Accidental Shots

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
The first shot in this diagram (there are two), is another mistake I made years ago. I don't know what I was trying to do with the cueball but I was using extreme inside(left) and a good bit of speed. I mis-cued and because of that, the speed was mostly removed from the cueball. But the extreme spin was still there.

I was amazed that the cueball could take the path that it did but after trying to do it again and succeeding, I realized that I had stumbled upon a shot that I would probably never need. But I still used to set it up as shown as a challenge to other players to play shapes on the three ball with the blockers in place. Again, it's not easy but it works. Max spin and min. speed. After looking at this first shot as I posted it, I should have moved the blockers further left to stop the use of right english. On the smaller WEI table that I made this diagram on, it looked like I had them in the correct place.

The second shot in this diagram is a practical application of the first shot. I didn't learn this shot until several years later. But when I did learn it, I realized it was almost the same, (except for the speed and draw), as the first shot. The things you can learn by accident. Of course the second shot would probably be used in that other game. But still a nice shot.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3BTVb3CYaD3DRJI3EOnq3FYtc3PELP3aYtc3aatw3kELP3kYlI3kajI4kbpH2kVHw@3GaqJ1HGbh4IPQi2PBPs3baqJ3bbSw2kBPs3kahq4kbnK2kSCk2kact2kWJB4uCMT@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

senor

Verified Member
Here's one

Here's one

I used to have a real sweetheart of a client who would come in every payday and get drunk and play races to three for at least a couple of bills to start out with. He just wanted to drink and feel like he had a chance of winning. Also, he was one of those guys who kind of got off on playing good players, cause the sessions always got a little attention from the rail. Anyways, I always got drunk with him and I always shot at my hole if the shot was half-way free. I remember one time I was free-wheeling on him and feeling pretty good when this shot came up. I just tried to fire in this bank warp speed with a little twist spin. I made the shot, but I sure as hell wasn't trying to make it like I did. The diagram below shows what happened, and like I said, it happened at warp speed.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2AUJC3QULU2UUJC2UTQk3Uadl3lULU2lUAm2lUAm2lUIk2lUIk2laWs@[/CUETABLE]

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
ironic

ironic

senor said:
I used to have a real sweetheart of a client who would come in every payday and get drunk and play races to three for at least a couple of bills to start out with. He just wanted to drink and feel like he had a chance of winning. Also, he was one of those guys who kind of got off on playing good players, cause the sessions always got a little attention from the rail. Anyways, I always got drunk with him and I always shot at my hole if the shot was half-way free. I remember one time I was free-wheeling on him and feeling pretty good when this shot came up. I just tried to fire in this bank warp speed with a little twist spin. I made the shot, but I sure as hell wasn't trying to make it like I did. The diagram below shows what happened, and like I said, it happened at warp speed.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2AUJC3QULU2UUJC2UTQk3Uadl3lULU2lUAm2lUAm2lUIk2lUIk2laWs@[/CUETABLE]

Ironically I was practicing this same shot today as you described how you were trying to make it. I'll try it the way you DID make it tommorow

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
proposition

proposition

Cowboy Dennis said:
The first shot in this diagram (there are two), is another mistake I made years ago. I don't know what I was trying to do with the cueball but I was using extreme inside(left) and a good bit of speed. I mis-cued and because of that, the speed was mostly removed from the cueball. But the extreme spin was still there.

I was amazed that the cueball could take the path that it did but after trying to do it again and succeeding, I realized that I had stumbled upon a shot that I would probably never need. But I still used to set it up as shown as a challenge to other players to play shapes on the three ball with the blockers in place. Again, it's not easy but it works. Max spin and min. speed. After looking at this first shot as I posted it, I should have moved the blockers further left to stop the use of right english. On the smaller WEI table that I made this diagram on, it looked like I had them in the correct place.

The second shot in this diagram is a practical application of the first shot. I didn't learn this shot until several years later. But when I did learn it, I realized it was almost the same, (except for the speed and draw), as the first shot. The things you can learn by accident. Of course the second shot would probably be used in that other game. But still a nice shot.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3BTVb3CYaD3DRJI3EOnq3FYtc3PELP3aYtc3aatw3kELP3kYlI3kajI4kbpH2kVHw@3GaqJ1HGbh4IPQi2PBPs3baqJ3bbSw2kBPs3kahq4kbnK2kSCk2kact2kWJB4uCMT@[/CUETABLE]

Hang a ball up in that lower pocket and practice it till you can make it over 50% of the time and make you a few bucks. I usually ask for 3 shots at it. It's pretty easy if the cloth is fairly new.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
blackeee said:
Hang a ball up in that lower pocket and practice it till you can make it over 50% of the time and make you a few bucks. I usually ask for 3 shots at it. It's pretty easy if the cloth is fairly new.

You can sure come up with some hellacious shots when you use extremes of speed (fast or slow), and extremes of spin (inside or outside) or a combination of them both.

Which shot are you referring to blackeee?

Dennis

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Cowboy Dennis said:
You can sure come up with some hellacious shots when you use extremes of speed (fast or slow), and extremes of spin (inside or outside) or a combination of them both.

Which shot are you referring to blackeee?

Dennis

This one Cowboy.[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AayU2Badf2PCtX2kCtX3kayD4kbNg4kbNg2kYGW4uCtO@[/CUETABLE]

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
blackeee said:
This one Cowboy.[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AayU2Badf2PCtX2kCtX3kayD4kbNg4kbNg2kYGW4uCtO@[/CUETABLE]

blackeee,

Here are a couple of other gaff shots that young guys in poolrooms like to bet against. The first shot I would take 10 shots at minimum. The second shot can usually be made in 5 shots or less once you figure out where to aim.

One little trick is to chalk your tip every shot and set the chalk down on the rail as an aiming point. If you come up short or long, adjust the chalk accordingly and shoot again. Nobody will know that you are aiming at the chalk. Or just divide the space between diamonds into 10 equal spaces and use that as aiming point.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2DWwc4NATW2Paic2Tboa3phvs4iATW4idOs2kaic2kcNL3kByK3kHIi3kUaU2uBvL@2DWwc4NAWi2Paic2TaaU3phwH4iAWi4idfm2kaic2kboG3kCSi1kSoX3uCMO@[/CUETABLE]

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
blackeee said:
Before you learn a thousand trick shots. Learn how to play the game of onepocket first. Knowing how to play will win you tournements. Not trick shoots.And by shooting hard banks and shots this will not help your game off one pocket. But it will hurt your one pocket game. Becuse if you shoot all those shots you will go broke and it will hurt your game. Becuse you are reinforcing bad shoots that you should not shot. Learn to play smart and shoot good percentage shots. And dont waste your time on trick shots. Learn the correct shoots and shots those shots you dont need a bunch off trick shots. And spend your time learnig and improving your game. And forget all those shots that will damage your game. Learn to play with more control that will help your game. I put hundreds of things on her to help your game. And your mentale part of the game. People should but on the sight things for you to learn and help your game. Not a bunch off nonses youre not going to use. Learn to play a solid game. Thats what you have to learn to become a good player.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Rail First????

Rail First????

cowboy i assume you are hitting this shot rail first. the spin doesnt take until the second rail, i use this shot a lot in 3 cushion. if you are not going to the rail first i dont understand how you do it? Sappo

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
sappo said:
cowboy i assume you are hitting this shot rail first. the spin doesnt take until the second rail, i use this shot a lot in 3 cushion. if you are not going to the rail first i dont understand how you do it? Sappo

sappo,

I'm not sure which shot that you are referring to.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i had the same question .dennis your diagrams shot#1 and #2 imply you hit rail first. this makes sense to me as there will be more english on the q coming into the second rail and the q wil be coming across the table instead of the english taking the q off the first rail towards the corner pocket instead of straight across. blacklee on your version of deniss shot are you also coming off the rail first?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
i had the same question .dennis your diagrams shot#1 and #2 imply you hit rail first. this makes sense to me as there will be more english on the q coming into the second rail and the q wil be coming across the table instead of the english taking the q off the first rail towards the corner pocket instead of straight across. blacklee on your version of deniss shot are you also coming off the rail first?

lll,

I'm not coming off the rail first in either shot. In the first shot, I think the angle on the 6 was even thinner than I've shown. In the second shot, the draw pulls the cueball just enough uptable to give it a little angle when it hits the second rail and then the spin takes over. The first shot is difficult. The second shot is not. I've changed the first shot in this diagram to be more accurate to the way I remember it. I guess the main point of these shots is that what is reverse or inside off of the first rail is running english off of the second rail.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3BTVb3CYaD3DRJI3EOnq3FYtc3PEdB3aYtc3aatw3kEdB3kYtK3karL4kbIA2kUiH@3GaqJ1HGbh4IPQi2PBPs3baqJ3bbSw2kBPs3kahq4kbnK2kSCk2kact2kWJB4uCMT@[/CUETABLE]

Dennis

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i understand the inside english is running english off the second rail. its just that i would have expected th q to go more towards the corner pocket off the first rail if you hit the ball first. got to learn the wei so i could diagram it.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
III, I had the same reaction you did. On this routine cut shot, ( second diagram) I would use left english to get shape on a ball on the foot rail, and I would hit the long rail about two diamonds farther down than shown in the diagram. Mind you, not low left english, just left.

Apparently the draw he uses makes the difference. Looks like voodoo to me, but I generally believe what the Cowboy tells me. I will have to check it out, but his hit on the cueball looks a bit extreme for me. Maybe not. :eek:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i also respect dennis and his advice is usually spot on . this weekend ill try out the shots. but like you vapros if i hit ball first then the rail i expect the the left to take the q NOT straight across but more towards the corner. still dennis plays 1p for income and has a pedegree behind him (red) cant pooh pooh what he says but have to beleive. secondly i am not blind i realize my knowledge of the game is way below "the players" but dennis and all of you who respond to my postd i thank you for taking the time to answer my replies and get me going in the right ( correct) direction. not all of the posters do that and i REALLY appreciate all of you who point out my ignorance or lack of expreience/knowledge replies. the good thing about the internet is even if you are exposing yourself nobody sees :)

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
trick shots

trick shots

Artie Bodendorfer said:
Before you learn a thousand trick shots. Learn how to play the game of onepocket first. Knowing how to play will win you tournements. Not trick shoots.And by shooting hard banks and shots this will not help your game off one pocket. But it will hurt your one pocket game. Becuse if you shoot all those shots you will go broke and it will hurt your game. Becuse you are reinforcing bad shoots that you should not shot. Learn to play smart and shoot good percentage shots. And dont waste your time on trick shots. Learn the correct shoots and shots those shots you dont need a bunch off trick shots. And spend your time learnig and improving your game. And forget all those shots that will damage your game. Learn to play with more control that will help your game. I put hundreds of things on her to help your game. And your mentale part of the game. People should but on the sight things for you to learn and help your game. Not a bunch off nonses youre not going to use. Learn to play a solid game. Thats what you have to learn to become a good player.

I don't care much for trick shot myself Artie, but the shot I posted comes up in game situations now and then. I spend ALL my time trying to learn and improve my game.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
blackeee said:
I don't care much for trick shot myself Artie, but the shot I posted comes up in game situations now and then. I spend ALL my time trying to learn and improve my game.
Why would you shot that shot if you are working on your shot. Thier would be no reason to shoot that shot. And its misleading to beginers that are learning. If you make both balls and its still your shot unless you need one ball. Why would you want to shoot the length of the table for a safty on your next shot.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Why would you shot that shot if you are working on your shot. Thier would be no reason to shoot that shot. And its misleading to beginers that are learning. If you make both balls and its still your shot unless you need one ball. Why would you want to shoot the length of the table for a safty on your next shot.
Stick to the baseicks.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
lll said:

Yes,but in my diagram I showed extreme low left but it shouldn't be so extreme. The object ball is frozen to the rail.

Last edited: