if diamond tables dont play "true"

jalapus logan

Verified Member
Just a thought. Diamonds are substantially cheaper.

And better. Case closed.

Edit:. Oh yeah, because Diamond supports pool, and Brunswick no longer gives a damn about the game that we all love. Yeah, that's about it.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
And better. Case closed.

Edit:. Oh yeah, because Diamond supports pool, and Brunswick no longer gives a damn about the game that we all love. Yeah, that's about it.

Brunswick customer service is pretty poor. Also Diamonds are just about pre-assembled... set up is quick...so is take down. I love my GoldCrown but the Diamond is a brick house. A tank. A bull dozer.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I 'm not sure who said they don't play true but I used to say it when I first started playing on them.
I , like everyone else was used to Brunswick Gold Crowns and loved the accuracy of kicking on them.
When I started playing on the Diamonds , it seemed everything came up short.
After quite a long while{I'm not very bright" I came to the conclusion that Diamond tables are a lot more sensitive to speed than the Brunswicks.
At least that's my theory.
Once I learned to hit the balls the correct speed , the Diamond tables actually seem to play better, on a lot of shots, for instance 2 rail banks , and banking with extreme throw on the object ball.
That's my experience with them, yours may be totally different.

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
The early Diamonds did play a little weird. They redesigned the rails, and made an improvement.
A 1200 pound 1-piece slate 9 footer is pretty solid....

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
why arent all tournaments played on gold crowns??

The short answer is, Diamond is supporting pool and is actively improving their products. Their early tables played poorly and completely different from Brunswick. On the other hand I can't remember the last time Brunswick supported billiards, maybe 25 years ago.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
And better. Case closed.

The short answer is, Diamond is supporting pool and is actively improving their products. Their early tables played poorly and completely different from Brunswick. On the other hand I can't remember the last time Brunswick supported billiards, maybe 25 years ago.

i get it
diamond biiliards support pool and everyone is getting used to playing on them and learning their "quirks"
just i hear so often that they dont play "true"
no diamonds near me

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I 'm not sure who said they don't play true but I used to say it when I first started playing on them.
I , like everyone else was used to Brunswick Gold Crowns and loved the accuracy of kicking on them.
When I started playing on the Diamonds , it seemed everything came up short.
After quite a long while{I'm not very bright" I came to the conclusion that Diamond tables are a lot more sensitive to speed than the Brunswicks.
At least that's my theory.
Once I learned to hit the balls the correct speed , the Diamond tables actually seem to play better, on a lot of shots, for instance 2 rail banks , and banking with extreme throw on the object ball.
That's my experience with them, yours may be totally different.

Yes, I agree. As I understand it, they were designed to do that. Greg Sullivan's favorite game is Banks and you can bet he would want his Diamonds to have good bank features. The ability to adjust banks with speed is one of those key features.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Brunswick customer service is pretty poor. Also Diamonds are just about pre-assembled... set up is quick...so is take down. I love my GoldCrown but the Diamond is a brick house. A tank. A bull dozer.

The club that I play at bought two GC 5's a couple years ago at the recommendation of the guy that covers the tables, and many of us are VERY unhappy with the way they play. Even now you hear guys there say that they don't play as well as the old GC's that they replaced.

The metal castings in the corners stick up enough to gouge your cue.
The bolts that attach the rails sometimes fall out and appear on the floor
It appears that the individual pieces of slate may not be perfectly flat, because the table has small rolls up from the bottom rail, but only near the rail.
The table mechanic for some reason pushed an "upgrade" to Klematch/Kleber rubber that I believe is intended for three cushion tables, and they don't shorten well at all -- wtf is with that??

I wish they had gone with Diamond professionals -- that's what I recommended but they obviously did not listen to me lol.

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Where I play in the winter I have a choice between Gandy's and Olhausen's.
In the summer it's my own Anniversary or the local rooms red label Diamonds.
I definately prefer the Annivesary and the Diamonds over the Gandys and Olhausens. The Olhausens are the worst of the lot, bad pocket angles and pockets. If I were to replace my home table I would go Diamond.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
The club that I play at bought two GC 5's a couple years ago at the recommendation of the guy that covers the tables, and many of us are VERY unhappy with the way they play. Even now you hear guys there say that they don't play as well as the old GC's that they replaced.

The metal castings in the corners stick up enough to gouge your cue.
The bolts that attach the rails sometimes fall out and appear on the floor
It appears that the individual pieces of slate may not be perfectly flat, because the table has small rolls up from the bottom rail, but only near the rail.
The table mechanic for some reason pushed an "upgrade" to Klematch/Kleber rubber that I believe is intended for three cushion tables, and they don't shorten well at all -- wtf is with that??

I wish they had gone with Diamond professionals -- that's what I recommended but they obviously did not listen to me lol.

Almost sounds like a Table Mechanic issue. I ran repair shops for 17 years, not ALL mechanics are worth a shit in ANY trade.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
not ALL mechanics are worth a shit in ANY trade.

That is for sure. I cringe when I have anything serviced or replaced(home or car). I won't bore everyone with my original GC4 installation.
But the award goes to the Home Improvement contractor that you want to shove your foot up his hacking rear end.

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Almost sounds like a Table Mechanic issue. I ran repair shops for 17 years, not ALL mechanics are worth a shit in ANY trade.

Yes some of it is fir sure. Also he didn't stand behind when these issues were pointed out. He just tried to fix himself -- and didn't get there. I wonder if he voided warranty because of his modifications, and that's why they weren't simply returned.