So much info, so little brain

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
I have several books and videos dealing with one pocket. How in the hell is one to absorb all the info in such a manner as to put it too use. I can look at hundreds of diagrams and after a while they just seem to run together. Do any of you actually think "Oh yea, I saw this on page 104 of such and such".

I must admit that my old brain is simply not capable of being able to file and retrive that much info without shorting out :eek: .

Am I doing something wrong, Pel

Eight & Out

Verified Member
I have about 30 videos on one-pocket and I found out this is the best way .I have a TV and VCR down in my basement and when I see a shot or safety I like I stop the tape and try out on the table.I may try it out 20 or 30 times before its burned into my brain.If I try to remember all the shots after watching the tape I may not remember even half of them.

Woody_968

From
Terre Haute, Indiana
I would say more than learning exact shots I gain more by just picking up on concepts. I guess its not so much learning what they did, but why they did it.

Rod

Verified Member
From
Phoenix, Az
Most shots or many at least are just variations of a similar shot. Like Woody said, why they or you should do it. Learning what english, if any, type of stroke and speed changes how both balls react. Once you know why things happen your game improves.

If anything IMO has the best effect for what your trying to accomplish it's learning how to strike the c/b exactly where you intended. If your capable of doing that your game will improve in a hurry. Without consistant c/b contact shots just don't come off as planned. Ie, consistant stroke.

Tapes, books are all good for learning new shots but read the above paragraph. LOL

Rod

Deeman

Verified Member
Rod said:
Most shots or many at least are just variations of a similar shot. Like Woody said, why they or you should do it. Learning what english, if any, type of stroke and speed changes how both balls react. Once you know why things happen your game improves.

If anything IMO has the best effect for what your trying to accomplish it's learning how to strike the c/b exactly where you intended. If your capable of doing that your game will improve in a hurry. Without consistant c/b contact shots just don't come off as planned. Ie, consistant stroke.

Tapes, books are all good for learning new shots but read the above paragraph. LOL

Rod

Rod,

"Hitting the cue ball EXACTLY where you intended." There's so much in that statement and I can't seem to get that across to people. Maye some people are just not born with a pool player's "attention to detail" but I see many fine players who just can't make the leap to great over this issue.

Deeman

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
DeeMan... glad you found your way here... :)

Good thought about "Hitting the cue ball EXACTLY where you intended."

Even when you do 'hit it exactly where you intended' sometimes you you get 'unexpected results'

But, for the most part, "Hitting the cue ball EXACTLY where you intended." is an exercise that can take a lifetime to become proficient.

titanic jerry

Verified Member
recollections

recollections

Hi Pel,
Been a little under the weather but am now able to sit up and take weak tea.

Saw your post and have a question for you? Do you wonder why when we are going to bank a ball we no longer measure the distances and cut it in in half and all that? We just step into the shot and shoot the bank because we are using our memories. We have banked the balls so many times over the years we automatically know where to hit the ball.

Efren Reyes played rotation for years. How many times do you think you get hooked in rotation versus even snooker? Of course he kicks good.

Recollect back when you were learning it was slow, as you could only really learn by watching or playing more skilled players. Now you are inundating yourself with way too much material to absorb. You know the reaction you get from how you hit the cue ball and you know it is pretty consistent. I would suggest that you pick one thing at a time to improve on and concentrate on that one objective.

Take it all one day at a time.And then after you take one particular shot and can consistently put the ball and the cue ball where you want and are very satisfied with your accomplishment you will see someone shoot the shot differently and you will like their result better so you can start all over again. Isn't One Pocket Great!!

Awile back a guy aked me what I looked at last before I pull the trigger,the cue ball or the object ball. He was sure because all the magazines were now talking about how you should look at the object ball last. I'm sure it is a matter of choice but I know the last thing I look at is the cue ball because I want to know where the cue tip is touching the cue ball. How can you judge whether or not you are hitting the ball where you want if you are not looking at it?

Still looking forward to meeting up with you and playing a little one hole.

Titanic Jerry