general strategy

jack

Verified Member
From
Washington, DC
When I first began learning this great game, the older guys I'd play with told me to try to leave the cueball in the 1x1 square near the opponents pocket....I've learned a lot since and now don't follow such a simple minded strategy...Recently I've started to leave them tied to the stack or move balls towards my hole while hiding them behind it...I find I can often win if I really move well early game...
However,mid game I'll sometimes find myself at a loss...I'll get in little wars of skimming off the rack and leaving my opponent on on the short rail, just to have him do the same to me...I know its hard to give advice without looking at a table, but in general, I know that most would say to play smarter/more defensive when ahead, and more aggressive when behind, and some players like Varner are known for pushing balls up table, but are there any useful generic concepts I should be learning to help get out and stop stalemates like this?

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
Just quickly thinking about it, there are two things I try to do mid game that I feel are beneficial (regardless if I'm ahead or behind).

No. 1: I always look for long bank to put a ball near my pocket and the cueball uptable (provided I won't leave my opponent a shot). This ensures that on the next shot, my opponent will have to kick or bank that ball away from my pocket, and it prevents my opponent from taking an offensive shot.

No. 2: If the tables are turned, and I am the one who has to remove a ball from near my opponent's pocket, instead of just randomly hitting it all the way uptable, I try to hit only part way uptable. What this does is it prevents my opponent from going for another offensive bank. Instead, he has to deal with the ball that's probably now by my side pocket.

I have found that the longer I can keep my opponent stuck taking defensive shots, the more likely I am to win the game. Too often, when you just try to move balls uptable when you're ahead, you never give yourself a chance to win.

jack

Verified Member
From
Washington, DC
BackPocket9Ball said:
Just quickly thinking about it, there are two things I try to do mid game that I feel are beneficial (regardless if I'm ahead or behind).

No. 1: I always look for long bank to put a ball near my pocket and the cueball uptable (provided I won't leave my opponent a shot). This ensures that on the next shot, my opponent will have to kick or bank that ball away from my pocket, and it prevents my opponent from taking an offensive shot.

No. 2: If the tables are turned, and I am the one who has to remove a ball from near my opponent's pocket, instead of just randomly hitting it all the way uptable, I try to hit only part way uptable. What this does is it prevents my opponent from going for another offensive bank. Instead, he has to deal with the ball that's probably now by my side pocket.

I have found that the longer I can keep my opponent stuck taking defensive shots, the more likely I am to win the game. Too often, when you just try to move balls uptable when you're ahead, you never give yourself a chance to win.

those are exactly the kinds of thoughts i was looking for....i think that, given the skill of the people i usually play, i could do the first well...if they want to go for a long shot, they're going to sell out more of the time..

thanks for the advice....keep it coming!

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Strategy

Strategy

I have said this before. Visualize what the table is going to look like when the balls stop rolling, and ask yourself whether the incoming player is going to like it. The fact that he can't shoot at his pocket or make a good lag or a good safety is not enough. Try to foresee all the options that may be available to him. If he can put you in a serious trap, it might benefit him more than the chance to make a ball or two. I know some pretty good shotmakers who can hardly wait for the balls to stop. They usually wonder why they can't play one pocket, and it's because they don't take the time to see all the things they should.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
When the stack is still intact, a lot of your maneuvering will revolve around it, since it provides such good cover for balls you are able to send near your hole. At that stage, you're of course:
  • Fighting off your opponent's moves -- you always have to defend against what they lay down
  • Always looking for an opening to make a ball with position for more -- that's the object of the game!
  • Trying to improve your own position if you can -- even if it's only in a small way
  • Protecting any advantage you might have as best you can
  • Keeping your eyes peeled for a good trapping opportunity

Once the stack is broken up -- of course if the score favors you, then get those balls out of play! If the score favors them, try to keep them in play if you can do that without committing suicide.

That 'middle game' with the balls open is extra risky because there are so many shooting and banking possibilities because of all the loose balls -- and that's why often both players are content to push balls up table. They both want to survive and get to a situation that they can control a bit more before 'making their move'. If you do get in that situation, at least try to make things as akward for your opponent as you can -- not just leaving the cue ball near the bottom rail -- get it frozen to the rail; not just kind of behind a ball, but buried behind a ball.

Here's something for you: If you're in a low stakes practice kind of game, then specifically practice trying to force either an uptable game or a downtable game just for building up your table management skills -- that will really help you as you get further into One Pocket. See if you can control the style of game -- and still win :) -- you'll learn a lot...

lfigueroa

Verified Member
general strategy

Too many players, particularly the old-timers, think they’re playing 1pocket when they skim the rack, send balls up table, and just bunt balls around.

In my experience, 1pocket amongst better players is very much like wrestling: from the very first move, they’re trying to get the other guy in hold that will eventually lead to a pin. That means, from the very first shot, you’re trying to leave your opponent as few options as possible and controlling what they do -- freezing them to the side of a ball, freezing them to a rail, and putting balls by your hole so that they’re forced to deal with them. You *make* the other guy shoot defensively and then you keep the heat on. The guy that can do this best wins.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
lfigueroa said:
Too many players, particularly the old-timers, think they’re playing 1pocket when they skim the rack, send balls up table, and just bunt balls around.

In my experience, 1pocket amongst better players is very much like wrestling: from the very first move, they’re trying to get the other guy in hold that will eventually lead to a pin. That means, from the very first shot, you’re trying to leave your opponent as few options as possible and controlling what they do -- freezing them to the side of a ball, freezing them to a rail, and putting balls by your hole so that they’re forced to deal with them. You *make* the other guy shoot defensively and then you keep the heat on. The guy that can do this best wins.

If they shoot well enough to take advantage once they 'beat the other guy to the shot' :)

jack

Verified Member
From
Washington, DC
thanks

thanks

more great replies and advice...thanks for the thoughts...i think a lot of it comes down to just playing...i'm fairly young and haven't played one pocket that long, so i know i have plenty of time to build up some experience...i just wish i could be doing it now instead of drudging through work...

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Adjusting your strategy

Adjusting your strategy

You have to play different players different ways. There are players that can bank off the end rail like they are hangers & can't & won't shoot a long straight in. In this case you send the cue ball down to the end rail when you can, not the object balls. If you put all the object balls down table & your opponent is a much better banker than you, you are giving him the best of it. You also have to play to your own style. If you are a shot maker, you have to take a swing once and a while or you won't be able to make anything when you do get a shot. The score also dictates your shot selection. When your down several balls, you might have to take a low percentage shot that gets you back in the game if you come with it. The great thing about one pocket is there are so many situations that can come up. You can learn a shot today & play every day for a long time until you see it again. That's about the only advantage an oldtimer like me has. Unfortunately, most of the shots I learned were from road players beating up on me over the years.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
jrhendy said:
That's about the only advantage an oldtimer like me has. Unfortunately, most of the shots I learned were from road players beating up on me over the years.
My mother would have called that "tuition" :) :)

jack

Verified Member
From
Washington, DC
jrhendy said:
You have to play different players different ways. There are players that can bank off the end rail like they are hangers & can't & won't shoot a long straight in. In this case you send the cue ball down to the end rail when you can, not the object balls. If you put all the object balls down table & your opponent is a much better banker than you, you are giving him the best of it. You also have to play to your own style. If you are a shot maker, you have to take a swing once and a while or you won't be able to make anything when you do get a shot. The score also dictates your shot selection. When your down several balls, you might have to take a low percentage shot that gets you back in the game if you come with it. The great thing about one pocket is there are so many situations that can come up. You can learn a shot today & play every day for a long time until you see it again. That's about the only advantage an oldtimer like me has. Unfortunately, most of the shots I learned were from road players beating up on me over the years.

makes sense to me...and i'm glad to hear "if you're a shot maker, you gotta go for it sometimes"....guys that move better than me look on with disapproval when i got for a hard cut...then frustration when i make it, break up the stack, and run 7 more...i'm not at the level where i can beat them with strategy and moves just yet, so i'll shoot the lights out if i have the chance...
thanks again for the words of wisdom...