Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2014, 09:28 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post
I think the 4-rail off the 1 sits very nice because the new cloth will lengthen OB off the 3rd rail. My second choice would be to just kick 4 rails behind the 10. For me, the quality of my shot on one of these will be superior to my typical shot drawing off the 1.
Can you reproduce the diagram and show everyone where the CB will contact the 1st cushion and then where the CB will contact the 4th?
Old 08-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cushion View Post

If NEW pool cloth is anything close to NEW 3C cloth, the CB will come off the 3rd rail WAY TOO long, running into the balls in the stack maybe!
It looks to me that a relatively thin hit on the 1 is just right, but I'm not going to question you on 3 and 4 rails.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cushion View Post
Can you reproduce the diagram and show everyone where the CB will contact the 1st cushion and then where the CB will contact the 4th?
Heh. I've never attempted a diagram, and as I just said in my previous post, if you think this shot is wrong here, I have to accept your judgment.

I hope I'd see that at the table.

Last edited by LSJohn; 08-23-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
I might shoot into the 11/15, billiard the cue ball off the 5 ball and behind the 10 ball if it is still there.

Bill S.
Good idea
Old 08-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Verified Member

Excellent find, and well executed, Steve. I hadn't seen your choice before I'd pretty much made up my mind on the 10-ball kick. If I'd shot the 10, it would've been with enough right spin to kick the 10 over toward the 8 ball, or to carom off the high side of the nine. Alternatively I'd hit is slower, hoping to hide the CB behind the 9.

I'd like to see the CB roll up past the 15 into the stack, but the draw back is that it might not, which would make it a weaker shot.

But your shot is the cat's meow here.

~Doc
Old 08-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post

Anyway, what I resorted to, was some pin-ball action on the cue ball between the 11 and 5 to swing the cue ball down into the corner behind the 10/9.
Nice shot Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightback View Post
Kinda surprised you'd go for that shot, Ghost. Yeah, it's there, but there's lot of risk if you miss. It looks like right English is needed, and the speed you suggest slightly diminishes the percentage make you propose, no? Also, remember we got a brand new (read: slidey) table here, which also diminishes the accuracy.

The 8 is already a threat, why not start a trap and look to get a bank and get something started?

Dan.....We can never tell for sure in the diagrams. If, as it looks to you, right english is needed, I might not shoot it since that diminishes accuracy....but to me it looks like the window is big enough to kick through with no english - that makes it a simple kick to me, with a good turn-the-game-around reward, so I would shoot it (as long as it was a table that I was familiar with re. rails and cloth)....but also Dan, I'd shoot it in this spot because I don't have a solid safety that's a sure thing to execute.

- Ghost

Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 08-23-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Verified Member

Well-reasoned response - all the routes to safety are a bit tricky, I agree.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to onepocket926

Quote:
My first thought was the four rail kick into that corner behind the 9/10 ball, but with the absolutely brand new cloth put on earlier the same day, I did not think I could judge the kick very well. Also, as I mentioned -- but may not be as well shown in the diagram as it should have, the top ball seemed like it was up where it would interfere with the cue ball coming by the top of the stack.

Anyway, what I resorted to, and I'm glad I did because it definitely turned the game around, was some pin-ball action on the cue ball between the 11 and 5 to swing the cue ball down into the corner behind the 10/9. The combo bank 11/15 was something I had looked at right away -- to see if I could bank and stick on top of the stack, but since I could not hit the center of the 11-ball, I could not stick the rock. That lead me to the idea of the secondary carom off the 5-ball. It ended up working like a charm -- I actually made the 8 and came up right on the 9-ball. It might have worked even better had the 8 not dropped because I did not have another direct shot. I think I just had to knock the 10 away next -- but I was able to draw back into the trap

This is what I love about One Pocket -- it is the occasional move like this that keeps me in the game. It's sure not my ball-running, which is why one road player said, "He moves good, but weak to the pocket" yep, that's me lol
...that's the exact shot I was looking at...it took 25 posts to see someone shoot it.......

...I like your style.....
Old 08-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
I'll make kickers out of all of you guys yet - (and get you to see the kicks that are available)...y'all slept another one...

There's a perfect window here, and I'll be softly kicking the 8 into my hole - the 8, being close to my hole and a little off the rail is laying perfect, giving this kick a 80%-90% make percentage for any halfway decent One Pocket player...then I can turn the game around further, by playing some power One Pocket with the 10 ball on my next shot...

- Pele`
On a new cloth 80%? I think not. New rails, sliding, I'm not taking that one although if the table is a week or two old, then yes 80%. New cloth, Im spinning my cue with a soft masse to nick the ten and lay on the rail protecting the 8.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
My first thought was the four rail kick into that corner behind the 9/10 ball, but with the absolutely brand new cloth put on earlier the same day, I did not think I could judge the kick very well. Also, as I mentioned -- but may not be as well shown in the diagram as it should have, the top ball seemed like it was up where it would interfere with the cue ball coming by the top of the stack.

Anyway, what I resorted to, and I'm glad I did because it definitely turned the game around, was some pin-ball action on the cue ball between the 11 and 5 to swing the cue ball down into the corner behind the 10/9. The combo bank 11/15 was something I had looked at right away -- to see if I could bank and stick on top of the stack, but since I could not hit the center of the 11-ball, I could not stick the rock. That lead me to the idea of the secondary carom off the 5-ball. It ended up working like a charm -- I actually made the 8 and came up right on the 9-ball. It might have worked even better had the 8 not dropped because I did not have another direct shot. I think I just had to knock the 10 away next -- but I was able to draw back into the trap

This is what I love about One Pocket -- it is the occasional move like this that keeps me in the game. It's sure not my ball-running, which is why one road player said, "He moves good, but weak to the pocket" yep, that's me lol
Our match has been cancelled due to lack of my Wavyous after seeing this. I love it.