King the wonder dog

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Thanks, Jay

Thanks, Jay

jay helfert said:
Freddie, I saw Jerry and King in action day after day back in the 60's at Ye Billiard Den. By the way, Jerry could play pool. He was a decent shortstop, but he kept his game under wraps pretty good.

King could give any other "smart" dog the five and the break! He could run out a rack of nine ball, picking up the balls in order and dropping them in the nearest pocket. Jerry would break the balls and say, "Run out King" and that was it. King could add! I swear to God. Jerry would say, "Give me two balls that add up to 15" and King would do it. Then Jerry would say do it again, and King would pull two more balls out that added up to 15.

Then the topper was when Jerry said to someone pick a number. Maybe they would say ten, and Jerry would have King pull two balls that added up to ten. Don't ask me how he did it. I have no idea other than that King knew the balls just as good as we do. He recognized numbers and knew how to add, at least up to 15. I never saw him go for a higher number or more than two balls. I suspect he could do it with three balls if necessary.

If Jerry had a drink sitting on a table and he was playing pool, he could ask King to get his drink for him. King would gently take the glass (or cup) in his teeth and bring it over to Jerry. Jerry would have King pay the bill and tell him to bring back the right change, telling him how much he had coming back. If the counter person gave King the wrong change he wouldn't move. He would wait until he got the right amount. So King knew about money and pool balls, that's for sure.

Jerry would tell King to open his wallet and take out ten dollars, a five and five ones. King would do it without fail. Like Freddie said, this dog was one of a kind. Nothing King did surprised me after a while. It was like he had a human brain.

Thanks for chipping in, Jay. These King stories definitely need verifiers. That's why I am wondering why SJD and JH havent chimed in yet. They are from California in the 70s, and they are both high on Ronnies bite list. He must have related some King stories to them at some time or another. The photo of Ronnie with King in E Robins book is a classic.

Beard
Here's a little treat for the boys, out of E Robins Winning One Pocket p 247 is a photo of the wonder dog and Ronnie.

Attachments

• kingwonderdog (433 x 423).jpg
    kingwonderdog (433 x 423).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2

jay helfert

Verified Member
vapros said:
You guys don't know when to stop, do you? I'm afraid Jay's story has killed every whale in Iowa. :D :eek: :p

There is a reason why we called King "The Wonder Dog". Jerry used to come in with King carrying his cue case in his mouth. King would lay the case under the table (without Jerry asking him to do it) and when Jerry was ready to play King would get it for him. Jerry would just say, "King I need my cue."

Jerry could throw a bunch of change on the table and tell King to bring him .75 cents. No problem! He would let someone else pick an amount (say .47 cents) and King would retrieve that too. And Jerry could trap you with King if you were not careful. He could say something and King would deliberately do the wrong thing, like grab the wrong ball or grab the wrong change. But if you bet him on it, King never "dogged" it! :cool:

One of the funniest ones I saw was when he was betting on King picking balls off the table, and some wise guy asked King to bring him the nine ball. It wasn't on the table. King went to the pocket and pulled out the nine ball! The whole place cracked up laughing.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Thanks for chipping in, Jay. These King stories definitely need verifiers. That's why I am wondering why SJD and JH havent chimed in yet. They are from California in the 70s, and they are both high on Ronnies bite list. He must have related some King stories to them at some time or another. The photo of Ronnie with King in E Robins book is a classic.

Beard
Here's a little treat for the boys, out of E Robins Winning One Pocket p 247 is a photo of the wonder dog and Ronnie.

The credit on the photo says Charles Jones. Isn't that Preacher Red?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Low down dirty Red

Low down dirty Red

jay helfert said:
The credit on the photo says Charles Jones. Isn't that Preacher Red?

Yes Jay, that is Preacher Red, AKA Low Down Dirty Red. You one upped me on the hidden ball gaff that Kind performed. Brooklyn Jimmy told me about that move, where the sucker would put the ball in the net pocket, or in the ball rack, and King would find it anyway. And yes, King was famous for "stalling for a bet." He could "lemon" like he was a dumb mutt, and do the wrong thing, but put the $ up and he became a thoroughbred.
Do you happen to know what happened to Jerry and King? I would bet big that when either one of them died, the other didnt last another week.

Beard
Fellas, honest Injun, there aint no Santa Claus, but there was a King the Wonder Dog.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Jay, you should have kept that nine ball as proof, just in case any skeptics might have doubted your story. On the other hand, many a good story has been ruined by over-verification. :rolleyes:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
fred bentivegna said:

Beard

You couldn't go to any of the action joints around LA or Orange County in those days without running into them. I remember seeing King sitting in a chair beside him wearing a Hat and sunglasses.

I tried to keep my eye on the "Smart Guys" in those days and when they wouldn't bite on some bets/tricks that King would do, I wouldn't bite either.

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
Like father, like son....still putting the bite on

Like father, like son....still putting the bite on

fred bentivegna said:
Do you happen to know what happened to Jerry and King? I would bet big that when either one of them died, the other didnt last another week.
Beard
Fellas, honest Injun, there aint no Santa Claus, but there was a King the Wonder Dog.

Freddy,
I don't know what became of King, but I do know that, like Seabiscuit, Man O'War and Secretariat before him, he did sire noteworthy offspring. In fact, for your viewing pleasure, here is some recent footage of one of King's pups once he had grown a little and learned some tricks of his own....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftHH7gTALLE[/ame]

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Thank you

Thank you

jrhendy said:
You couldn't go to any of the action joints around LA or Orange County in those days without running into them. I remember seeing King sitting in a chair beside him wearing a Hat and sunglasses.

I tried to keep my eye on the "Smart Guys" in those days and when they wouldn't bite on some bets/tricks that King would do, I wouldn't bite either.

You got it JH. The hat and sunglasses were standard wear. Sometimes he would sport an unlit HavaTampa cigar (the one with the plastic holder). I heard the Associated Press (AP) will have 11 fact checkers working on this story just as soon as they finish with Sarah Palin's book.

Beard

Late Edit: My mistake, it wasnt AP that hired somebody to fact check, it was AZ, and they put their ace investigator, Lou Figueroa, on the job. He's worth 11 fact checkers all by himself.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
You got it JH. The hat and sunglasses were standard wear. Sometimes he would sport an unlit HavaTampa cigar (the one with the plastic holder). I heard the Associated Press will have 11 fact checkers working on this story just as soon as they finish with Sarah Palin's book.

Beard

Where O' where is SJD on this thread?

Beardman,

Don't remember ever seeing King in action. I sure heard of him though, over the years.
Apparently Jerry never made it up to the bay area during my tenure. I rarely went to LA in that time frame.

When I was going to LA a lot, all the big action was at the Wonder Bowl, Hollywood & Western, or Downtown.
Not sure if the Tropicana Bowl even existed (Richie and RA's home court) at that time.
It was somewhat before Jay H. or RA's arrival in SoCal. (mid to late 50's) Richie F. was still in grade school... so King may have been a pup in training in those years.

Sure would like to have seen some of his antics. Enjoy hearing about them.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Beardman,

Don't remember ever seeing King in action. I sure heard of him though, over the years.
Apparently Jerry never made it up to the bay area during my tenure. I rarely went to LA in that time frame.

When I was going to LA a lot, all the big action was at the Wonder Bowl, Hollywood & Western, or Downtown.
Not sure if the Tropicana Bowl even existed (Richie and RA's home court) at that time.
It was somewhat before Jay H. or RA's arrival in SoCal. (mid to late 50's) Richie F. was still in grade school... so King may have been a pup in training in those years.

Sure would like to have seen some of his antics. Enjoy hearing about them.

I didn't get to L.A. until 1967, just in time for the big bash at Charlie Milliken's place (the Cue and Cushion) in Norwalk. Ronnie was giving Grady 9-6 at One Hole and there was a ring game with the Jockey, Lou Butera, Richie and Don Watson for 20 a man. Don Watson also beat a couple of good players in the back room playing 9-Ball. I wish I could remember who.

Richie was the best 9-Ball player in L.A. and Ronnie was the One Pocket king. Richie beat just about everyone who came to town including Denny Searcy, Jimmy Reid, Cole Dickson and Jimmy Moore. I watched Ronnie play The Iceman 9-7 and Black Nate 8-7 at Tournament Billiards and win the money. He was the only one who I ever saw spot these two guys. Freddie tried playing Banks with them but came in second.

Ronnie beat Jimmy Marino 9-7, 8-7 (I think) at Marina Billiards and he played Frisco Jack down there also (I think this game was 9-8, 8-7). Ronnie won all these games. He gave Flyboy 9-6 and Cole 9-7 at North Hollywood, both winners too. Ronnie was spotting everyone back then. Only Kelly played him 9-8 on Ronnie's break and even on his. That was his closest game.

But Marvin did beat Ronnie once playing even at Ye Billiard Den. Marvin had the home court advantage. Ronnie wanted him to come out to N. Hollywood but Marvin passed. He took his 3k (they played for 6K - big money back then)) and went out and partied for a month. I know because I was with him some nights. :)

Deeman

Verified Member
Jay,

Is Cole Dickson still around? If so, does he still play? I know everyone has their day but the only couple of times I saw him play, I didn't think anyone would ever beat him. I know he had a drinking issue but didn't know if it eventually got him.

DeeMan

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I must object

I must object

jay helfert said:
I didn't get to L.A. until 1967, just in time for the big bash at Charlie Milliken's place (the Cue and Cushion) in Norwalk. Ronnie was giving Grady 9-6 at One Hole and there was a ring game with the Jockey, Lou Butera, Richie and Don Watson for 20 a man. Don Watson also beat a couple of good players in the back room playing 9-Ball. I wish I could remember who.

Richie was the best 9-Ball player in L.A. and Ronnie was the One Pocket king. Richie beat just about everyone who came to town including Denny Searcy, Jimmy Reid, Cole Dickson and Jimmy Moore. I watched Ronnie play The Iceman 9-7 and Black Nate 8-7 at Tournament Billiards and win the money. He was the only one who I ever saw spot these two guys. Freddie tried playing Banks with them but came in second.

Ronnie beat Jimmy Marino 9-7, 8-7 (I think) at Marina Billiards and he played Frisco Jack down there also (I think this game was 9-8, 8-7). Ronnie won all these games. He gave Flyboy 9-6 and Cole 9-7 at North Hollywood, both winners too. Ronnie was spotting everyone back then. Only Kelly played him 9-8 on Ronnie's break and even on his. That was his closest game.

But Marvin did beat Ronnie once playing even at Ye Billiard Den. Marvin had the home court advantage. Ronnie wanted him to come out to N. Hollywood but Marvin passed. He took his 3k (they played for 6K - big money back then)) and went out and partied for a month. I know because I was with him some nights. :)

Not true about Iceman and Nate beating me playing bank pool. The first guy I played in California was Nate at the all night poolroom in Culver City. Was Tournament Billiards the name of the joint? We played banks for $50 a game and he quit. I was with Sugar Shack Johnny and Ronnie Sypher, we had just arrived from Vegas. I also handled Iceman playing banks. My troubles with those two, especially Nate, was in the one pocket department. I played Ice a lot and we seesawed, but I had to give up on Nate.

Beard

jay helfert

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Not true about Iceman and Nate beating me playing bank pool. The first guy I played in California was Nate at the all night poolroom in Culver City. Was Tournament Billiards the name of the joint? We played banks for $50 a game and he quit. I was with Sugar Shack Johnny and Ronnie Sypher, we had just arrived from Vegas. I also handled Iceman playing banks. My troubles with those two, especially Nate, was in the one pocket department. I played Ice a lot and we seesawed, but I had to give up on Nate.

Beard

Sorry! You're right, it was One Pocket they beat you at. I'm getting senile in my old age.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
SJD Peanut Gallery

SJD Peanut Gallery

jay helfert said:
Sorry! You're right, it was One Pocket they beat you at. I'm getting senile in my old age.

What, no comment about me having to always be "right" from the SJD Peanut Gallery? See, I am always right.

Beard

I am being extra careful in my posts now, because Lou is stalking me and them like the guy who peeked through the wall at the ESPN girl.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Fact Checkers

Fact Checkers

fred bentivegna said:
You got it JH. The hat and sunglasses were standard wear. Sometimes he would sport an unlit HavaTampa cigar (the one with the plastic holder). I heard the Associated Press (AP) will have 11 fact checkers working on this story just as soon as they finish with Sarah Palin's book.

Beard

QUOTE]

Late Edit: My mistake, it wasnt AP that hired somebody to fact check, it was AZ, and they put their ace investigator, Lou Figueroa, on the job. He's worth 11 fact checkers all by himself.

Beard