FBI reopens Mike Surber murder case!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Two agents from the FBI contacted me today, and came over for a one hour interview. They've been brought in to re-investigate the murder. This is great news, because they have the kind of resources necessary to make a full investigation of this old case from November, 2009.

They seemed to have some fresh info and/or angles, which of course they can't share. But hopefully this will bring some action!

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Two agents from the FBI contacted me today, and came over for a one hour interview. They've been brought in to re-investigate the murder. This is great news, because they have the kind of resources necessary to make a full investigation of this old case from November, 2009.

They seemed to have some fresh info and/or angles, which of course they can't share. But hopefully this will bring some action!

~Doc

Good news Doc. I met Mike at Skeeter's in Gulfport when I came to play in your tournament several years back. Great guy and deserves some justice for this terrible crime.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
art
that is REALLY GREAT NEWS
after all this time they wouldnt reopen the case unless they are close
I HOPE
:)
i also hope they get him
he could never get what he deserves but i hope he suffers greatly

chicagomike

Verified Member
Thank you for sharing the good news Doc...I'm still saddened and angry regarding that sudden and tragic day. I truly hope that the authorities can solve this and serve up a heaping helping of justice.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC

~Doc

Yes indeed, this is very good news

Mike is a personal friend of mine. We grew our respective games at Beenies place

Good Lord let them find this POS. Mike needs to rest peacefully

His time is coming Shorty ...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Didn't know Mike but I read about what happened and its just horrible....

I hope they solve this and bring the family some justice!

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
It is amazing after all of these years that they still have not found the guy. It is essentially a cold case. Really disturbing considering they have video of the guy and whatnot. :cool:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
They certainly had dna capability in 2009 - I wonder if they got a profile on this guy. Mike's house, Mike's car, etc. It seems likely that he has left the country. I wonder if Interpol has his picture.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One of the main problems all along has been that the pictures taken of the suspect from the pool room's surveillance video were grainy and of poor quality, even after enhancement.

But it's my understanding from early on that they had a DNA sample. I'm sure that the FBI will use their resources to try to track this guy. The agents I spoke with seemed optimistic, but after 7-1/2 years the task has become more difficult.

~Doc

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
What are the chances of you contacting the two FBI agents and asking about an update on this case.

Thanks,
joeyA

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
They certainly had dna capability in 2009 - I wonder if they got a profile on this guy. Mike's house, Mike's car, etc. It seems likely that he has left the country. I wonder if Interpol has his picture.

I guess we'd have to know why Doc thought they were talking to him again, but my first thought was that they had run video with a facial-recognition software program, or possibly even iris scan, and had some possible hits. Both of those are a lot more sophisticated now than they were 8 years ago.

Did you get any clues Doc?

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
What a nice guy and great player he was. I played him once back in 2007 (I think) in Springfield, VA. I knew I was up against a 'player' the moment he got down and stroked his first shot. I was in a bad game and made sure I let the person who brought him in know that I knew. But I was pocketing balls particularly well back then and wanted to see how I would fare. Long story short, I never missed a ball and managed to win the last of four games we played. That's how well he shot and moved. We were playing for $50/game. I was in dead stroke after that for several weeks.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
What are the chances of you contacting the two FBI agents and asking about an update on this case.

Thanks,
joeyA
Good suggestion, Joey. I'll call the one agent to see if there have been any nibbles. I'm sure they can't discuss details, but they might offer a hint as to whether or not they're on to something.

The problem from the get-go is that there were only poor pictures of the suspect to begin with. So photo ID is extremely difficult. Still, they do have DNA, so if they ever get a suspect in hand, then they can firm up the ID that way.

~Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I just spoke with the secondary agent on the case. He said to check the FBI's cold case posting on their website, which has been featured recently:

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seeking-info/michael-surber

This page can be shared with anyone, especially to our friends in the pool community. There's even a printable poster for download.

He said that they do have DNA evidence, and that it is in line at Quantico to be re-examined with newer cutting edge techniques. There is a tremendous backlog.

I'll get ahold of the lead agent in Gulfport when he's available to see if he can share anything further. But this is definitely a re-activated cold case.

~Doc

beatle

Verified Member
most prisons have taken dna samples so this guy must be in their data pool.
they will get a name when they get around to spending the time and money on it.