John Schmidt at BullShooters

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc, Cranfield is said to have run 768 and 450 and 420 a 10'; Charlie Ursitti said he racked and watched Mosconi run 608 and lay down his cue saying something like: See it's not so tough to run 600; Engert has run 491; Gene Nagy ran 430; Dallas West 429; Ray Martin 426; Allen Hopkins 421; Hohmann 408; Earl 408; Joe Balsis 375; and there are many more.

Lou Figueroa
Yeah, I've read all the stories, Lou. And of any of them, Mosconi's seems the most likely. He not only had the virtuoso talent, but incredible concentration. But pool players and sweators are so full of malarkey that I'd have a very hard time believing any of the exceedingly high run stories, absent bona fide witnessed testimony. I'm sure there have been runs in the high 400s on a 9' table. But more than that? Exceedingly unlikely.

Call me a confirmed skeptic...:)

~Doc

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Arthur 'Babe' Cranfield, was the only person that was the Jr. National Champion, Amateur National Champion, and Professional National Champion.

He ran 420 on a 5x10 - witnessed.

He was the National Pocket Billiard Champion 1938, 1939, & 1940.

He become World Champion 14-1 in 1964 in a challenge match. Schaefer Challenge Match, Palm Gardens, N.Y., won by Arthur Cranfield (1200 to 730 in 82 innings) over Luther Lassiter. He earned the right to challenge Luther Lassiter by placing second to Lassiter in the B.R.P.A.A. World's Invitational earlier in the year.

He was the first left handed champion since Alfredo DeOro.

He was also executive vice president of Muzak Corp.
I believe this to be true; for BCA to recognize a record run, it has to be a BCA sanctioned event, or sanctioned exhibition, plus it has to be on a Brunswick table. Whitey

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
He got a 293 today.. Had to draw back and forth to get his angle on a break shot, and it scratched in the side.....

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Glad you brought this up, Whitey. I lived right across the street from Babe Cranfield for 2 years, and he's one of the reasons why I started playing pool seriously after suffering a martial arts injury that left my right wrist paralyzed for a full year in 1986. I was going to college in Syracuse, NY during the mid 80's, and I met him for the first time in a bowling alley where he was running racks upon racks in a strange game I didn't understand. All I knew was 8-Ball back then. I eventually approached him and asked him questions, and he was such a gentleman to offer me a ride back to campus after a long and stimulating conversation. As luck would have it, his house was literally 100 feet from where I lived, and I was so lucky to have had the opportunity to learn from him and watch him for a couple of years. I have incredible memories and countless stories. He also told me he once ran over 700 balls as one witness left and another one arrived. He paid each $5 to stay until another showed up.

Here's the Leroy Neiman lithograph of the 1964 challenge match against Luther Lassiter. I actually saw the original painting hanging on the wall by the entrance. He autographed one of his posters for me, which unfortunately I'm no longer in possession of. (My supportive mom destroyed it. LOL!!!)

I made this lithograph the front page image of my pool tour's website in his honor and for all the valuable advice he gave me.

https://www.alloutpool.com.

Arthur 'Babe' Cranfield, was the only person that was the Jr. National Champion, Amateur National Champion, and Professional National Champion.

He ran 420 on a 5x10 - witnessed.

He was the National Pocket Billiard Champion 1938, 1939, & 1940.

He become World Champion 14-1 in 1964 in a challenge match. Schaefer Challenge Match, Palm Gardens, N.Y., won by Arthur Cranfield (1200 to 730 in 82 innings) over Luther Lassiter. He earned the right to challenge Luther Lassiter by placing second to Lassiter in the B.R.P.A.A. World's Invitational earlier in the year.

He was the first left handed champion since Alfredo DeOro.

He was also executive vice president of Muzak Corp.
I believe this to be true; for BCA to recognize a record run, it has to be a BCA sanctioned event, or sanctioned exhibition, plus it has to be on a Brunswick table. Whitey

Attachments

• Cranfield-Lassiter.jpg
    Cranfield-Lassiter.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Doc,

I had an original poster confirming Cranfield's two runs of over 400. I wish I still have it. I've seen him run 170 balls after having a triple bypass surgery at age 72. Believe me, no exaggeration.

Peter

Yeah, I've read all the stories, Lou. And of any of them, Mosconi's seems the most likely. He not only had the virtuoso talent, but incredible concentration. But pool players and sweators are so full of malarkey that I'd have a very hard time believing any of the exceedingly high run stories, absent bona fide witnessed testimony. I'm sure there have been runs in the high 400s on a 9' table. But more than that? Exceedingly unlikely.

Call me a confirmed skeptic...:)

~Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc,

I had an original poster confirming Cranfield's two runs of over 400. I wish I still have it. I've seen him run 170 balls after having a triple bypass surgery at age 72. Believe me, no exaggeration.

Peter
Great stories, Peter. And what a wonderful experience for you to have known Cranfield. I saw him at the '68 World Invitational in NYC. I can't recall if he was at the '69 and '70 events in L.A. Keone might remember.

Very striking lithograph from Neiman!

~Doc

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Vapros was wondering in his latest journal post about what John Schmidt is doing.. It's a special project being held at Bull Shooters in Phoenix.. He's making this attempt from March 20 until April 18, putting in about 6 hours each day, usually going Sunday thru Thursday and taking off Fri and Sat.. Now if he's on a run, naturally, he won't quit in the middle of it, at the six hour mark.. He would keep on going like he did last night, in an attempt to run more balls than the famous Mosconi run of 526.. And it's being streamed on Facebook at Bull Shooters FB page... Nice posts in the journal, Bill.. Enjoying it...

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

378 run. You could tell he was getting fatigued that rack. Still. Amazing!

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Im going to a concert in Phoenix tomorrow night and planning on visiting Bullshooters tomorrow afternoon. should be very entertaining.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
378 run. You could tell he was getting fatigued that rack. Still. Amazing!

I think he missed at 390, with 3 balls left on the table. That's 27 full racks, plus the 12 from the rack when he missed. It was definitely a makable shot into the side pocket, but I think he was stressed about the position he was shooting for because he did not have an ideal break ball left. It looked like he was going to have to use a ball along the bottom rail, and leave an angle to go off the bottom rail up into the underside of the stack -- but he did not get there. Or maybe the ball on the bottom rail was his key ball I forget already lol.

It was great to watch though!! I think that is his highest run of this session at Bullshooters. I am sure he was disappointed in himself for the miss because he makes that shot probably 99 out of 100 -- maybe more.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I think he missed at 390, with 3 balls left on the table. That's 27 full racks, plus the 12 from the rack when he missed. It was definitely a makable shot into the side pocket, but I think he was stressed about the position he was shooting for because he did not have an ideal break ball left. It looked like he was going to have to use a ball along the bottom rail, and leave an angle to go off the bottom rail up into the underside of the stack -- but he did not get there. Or maybe the ball on the bottom rail was his key ball I forget already lol.

It was great to watch though!! I think that is his highest run of this session at Bullshooters. I am sure he was disappointed in himself for the miss because he makes that shot probably 99 out of 100 -- maybe more.

I bet you’re right about the score Steve. They were updating after each rack was completed and I may have looked before they updated for that last rack. For some reason John got in trouble several times that last rack. Still what a performance.

That’s awesome Keith! Enjoy!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I bet you’re right about the score Steve. They were updating after each rack was completed and I may have looked before they updated for that last rack. For some reason John got in trouble several times that last rack. Still what a performance.

That’s awesome Keith! Enjoy!
I noticed his pace slowed way down and he seemed to be fighting the balls a little bit toward the end. He obviously knew he was close to 400. I almost thing he should leave the scoring to other people and not even try to know what the score is himself -- just try to keep the line moving and let someone else count. But it would still be in his head anyway I am sure, because he has done this so many times.