Making a ball on the break

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Has anyone else noticed that if you fail to make contact with the head ball and you hit the second ball full with a nearly fully loaded CB that you will make the corner ball from time to time? Similarly, have you noticed that those who really load a break and DO hit the head ball first also tend to make a ball sometimes? I've noticed Alex makes balls more often than other players I've watched it this manner.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Has anyone else noticed that if you fail to make contact with the head ball and you hit the second ball full with a nearly fully loaded CB that you will make the corner ball from time to time? Similarly, have you noticed that those who really load a break and DO hit the head ball first also tend to make a ball sometimes? I've noticed Alex makes balls more often than other players I've watched it this manner.

My own observation is that the closer you come to missing the head ball, the better your chances of making a ball on your break -- it is kind of like flirting with disaster, since missing the head ball often involves a sell out. Of course if you sell out due to missing the head ball, but still make one on your break, who cares, lol :D:D

bstroud

Verified Member
A lot depends on the table, the balls and the way the balls are racked.

I you experiment on a particular table you may find a break that works well on that table.

I know from personal experience on a table at Kolby's in Tempe that I was able to make a ball in my pocket 2 to 3 times out of 5 breaks. The times it didn't go in it was hanging near my hole.

Even broke and ran 10 and out once.

Bill S.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
My own observation is that the closer you come to missing the head ball, the better your chances of making a ball on your break -- it is kind of like flirting with disaster, since missing the head ball often involves a sell out. Of course if you sell out due to missing the head ball, but still make one on your break, who cares, lol :D:D

That's the thought I usually have and why I have noticed it on different tables: "Man, I'm glad I made something with that sell out break!"

bstroud

Verified Member
You don't have to hit the first two balls.

There are 3 other balls in that row!

Bill S.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Break

Break

On new cloth I usually hit the 2nd/3rd balls. I don't make a ball but get a better spread.

When giving weight (Doesn't happen often), I may hit the bottom two balls with extreme right and bring the cue ball uptable (Breaking from the left side).

When your break is not working, you can experiment with various breaks, especially on strange equipment.

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
I try and curve the cueball in a bit and hit the first two balls simultaneously if I want to actually try and make a ball. Some racks allow you to do this and not sell out, some leak the end ball right in front of your opponents hole.

A friend was on a decent run at straight pool, and had missed the rack on his break shot. He remembered making a ball in one pocket by missing the head ball on the break. Shot right into the head ball (second ball in one pocket) and the ball he called went right in. Ran an 82 I think...

bstroud

Verified Member
I spent a lot of time trying different break shots.

Now I have one that never leaks the corner ball and makes a ball in my pocket or puts it very close about 40% of the time.

Do your homework.

Bill S.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I try and curve the cueball in a bit and hit the first two balls simultaneously if I want to actually try and make a ball. Some racks allow you to do this and not sell out, some leak the end ball right in front of your opponents hole.

A friend was on a decent run at straight pool, and had missed the rack on his break shot. He remembered making a ball in one pocket by missing the head ball on the break. Shot right into the head ball (second ball in one pocket) and the ball he called went right in. Ran an 82 I think...

I have found if I really want to make a ball with a full rack (which never comes up mind you, unless screwing around), it is one of the corner balls going one rail. On big pockets I actually found it fairly reliable. Come across the corner ball, the ball kisses straight to the end rail, and the induced spin from your cut can throw it right in off the rail. That pocket is a long ways away, but his is what I'd shoot if I was going to try and (falsely, haha) continue a run in straight pool.

I personally think the corner ball goes, in the way it's being discussed in this thread, as a function of luck, and only luck. It simply entirely depends on how the balls are racked. Further, I would hazard to guess (I haven't put too much thought into this particular facet), that it goes when the 2 balls that are touching the corner ball kind of both put a force onto the corner ball at the same time.

bstroud

Verified Member
Think of the corner ball as the back ball of a 9 ball rack and what do you see?

Bill S.