Artie vs Ricky Byrd

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
I was at the pool hall last night talking to Bear at the Billiard Club in Mobile. He said he and Ricky Byrd were going to Las Vegas Saturday and Byrd was going to play Artie one pocket for $5,000 a game. Don't know if the amount is correct but they are going to play according to Bear. Has anyone else heard that?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Hey, George! Long time, no see, ole buddy. I imagine if there's anything to that match-up, we'd hear some rumors about it. As you know, Ricky likes to play for $500 a game, or several thousand per set. I'd be surprised if he were to play anyone for $5000 a game. Artie has been saying for quite awhile now that he's lost his ball pocketing ability these days, so that's another factor to throw in. And you know that Bear is full of gorgonzola, and loves to B.S.

Remember several years ago that Ricky and his partner played against Artie & Billy, and he stiffed them for several thousand. Billy had to call in a favor for them to get what they were owed. So you'd think Artie would be a little gun shy of getting paid if he beat Ricky.

Maybe Cardone or Lenny has heard something about it.

Does Ricky have his new room in the East Shore? Does Bear still have the pool tables in the front, and the karaoke in the back?

~Doc

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Hey, George! Long time, no see, ole buddy. I imagine if there's anything to that match-up, we'd hear some rumors about it. As you know, Ricky likes to play for $500 a game, or several thousand per set. I'd be surprised if he were to play anyone for $5000 a game. Artie has been saying for quite awhile now that he's lost his ball pocketing ability these days, so that's another factor to throw in. And you know that Bear is full of gorgonzola, and loves to B.S.

Remember several years ago that Ricky and his partner played against Artie & Billy, and he stiffed them for several thousand. Billy had to call in a favor for them to get what they were owed. So you'd think Artie would be a little gun shy of getting paid if he beat Ricky.

Maybe Cardone or Lenny has heard something about it.

Does Ricky have his new room in the East Shore? Does Bear still have the pool tables in the front, and the karaoke in the back?

~Doc

Yea Doc...Bear's place is still set up with 9' tables in the front but I think he added more 7' tables to the back and stopped the karaoke.

The room is open on the Eastern Shore but I haven't been over yet.

My buddy said the Golden Nugget sent Byrd a airline ticket and gave him a room. Byrd and Bear are definitely going out, supposedly to play Artie. I think Bear is putting up most, if not all of the money, so I don't think there will be any foul play.

My buddy Tim spoke with Byrd and he said when they played last time it was for $3,000 a game and Byrd won 3 games. Then supposedly they played again, according to Byrd for $4,000 a game and Byrd won 2 games.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
extremely doubtful. Artie can't make a ball, doesn't like to play by the game.
Rod.

Same thing I was thinking Rod. But, Bear says they are going out to play Artie so I guess we'll see how things shape up.

JAM

Verified Member
Decisions, decisions. I think I'll take Artie over Ricky B. on this one for the cheese.

Of course, anything can happen when two warriors get in action. Tough call!

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Decisions, decisions. I think I'll take Artie over Ricky B. on this one for the cheese.

Of course, anything can happen when two warriors get in action. Tough call!

If they do play Jam, I'll take Byrd for $100 for a sweat bet.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
According to Bill Smith in the Member's Only forum, the two are playing: 5 ahead for $20K. Presumably he's spoken with Artie. Here's what Bill wrote:

"Artie and Ricky are playing, if the 'Bird' shows up!

They are NOT playing 5K a game, but, they are playing 5 AHEAD for $20K!

NO breaks, NO daily hour limit! Play till someone WINS!
"

But we don't yet know when, or at which venue.

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
According to Bill Smith in the Member's Only forum, the two are playing: 5 ahead for $20K. Presumably he's spoken with Artie. Here's what Bill wrote:

"

~Doc

I know Artie can play for 16 hours lol. Been there and done that. He never sat down once.

Good luck to Artie if they do play.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al

"

~Doc

Oh...thanks Doc. That sounds more like it.

chief

Verified Member
I will take Artie FOR hundred.

Last edited by a moderator:

JAM

Verified Member
If they do play Jam, I'll take Byrd for $100 for a sweat bet.

No bet, but thank you for your very kind offer. :D

I kind of just wanted to initiate a little pool fun on this forum, and if you and I were there in person, I'd take you up on the bet. I always enjoy a little action when sitting on the rail. It would be fun and, indeed, a cool sweat bet, gbru! :cool:

I am saddened to see this fun thread turn into crap. I always felt the air smelled cleaner on OnePocket.org forum. I come to the forums to have fun, but when they're not fun anymore, I leave.

Good luck to Artie and Ricky Byrd. They're both cool in my book, as are you, gbru. Best of rolls to all of you! :)

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
No bet, but thank you for your very kind offer. :D

I kind of just wanted to initiate a little pool fun on this forum, and if you and I were there in person, I'd take you up on the bet. I always enjoy a little action when sitting on the rail. It would be fun and, indeed, a cool sweat bet, gbru! :cool:

I am saddened to see this fun thread turn into crap. I always felt the air smelled cleaner on OnePocket.org forum. I come to the forums to have fun, but when they're not fun anymore, I leave.

Good luck to Artie and Ricky Byrd. They're both cool in my book, as are you, gbru. Best of rolls to all of you! :)

You are so right Jam...When you are not there, there is also the problem of changes made before the game that we may not know about. I "heard" they were playing even but there is always a possibility that could change.

And, as always, thanks for being "Jam".... You are an asset to the pool world and especially to the pool site discussion threads.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
I will take Artie FOR hundred.

I'll get back with you in a few days Chief. I heard they were not going to play until this coming Monday. Let me inquire about a few other things to be sure of the particulars of the match. If it is even-up I will bet even more if you would like.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
I know Artie can play for 16 hours lol. Been there and done that. He never sat down once.

Good luck to Artie if they do play.

Hahaha...! That's funny John. He definitely has some reserve stamina. Do you know how old Artie is. Someone at the pool hall said 72. I thought he was about 68 or 69.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Hahaha...! That's funny John. He definitely has some reserve stamina. Do you know how old Artie is. Someone at the pool hall said 72. I thought he was about 68 or 69.

I believe he is in his early 70's. Chicago guys would know.