If you were asked to

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
teach someone how to play one pocket?

Besides the rules, what would you include in a brief explaination?

I was asked last nite this very question and the kid that asked, ended up playing Tony Chohan with a 9-7 and the breaks spot. The kid lost but is going to play in our 1P monthly event this coming Saturday.

After the kid got whooped by Tony, I asked him if he had learned anything. The kid replied, "Yeah, 9-7 and the breaks is not enough to make a game with Tony, I should have ask for 11-6 and the breaks." :rolleyes:

Seriously, what would you share in a short intro to 1P for someone interested in learning the game?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
SactownTom said:
teach someone how to play one pocket?

Besides the rules, what would you include in a brief explaination?

I was asked last nite this very question and the kid that asked, ended up playing Tony Chohan with a 9-7 and the breaks spot. The kid lost but is going to play in our 1P monthly event this coming Saturday.

After the kid got whooped by Tony, I asked him if he had learned anything. The kid replied, "Yeah, 9-7 and the breaks is not enough to make a game with Tony, I should have ask for 11-6 and the breaks." :rolleyes:

Seriously, what would you share in a short intro to 1P for someone interested in learning the game?
Tom, take a look at the One Pocket Primer right here on OnePocket.org (under the 'Playing the Game' drop-down menu --> go to 'Getting Started' and scroll down to 'A One Pocket Primer').
http://onepocket.org/getting_started.htm

I think the whole concept of 'pocket speed' and building and protecting a ball arrangement that favors you -- not your opponent, and learning what shots help that & which ones hurt...

And play somebody!

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Kinda like the song said - Ya got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. In one hole - ya got to know when to shoot 'em and know when to move 'em. :D

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Beware!

Beware!

When picking out a shot, everyone knows not to leave the other guy a good offensive shot. However, it's equally important to anticipate whether you might leave him a good defensive shot. That might be even more painful.

Always picture what the table is going to look like after your shot, and you will see what might happen to you next. Just because you haven't left your man a shot at his pocket doesn't mean you have done well. Put yourself in his position - see how you would like it, and what you could do with it.

redhell

Tom,

I've learned how to play one pocket online and I can't even mesure myself as a player because everybody I played I had to teach them the game. This said, when I explain the rules to someone I always bring a few more elements:

1- This game is the Chess of pool, plan your moves carefully and be very patient.

2- Fouling while pocketing a ball in your opponent pocket will make you lose a point but should never make you lose the game.

3- You should always play your banks like if you were putting at golf, just fast enough to reach the hole but never strong enough to get away from it.

4- By bringing balls close to your hole, you can make your opponent worry about those, while he's busy moving your balls around, he's not setting himself up for a finnish.

Now remember that I'm a green belly button newbie at this game, but this is what I managed to extract from the knowledge that was available online.