Orcullo/Pagulayan One Pocket

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
There are many people that feel Pagulayan is much the better player, imo this match is very close. Orcullo has too many tools to say that Pagulayan is a clear favorite he just knows how to win, period. I believe he won the U.S. Open twice and that was before he improved his game, now he's playing much better. If I had to put a line on this match it would be 6/5 pick em, take your choice.

If they play I believe a much better match structure would be to play multiple sets. Race to six best six out of eleven sets, the first player to win six sets of a race to six is the winner.

This type of a contest will be much more interesting and entertaining to watch, plus it will put more of a demand on the players to perform throughout the entirety of the match. There will be much more pressure on the players because every race to six could be decided by either one or two games, that's pressure, excitement, and entertainment.

What's your thoughts on the players and the structure of the match?

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
There are many people that feel Pagulayan is much the better player, imo this match is very close. Orcullo has too many tools to say that Pagulayan is a clear favorite he just knows how to win, period. I believe he won the U.S. Open twice and that was before he improved his game, now he's playing much better. If I had to put a line on this match it would be 6/5 pick em, take your choice.

If they play I believe a much better match structure would be to play multiple sets. Race to six best six out of eleven sets, the first player to win six sets of a race to six is the winner.

This type of a contest will be much more interesting and entertaining to watch, plus it will put more of a demand on the players to perform throughout the entirety of the match. There will be much more pressure on the players because every race to six could be decided by either one or two games, that's pressure, excitement, and entertainment.

Dr. Bill

I'm with you on every point.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
After watching Dennis completely dominate Alex at the DCC and then his dominance against Scott, I would put Dennis at a 2-1 favorite and Alex an 8-5 winner. I do like the idea of races leading to more semi matches.

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

iI like that structure also for these guys.. I think your line is accurate also.I think Alex is the favorite but he isnt going to be wearing a ski mask

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

If you were backing Alex what conditions pocket size, old cloth, etc.. would you want

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
If you were backing Alex what conditions pocket size, old cloth, etc.. would you want

We are talking about the worlds best technicians in Pagulayan and Orcullo, there's not much of a difference in their ball striking skills. Both players handle the cue ball extremely well and they both are very smart players who hold up well under pressure. As far as their understanding of the game the slightest edge should go to Pagulayan, however, in Pagulayan last match in the finals at the Derby he played some very questionable shots which dropped him a few rungs on the ladder of discretion.:sorry I believe based off of current performances you would have to give the edge to Orcullo, he's the player that is in more action on the road and now in challenge matches, also lets not forget that Orcullo is the 2017 Derby City All Around Champion :heh Winning does wonderful things for the head, in terms of confidence. Now that Orcullo defeated Frost as soundly as he did makes me believe that Orcullo may believe that he has arrived as one of if not the best one pocket player in the world.;) I would if I were him.:heh

Dr. Bill

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
We are talking about the worlds best technicians in Pagulayan and Orcullo, there's not much of a difference in their ball striking skills. Now that Orcullo defeated Frost as soundly as he did makes me believe that Orcullo may believe that he has arrived as one of if not the best one pocket player in the world.;) I would if I were him.:heh

Dr. Bill

I already thought you were the best!!!:cool:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I think Dennis is on top of the world right now as Dr. Bill pointed out but I would still bet on Alex in any even one pocket match that they play on any table with any pocket size in any format.

Could Alex lose? Sure he could, but I bet he wins more than he loses and that's why I would bet on him.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Just brought this up in Discord chat and wanted to get some other's opinions on it. What if they set up a match where Alex and Dennis had to play rotating shot partner game vs Efren. Are the young guns going to win that?

You may think, heck yes, but I don't know. There's a lot to be said about always getting to shoot when it's your turn and then having to alternate with a partner.

Maybe Efren is the wrong captain, what if it were Frost or SVB or (insert name here). Could any 1 person play captain against these 2 and win?

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but was curious if anyone wanted to chime in on their opinion...

El Chapo

Verified Member
Pag played frost at hard times on actual tight pockets some years back. The match is on YouTube. To me it's the finest one pocket I've seen in the win by Alex. It's such a perfect blend of great moving and confidence offense when the opportunities ar there. I think it's better one pocket played by Alex than what orcollo played, but orcollo did pocket balls better in the match against Scott.

I like Alex if he squares off with Dennis.

Here's the match, it's a long one (three parts) but well worth it with one of the best in the booth Richard, at least for part of it (he gets kicked out of the booth for cussing).
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgz_py5nhaE

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

Dr. Bill

Slight edge to Dennis on a table like he and Frost just played on... Very slight, only because I believe he would win most of the games where the long rail bank played a key part in the outcome.. His long rail banking was phenomenal in that entire match, and it won him multiple games against Frost as I expect it might against Alex as well... He also brought it from downtown many times and only missed a couple of those tough shots against Frost... Slight edge to Dennis on these type of shots also... IMO, Dennis will not win the first shot against Alex more than 45% of the time, on this table or any other for that matter.. Will that be enough to enable Dennis to win the match... Close, very close...

I'd give a slight to Alex on a table with tighter pockets and worn in cloth... I believe he has enough overall knowledge of the entire game to win him the first shot in a majority of the games and he will protect the lead better on this type table because Dennis won't be able to make a high percentage of those tough banks and shots like he did on the table he and Scott played on... Will Alex be able to stand up to the incredible shot making ability of Dennis? The great CB control Dennis exhibits? The tough mental attitude Dennis brings to the table? I believe if Alex gets himself in condition and is game ready, he will beat Dennis...
But like Hacker said, neither one is gonna be wearing a ski mask!

I really like the format, it promises to be exciting all the way through, ( barring either player winning 4 sets in a row ) and as close as they figure on paper, that ain't happening...

One thing is for sure, it's gonna be a long match... Perhaps a 60 second shot clock would be advisable for these guys... And who would that favor???

El Chapo

Verified Member
I don't think Dennis camp wants to play pag, at least for now.

I personally liked the long race, but I see what Billy is getting at. I just really enjoy seeing the meltdowns and mistakes staying with a player the entire match. I think it's fitting when a player like scott sorta goes on tilt that those games and bad judgement stay with him, and vice versa (when you're absolutely composed and concentrating an entire match, that all stays with you). It wasn't as exciting, but I thought it was very fitting Dennis got to sort of cruise to a stress free victory. That's what you should be rewarded with if you play like that imo.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Just think about all the chatter if Dennis and Scott only played race to 10. OMG! Scott won after being down 5-0. Scott's the best. OMG! OMG!

Kinda reminds me of the major tennis tournaments where the men play best of 5 and someone comes back from being down 2-0. If it would have been a regular tournament,best of 3 they would be saying the player got an a$$ whooping instead of what a great comeback.

GriffinG

Verified Member
From
NW Indiana
I don't think Dennis camp wants to play pag, at least for now.

I personally liked the long race, but I see what Billy is getting at. I just really enjoy seeing the meltdowns and mistakes staying with a player the entire match. I think it's fitting when a player like scott sorta goes on tilt that those games and bad judgement stay with him, and vice versa (when you're absolutely composed and concentrating an entire match, that all stays with you). It wasn't as exciting, but I thought it was very fitting Dennis got to sort of cruise to a stress free victory. That's what you should be rewarded with if you play like that imo.

I think you're right, they'd be crazy to play Alex next. who comes after that?

no way do you take that match up when guys like Chohan are willing to get dusted off first. get that $$$