo.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

This is the shot I would shoot except I would hit it with a high ball and send the cue ball back up table. The position will develop much easier shooting the shot in this fashion, plus you will keep the pressure on your opponent .

Dr. Bill

Hello Dustin, nice call but Dr. Bill is right! Three with the OB and three plus with the stone. Once the dangerous ball near Richie's pocket is cleared, the cut shot becomes much easier and a safe bet. No need to try to do everything on the one shot.

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
This is the shot I would shoot except I would hit it with a high ball and send the cue ball back up table. The position will develop much easier shooting the shot in this fashion, plus you will keep the pressure on your opponent .

Dr. Bill

The only other option that I would consider would be to play the three ball combination and send the cue ball back to it's original position. This shot may create a problem for your opponent because you will position balls in play that would be hard to defend (possibly) and your cue ball would be in a safe area of the table not leaving any return shots. However, I still favor the three rail bank because it clears your opponents pocket and could easily put you in a position to become a legitimate threat.

If you notice the common thread in both my options is the cue ball placement. Also with both options the cue ball plays natural back to the original position which is always a good thing.

Dr. Bill

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Good eye, Miller! It would be interesting to hit the shot 20 times and see what kind of position advantage you'd have after the shot. The only thing that is tough is striking a nice draw stroke 9'.

I imagine that a decent portion of the time, the 5 would be close to your hole with your man very close to the foot rail and a ball. At least, that is how I would look to play it.

Maybe others would hit it harder to shepherd some balls their way?

I do see where going with a high ball could give you some action as well.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Just throwing it out there that the 2 rail on the three also goes in your hole, although it has to be hit very accurately. Tough shot, but you would also leave the Q down on the bottom rail behind that three ball combo.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, we've got some pretty sharp shooters on the site! Miller gets the cookie for guessing the shot Shannon selected.

Cardone and Grady commentated, and Grady was just explaining why he might choose that shot, when Shannon stepped up and fired at it.

Daulton-Rich 2.jpg

I'd thought he might have shot the 1 or the 9, but on closer examination, the 1 is a very tricky cut (more so than it shows from this angle), and Shannon wanted to make sure to remove the 5, since the 5 was makeable from just about anywhere on the table.

Incidentally, this is not an easy bank. I tried it 3 or 4 times before I hit it as good as did Shannon. Here was the leave:

Daulton-Rich 3.jpg

But this is a great example of a top player who is an excellent shot maker showing restraint in order to put himself in a much better position. Being down 6-2 many of us would have taken one of the two low percentage shots in attempt to run some balls.

~Doc