Old Age and Trickery Prevails at Boch's One Pocket Challenge

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I want to thank everyone who helped put this together. My old friend James Boch and his wife Stefanie, and Daniel and Geraldine from povpool. I had not been down to Southern California in a while so I took a couple extra days to see some friends and family.

It is always fun to see Daniel and Geraldine from POV because that means there is some pool going on. If I am not playing I get to commentate and had a ball this time with One Pocket Rich Grenier, Magdi and Phil Misson, who also played in the tournament. If you see all the equipment and set up they go through to bring us the stream, you realize the time and dedication involved.

The other players beside myself and Phil were Wayne Pullen, who beat me at the Seniors Tournament in Houston last October, and my old friend Frank "The Barber" Almanza. We have known each other over fifty years but never played one pocket against each other.

They seeded the players for the match and put the old guys, Frank and I, last. This makes sense since Wayne and Phil are the top players in Santa Monica now that One Pocket Rich doesn't play, but a race to three on strange equipment can result in upsets. I know Frank has beat Wayne a time or two and most of us have beaten better players and lost to inferior ones in short races. I could go to Santa Monica and get a little weight from Wayne or Phil and bet what I want. But I felt I had a slight advantage on this 5 x 10.

On the drive down on Weds I stopped at Blue Fin Billiards in Fresno. They have a 5 x 10 tight snooker table and the rails are set for pool balls. I practiced on that table for a couple hours and spent the night there before resuming the trip. On Thursday I went to Hard Times In Bellflower and played some golf on the 6 x 12. I think both of these stops helped give me a little better perspective to play on bigger pool table.

So here we are on a beautiful 1922 five by ten table that none of us have ever played on. The table was at Cochran's, the famous room in San Francisco, for years before James got it and had it reconditioned. Frank has a beautiful old Brunswick in his home and I suspect it plays closer to this table than the equipment the rest of us are used to. Maybe Frank can comment on this, but I think he adapted to the 5 x 10 earlier than the rest of us. He certainly banked better than we did.

The first match was Frank against Phil. Phil is a very aggressive player and that style did not work on this table. Phil and Wayne like to spin the cue ball and on this table it caused them to miss many shots they would usually make. The extra distance gives you a little trouble with the angles. After watching Frank take down Phil with fairly conservative pay and very good banking, I could see the favorites might be in trouble.

Now it is my turn against Wayne. The table really had him out of sorts. I lost the cue ball and scratched a few times in the set before I decided to go with center cue ball on everything unless it was close to the hole. He missed almost every spot shot spinning the cue ball. I still had a couple brain farts and let him back in it, but I have been doing that all my pool playing life. That is why I got a job in 1960.:D The good news is I can usually recover and get back into the game.

On Saturday Frank and I played for the hot seat in a very competitive match that I won. Now Frank had to play Wayne, who had knocked out Phil on Friday. For a while it looked like Wayne was getting more comfortable and playing better, but he faltered a little and Frank pulled it out.

Now it is the finals and we agreed to two races to two in a double elimination format. Frank beat me the first set when I thought I had him put away and thanks to me forgetting the ball count one game and some terrific safety play and making tough banks by Frank, he won the first set and we went to the final race to two. We were both dead tired and mentally exhausted but I held it together long enough to get the win.

It is always great to win, but it would have been a good trip no matter what. Mutual friends came by to say hi and watch us play, and I got together with my two sons and grandson on Sunday before the long drive home.

This was a blast and I hope this format catches on and we can have more of them. Wayne was talking about putting together an eight player tournament in Santa Monica.

Last edited:

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
i enjoyed watching the matches and i can see how the different equipment presented unique issues...... watched you against frank--you two dont shoot too bad..... maybe we'll get to play one of these days.....

Renegade_56

Verified Member
I'll second that, it was a quite enjoyable and easy going event to watch. We were playing 1p at my place on my 10 footer while watching. Pretty good time all around.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
john congrats and to frank
you guys are my inspiration.....:)
i am 63 and playing seriously for about 5 years
i hope when i hit my 70's i can play close to you guys,,,,:D

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Well I for one, am very glad we did this event although I was somewhat nervous; featuring a 10 foot table, a very small field, home internet connection and remote viewing from a different room in the house, new commentators... many new elements for me that I was unaccustomed to.

That said, I am grateful to the Boch's for going above and beyond the call of duty to make this event happen and also to the players for being the best of sports and for playing their hearts out. I know that Wayne discussed the possibility of another 'invite' only tournament of sorts with a slightly bigger field so, stay tuned for news on that.

I have uploaded the first day's matches which, can be viewed here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfToIMJBTemKiFknx7J_UMtqj4ta7cp0f

Also: Thank You, to Magdi, One Pocket Rich, Mark Whitehead, John Henderson, Fach Garcia, Frank Almanza and Phil Misson for your time in the booth. I enjoyed every bit of the jokes, the play by play and your wisdoms of the game.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
John,

You continue to be the MAN! Great playing, but you really should learn to count to 8! :eek:

You moved really well and as you said, kept it together to the finish line. Congratulations, it was a blast watching all of you play.

And I must say I enjoyed Doctor G's and Phil commentary, they were hilarious. But I lost count of who owed who what at the end.

And always, Thanks to Daniel and Geraldine for streaming.

Dave

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Big thanks!!!

Big thanks!!!

Kudos to all four player, the hosts, and of course povpool for bringing us this great mini-tournament!!!

Congratulations John for winning, but I also have to give some props to Frank for knocking off a good player or two to reach the finals. John, I still don't know how you play so well, and I don'tr even have to include "for your age" lol. But you guys are both an inspiration to me and I am sure a bunch of others who are sneaking up into their senior years.

I think for both of you part of it has to be attitude. You guys both seem to really enjoy where you are at in life, and in pool!! I'm in no rush to catch up to your age, but if and when I do I will consider myself very, very fortunate if can approach your attitude, even if my pool game heads a whole lot further south than it has for both of you!!!

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Well I for one, am very glad we did this event although I was somewhat nervous; featuring a 10 foot table, a very small field, home internet connection and remote viewing from a different room in the house, new commentators... many new elements for me that I was unaccustomed to.

I have uploaded the first day's matches which, can be viewed here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfToIMJBTemKiFknx7J_UMtqj4ta7cp0f

Thanks for the Upload...much appreciated. You did a fantastic job. It's people like you keep pool and 1P alive.