16 Balls 16 Chessmen

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Do you play chess?

What a coincidence. A full rack of pool balls, plus the cue ball equals 16.

If you play chess, your given sixteen pieces for your side.

Does that make the cue ball the Queen or the King?

Does the mental game of chess help your one pocket?

Efren seems to enjoy it

Sunny One ....when ya gonna write for the billiard publications????

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i really dont play chess but to me the cue ball is the queen since she has the most freedom of movement

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I don't know if i ever told you this B, but in high school i was very close to grand master status. Of course it was the seventies so psychedelics kind of got in the way after that. As to your question, there is a very, very simple answer.:eek:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I don't know if i ever told you this B, but in high school i was very close to grand master status. Of course it was the seventies so psychedelics kind of got in the way after that. As to your question, there is a very, very simple answer.:eek:

Are you sure they didn't help you?

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
Hey Bill,

I would think the cue ball would be compared to the queen in chess, since it can move in all directions. The object ball considered to be the king would vary depending on the game, whichever one gets the win.

The only similarity to chess that I can see is the competitive nature of the game. Other than that, chess is more mental where as pool is mental and physical. In pool you have to possess hand/eye coordination along with knowledge of the game. In the physical aspect, I would say pool is more difficult than chess.

Chess is definitely a game. Pool is a game/sport due to the physical side.
For example, chess players can play at a very high level at 70 years old or so, this is common. Pool players usually compete at their best in their late 20's through 40's. I'm just basing that on most competitive players today. There are exceptions but most players tend to fade a bit in their 50's and later.
JMHO

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
My opinion is it would have to be like ALL chess pieces because every time you move it your either moving it to a strategic position and or using it to remove another piece from the board. Unlike a queen or any other piece it can also jump.... Like a knight..

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
While in Atlanta a few years ago, I met a guy who had invested a lot of time and no small investment into a game of Chess on a pool table. I played a few games with him after learning all the rules. He had a special cloth made as well as other artifacts but I can't remember much else about it. Quite elaborate. I don't think there is any chance of it taking over.

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
Do you play chess?

What a coincidence. A full rack of pool balls, plus the cue ball equals 16.

If you play chess, your given sixteen pieces for your side.

Does that make the cue ball the Queen or the King?

Does the mental game of chess help your one pocket?

Efren seems to enjoy it

Sunny One ....when ya gonna write for the billiard publications????
i play every day and have for years--so much fun but i play fast, but thats why i enjoy it...... sure, it helps keep your mind fertile, i believe......