Onepocket.org only tourney

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
1P org Members' Tournament

It pains me greatly, but I am likely not going to be able to make it. One trip away from the wife/kids a year for pool is likely the limit for me (the Derby). Not that I won't try.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
It pains me greatly, but I am likely not going to be able to make it. One trip away from the wife/kids a year for pool is likely the limit for me (the Derby). Not that I won't try.

Hey Mitch, no matter what the outcome is of organizing the 1p.org only tourney maybe we should set up a derby 1p.org only mini tourney for whatever members show up and want to play. We could have matches throughout the week if/when we can get tables or just do it at that place you guys went this year downtown.

(Just a thought)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Since were most likely NOT going to get the financial hospitality as Bogies, I think the rules and the flow chart could easily be done by one or more of the participants, especially since it's NOT a 64 or 128 man board. In the eyes of the pool business and pool world....were just putting on ANOTHER pool tournament, but because of our demographics and being BOOMERS....our perspective with time has become different, because of our age, new respect of one another and great respect for the game. These attributes are NOT by any means the way the real world rolls in the pool room. Our great enjoyment and the fun we all had, is not the norm in a pool tournament, to expect that is naïve but in time and with a PLAN I think we could do Quarterly events/in different parts of the country to Qualify for Bogies and go from there. I think sticking with Bogies for now is Perfect, and when we get together at the next event, we should hash out some new ideas. I'd like ta see the something like this....as an example. Get with the local league operator and see if they might have a NEW player that is infatuated with pool and will give it there all to help a bunch of Old Boomers, and learn the right way about respect and consideration of the game and players from their grandpappys.

Bogies support is really good for the players and I've had many good games there. I just wish it was smoke free.

As for Memphis, I was just going with the flow. Houston is about the same distance for me so I don't really care. I don't have a schedule so It would be a last minute decision for me anyway. Do they smoke in Memphis or at the Rec Room?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Hey Mitch, no matter what the outcome is of organizing the 1p.org only tourney maybe we should set up a derby 1p.org only mini tourney for whatever members show up and want to play. We could have matches throughout the week if/when we can get tables or just do it at that place you guys went this year downtown.

(Just a thought)

Let's table that thought and see what happens here. 👍.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Way to much rhetoric.... Confusion with schedules.. Times.. Dates.. Places...

Getting it together and having it attended by at least 20 members who agree on all the things involved looks very difficult... Some of you who haven't replied must have realized this already...

Looks like it ain't gonna work... :sorry fellas I just didn't think it through.

DCC looks like the spot for the members who are going to be there anyway.
Maybe away from the tournament site at another pool room, a mini tournament finished in one day, like a race to 2 winners side and race to 1 on the loss side.

Again:sorry fellas, in a perfect world it could have worked...

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Getting it together and having it attended by at least 20 members who agree on all the things involved looks very difficult... Some of you who haven't replied must have realized this already...

Maybe away from the tournament site at another pool room, a mini tournament finished in one day, like a race to 2 winners side and race to 1 on the loss side.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel.

We'll see.

Cory in dc

Verified Member

I'm not ready to throw in the towel.

We'll see.

I detected a lot of enthusiasm, and even more opinions and ideas.

It looks like LSJohn is in charge. I think if you just pick two locations and dates for people to vote on. That will give you a good sense of likely turnout.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

It looks like LSJohn is in charge. I think if you just pick two locations and dates for people to vote on. That will give you a good sense of likely turnout.

Rather than a specific location, I'd rather see who is interested in the Midwest, and if we get enough sentiment in favor of that, we could start checking with room owners to see what would be available to us in that region.

Looks like KC, Des Moines, Chicago and Memphis are all good possibilities. I think chances are that most people who would commit to one of those would commit to any of them.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

I think you're right, Cory. Some of the guys are just waiting to see where and when such an event might take place, and then they'll decide. That's the way most pool players are. They don't want to participate in the planning, etc. We might get a better head count if a venue or two would commit, then we could ask for a polling of potential attendees.

I haven't yet heard back yet from Frank at Lacy's cue. I'll try phoning him again tonight. Most of the guys seem to be desiring of a non-smoking venue.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I think you're right, Cory. Some of the guys are just waiting to see where and when such an event might take place, and then they'll decide. That's the way most pool players are. They don't want to participate in the planning, etc. We might get a better head count if a venue or two would commit, then we could ask for a polling of potential attendees.

I haven't yet heard back yet from Frank at Lacy's cue. I'll try phoning him again tonight. Most of the guys seem to be desiring of a non-smoking venue.

~Doc

I'll see Bill Rowsey in Memphis this weekend. That's as good a place as any to start, and a bonus is that he's a member here. I don't know what the smoking situation is, but I'll make it known when I find out... IF Rowsey is supportive of the idea of using his place.

poolandpokerman

Verified Member
pool tourney

pool tourney

I think once you set a date and where it is going to be played, more players will commit, it may be slow the first year but will get better every year. Good luck, hope I can attend.
Tom

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I'll see Bill Rowsey in Memphis this weekend. That's as good a place as any to start, and a bonus is that he's a member here. I don't know what the smoking situation is, but I'll make it known when I find out... IF Rowsey is supportive of the idea of using his place.

Memphis open is around the first week in August with a 16 player one pocket Tournament

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Despite several phone calls and an Email, I haven't yet heard back from the owner of Lacy's Cue. Perhaps JTom or one of the N.O. guys could stop by and speak to Frank about the subject.

~Doc

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Yeah, that's at Tracy Whitney's place, Highpockets, first weekend in Aug. I'm shooting for first weekend in Sept.

Tennessee? September is often the hottest of the hot muggy months in the South. How many connections are needed to get there?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Tennessee? September is often the hottest of the hot muggy months in the South. How many connections are needed to get there?

I know your preference Bill, and if someone wants to make an effort at organizing something on the Worst :D Coast, go for it, but I don't really feel like investing into a location I can't attend.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Yeah, that's at Tracy Whitney's place, Highpockets, first weekend in Aug. I'm shooting for first weekend in Sept.

You'll conflict with Labor Day, which could pose a challenge, at least for those of us who still have kids around.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Quick plug... I know Tracy and he is a helluva good guy and his place is supposed to be beautiful. I think our own onepocketguy (Todd) is a fixture there.

calibration

Verified Member
From
Clarkston, Michigan
Tournament

Tournament

Let's start out with a location that is central to a majority.

Red Shoes in Chicago, or maybe more south... let's start with a location that has near accomodations.