What do you consider 'a bad rack'?

jeremypcarroll

From
Huntsville, AL
I just got done reading the other recent racking thread and I am feeling inspired, so here goes:

I am very honestly a novice one pocket player. I 'check' the rack every time I break, but I guess I only do it as to show my opponent I care. If you asked me what I am looking for, I'm not sure I would have very much of an explanation. I guess I would say I am making sure it 'doesn't look like crap'? But I'm not even sure what 'looks like crap' looks like....

So what kind of a rack does your opponent have to give you to make you say 'come here a second...'? What kind of a rack do you hate to see but you let slide because maybe it's technically legal?

Thanks!

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
What do you consider 'a bad rack'?

For me , it's 3 things: (in order of importance to me)

1.loose corner balls. Especially the ball closest to my opponents hole. (if that ball is loose it has more of a tendency for me to sell out the break).

2. A tilted rack. (Esp if opponent is breaking and the head ball is tilted towards my side, then he has less chance of a scratch. Or if I am breaking and they tilt it towards my side, then I am more likely to scratch on the break.

3. loose head ball.

That's what I look for. Hope it helps.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
For me , it's 3 things: (in order of importance to me)

1.loose corner balls. Especially the ball closest to my opponents hole. (if that ball is loose it has more of a tendency for me to sell out the break).

2. A tilted rack. (Esp if opponent is breaking and the head ball is tilted towards my side, then he has less chance of a scratch. Or if I am breaking and they tilt it towards my side, then I am more likely to scratch on the break.

3. loose head ball.

That's what I look for. Hope it helps.

I agree with your lost, plus ascertain that the head ball is on the spot.

3andstop

I think that in 1pkt more than any other game, racking your own is a must rule to play by. It doesn't take much either in the racking, or the exact location of the breakers hit on the balls, or english on the hit, or the dirt on the balls to make for an unacceptable result in the break. It's human nature to automatically think it was a bad rack. This .. if for no other reason everyone should request rack your own.