One Pocket 'Shot Clock' and Marty Herman

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Well, the issue of time came up again during our broadcast of the Hard Times One-Pocket over the weekend. This time it was injected by Marty Herman in the chatroom, saying, "I (Marty) wish people would wake up and start realizing that a one-pocket shot clock/game clock is better for the game."

Marty has subsequently blocked me on Facebook (again) because we have a difference of opinion. Geraldine was more upset about bringing it up than I was and she made a few points which, I wouldn't have necessarily brought up but I believe drove it home for Marty enough for him to block me.

"If you wanna complain about the format of a tournament, quit talking and DO something. Run you're own damn tournament with your own money and put people on a shotclock in YOUR One-Pocket Tournament. Quit trying to tell other people how they should be doing their events!"

I actually had to calm Geraldine down and defend Marty for expressing his opinion, but to no avail, I find myself 'blocked' for the second time in 3 years by the legendary Marty Herman. I have to kind of side with Geraldine too. It's a fine line really. She's got her opinion too and deserves to express it.

What do I think about the issue at hand? Shot Clocks are for Tournament Directors and not for One Pocket Players.

'nuff said!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
This is not relating to the specific tournament or Marty Herman (whom I do not know).

However, generally speaking, I have definitely slowed down a bit when looking at the entire table and thinking about the shot sometimes, are there any dead balls, etc. That being said, I still think I play pretty fast compared to a lot of other 1 pocket players.

If someone else controlled it and I was not responsible for the time of my opponent with a phone app or whatever, I would not be opposed to a shot clock personally but that is just my opinion.

(knock on wood) I have only played a match 1 time where my opponent played so brutally slow that I almost had to quit playing. There is slow and methodical and then there is just plain super slow :)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Well, the issue of time came up again during our broadcast of the Hard Times One-Pocket over the weekend. This time it was injected by Marty Herman in the chatroom, saying, "I (Marty) wish people would wake up and start realizing that a one-pocket shot clock/game clock is better for the game."

Marty has subsequently blocked me on Facebook (again) because we have a difference of opinion. Geraldine was more upset about bringing it up than I was and she made a few points which, I wouldn't have necessarily brought up but I believe drove it home for Marty enough for him to block me.

"If you wanna complain about the format of a tournament, quit talking and DO something. Run you're own damn tournament with your own money and put people on a shotclock in YOUR One-Pocket Tournament. Quit trying to tell other people how they should be doing their events!"

I actually had to calm Geraldine down and defend Marty for expressing his opinion, but to no avail, I find myself 'blocked' for the second time in 3 years by the legendary Marty Herman. I have to kind of side with Geraldine too. It's a fine line really. She's got her opinion too and deserves to express it.

What do I think about the issue at hand? Shot Clocks are for Tournament Directors and not for One Pocket Players.

'nuff said!

It's not a fine line. If Marty had said, "I think it would be a really good idea for tournament directors to put in shot clocks for 1P tournaments," he would have simply been expressing his opinion. But he chose to express it in a way that implied that he was certain he was right and anyone who disagreed was simply wrong, and stupid. That makes Geraldine's response quite appropriate.

If ya wanna tell people they're stupid, go for it, but don't expect them to take it as a friendly suggestion.