Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-20-2014, 06:17 PM
onepocket926's Avatar
onepocket926 onepocket926 is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Anderson, CA
Posts: 744
Send a message via Yahoo to onepocket926
Default ...preGame jitters.....

......I have had a simple warm-up drill....."since I can't remember when".....I taught it to my Son...when He was learning 9 ball......and as a warm-up drill for OnePocket......

....I'll describe my routine...but, I would appreciate anyone else's input or their own personal regiment....

....it's as simple as...1...2...3........I just throw (gently of course ) 3 random balls on the table.....

.......if I'm warming-up for 9 ball.....I shot them in rotation......(imo)....9 ball is just a three shot game....run 3 balls and get position for the next 3 ball run...and so on 'till You're out......

.......for 8 ball......designate one of the balls as the 8....and run them down......(the balls are round and the shooting scenario should be different each time)......

......in OnePocket......I always consider my Opponent...needing one...and it's sitting in the out-hole......the 3 balls need to be ahead of the foul-line....to simulate.......the need to run all 3 balls before You can take Him out....(You might just be surprised how often this or a similar scenario occurs).........

....I try to find an out-of-way table and run these drills for quite sometime before a Tournament or match-up.........

....please let Me know if Yours differs...and why....

...thanks,
__________________
"...I'll take 9 to 6....ok then...I'll give you 9 to 6..."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-20-2014, 08:29 PM
lfigueroa lfigueroa is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepocket926 View Post
......I have had a simple warm-up drill....."since I can't remember when".....I taught it to my Son...when He was learning 9 ball......and as a warm-up drill for OnePocket......

....I'll describe my routine...but, I would appreciate anyone else's input or their own personal regiment....

....it's as simple as...1...2...3........I just throw (gently of course ) 3 random balls on the table.....

.......if I'm warming-up for 9 ball.....I shot them in rotation......(imo)....9 ball is just a three shot game....run 3 balls and get position for the next 3 ball run...and so on 'till You're out......

.......for 8 ball......designate one of the balls as the 8....and run them down......(the balls are round and the shooting scenario should be different each time)......

......in OnePocket......I always consider my Opponent...needing one...and it's sitting in the out-hole......the 3 balls need to be ahead of the foul-line....to simulate.......the need to run all 3 balls before You can take Him out....(You might just be surprised how often this or a similar scenario occurs).........

....I try to find an out-of-way table and run these drills for quite sometime before a Tournament or match-up.........

....please let Me know if Yours differs...and why....

...thanks,

I like to make sure to deploy my PSR very slowly for a few shots to make sure I have it in sync by just shooting a few hangers.

Then I'll shoot a few banks to see if the table is playing long or short. I'll also shoot a couple of test shots to see how much twist is taking off the rails on bank shots. Then I'll shoot a few 1, 2, and 3 rail kicks from pet positions to see what adjustments I need to make. I also like to roll balls up and down and across to see if there are any major roll offs. If there's time I'll hit a few break shots to see how the balls are coming apart. Lastly, if we're lagging for the break, I'll shoot a couple of those until I feel I have the speed down. That's about it. Then I'm good to go.

Lou Figueroa
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 PM
TomRoden TomRoden is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 180
Default i'm gonna

I'm gonna steal those suggestions and claim them as my own. I try to get there early and play for an hour or so.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-20-2014, 08:57 PM
onepocket926's Avatar
onepocket926 onepocket926 is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Anderson, CA
Posts: 744
Send a message via Yahoo to onepocket926
Default

...thanks guys......those are all solid practices.....

.....I do in fact search for some of the same answeres...as to the table play....when I do my 3 ball runs...I may bank instead of just pocketing a ball....

.....4 rails are my favs....3 rails I have down pat....

.....but, I've been working on my 2 rail....it seems like forever.....maybe I'll take a couple of hours someday and...shot nothing but the 2 rail....
__________________
"...I'll take 9 to 6....ok then...I'll give you 9 to 6..."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-21-2014, 10:09 AM
straightback straightback is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: owensboro, ky
Posts: 1,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
I like to make sure to deploy my PSR very slowly for a few shots to make sure I have it in sync by just shooting a few hangers.

Then I'll shoot a few banks to see if the table is playing long or short. I'll also shoot a couple of test shots to see how much twist is taking off the rails on bank shots. Then I'll shoot a few 1, 2, and 3 rail kicks from pet positions to see what adjustments I need to make. I also like to roll balls up and down and across to see if there are any major roll offs. If there's time I'll hit a few break shots to see how the balls are coming apart. Lastly, if we're lagging for the break, I'll shoot a couple of those until I feel I have the speed down. That's about it. Then I'm good to go.

Lou Figueroa
Textbook observations for playing on a new table.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-21-2014, 06:49 PM
gulfportdoc's Avatar
gulfportdoc gulfportdoc is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gulfport, Mississippi
Posts: 9,181
Default

For those who have grooved their alignment and stroke to where it's never a concern, the suggestions above are all a guy would need to check the conditions.

In my particular case, I must check my alignment every time I get down to play a session. I've tinkered with my stance and alignment so much that I'm never positive that it's ready to go if I haven't played in awhile.

Therefore I set the CB and an OB on the head string and foot string lined up for opposite corners, and shoot the ball with firm speed. It's obvious right away if I'm out of alignment.

When I can make 10 or so of those with little variation, I then line them up for the corners on the same side for fine tuning. By then my arm is usually loosened up-- ready to run a few, bank a few, and make table checks. But I'll tell ya, lads. It takes me an hour anymore to get warmed up...

Of course when I was younger, I just walked in, picked up a pole, and was ready to go. What tickles me is a guy like Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter, who, even in his 80's warms up by taking two shots at hard speed. That's it. That's all it takes him to get in the groove!

~Doc
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-21-2014, 07:11 PM
onepocket926's Avatar
onepocket926 onepocket926 is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Anderson, CA
Posts: 744
Send a message via Yahoo to onepocket926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
For those who have grooved their alignment and stroke to where it's never a concern, the suggestions above are all a guy would need to check the conditions.

In my particular case, I must check my alignment every time I get down to play a session. I've tinkered with my stance and alignment so much that I'm never positive that it's ready to go if I haven't played in awhile.

Therefore I set the CB and an OB on the head string and foot string lined up for opposite corners, and shoot the ball with firm speed. It's obvious right away if I'm out of alignment.

When I can make 10 or so of those with little variation, I then line them up for the corners on the same side for fine tuning. By then my arm is usually loosened up-- ready to run a few, bank a few, and make table checks. But I'll tell ya, lads. It takes me an hour anymore to get warmed up...

Of course when I was younger, I just walked in, picked up a pole, and was ready to go. What tickles me is a guy like Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter, who, even in his 80's warms up by taking two shots at hard speed. That's it. That's all it takes him to get in the groove!

~Doc
...I can see that.....warm-up would have to seem like child's play......if I make it to 80 years old......warm-up will be the last thing on my mind too....let Me get straight to the game...."times a waistin".....lol....
__________________
"...I'll take 9 to 6....ok then...I'll give you 9 to 6..."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All original content Copyright Onepocket.org and/or the original author. All rights reserved.