efren martinez 46

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I'd start here .

Clipboard01.jpg[/ATTACH]

How is it possible to get under that ball at that angle?
There is max 3/4 of a ball width between the rail and the solid at the widest and you are coming in at a pretty steep angle.
Unless you shot so hard you compressed the rail, I think this shot is impossible. If it was off the rail farther ,yes, but not anywhere close to where it is in the picture.
Plus , you both need 3 , if you shoot it and don't make it or hang it in the pocket, you would have to be very lucky not to lose from there to any decent player, since you just put the 2nd and 3rd ball he needs in play and left one hanging in his hole.
I know you play good and both docs like the shot so it must be me.
What am I missing please?

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
How is it possible to get under that ball at that angle?
There is max 3/4 of a ball width between the rail and the solid at the widest and you are coming in at a pretty steep angle.
Unless you shot so hard you compressed the rail, I think this shot is impossible. If it was off the rail farther ,yes, but not anywhere close to where it is in the picture.
Plus , you both need 3 , if you shoot it and don't make it or hang it in the pocket, you would have to be very lucky not to lose from there to any decent player, since you just put the 2nd and 3rd ball he needs in play and left one hanging in his hole.
I know you play good and both docs like the shot so it must be me.
What am I missing please?

when you spin into the rail it will carom the stripe into the pocket almost every time. If It was further out you'd have a good chance to miss it. IMO

El Chapo

Verified Member
well once again you have to love rafaels flair
he also decided to go at the 6 ball
but why kick at it when you can just masse around the blockers...:eek:....:D
and leave the cue ball on the 2nd diamond on the head rail....:eek::eek:
View attachment 22614

the thing about him is he actually executes this stuff.

i have personally never seen anything like it. i mean it the guy does this stuff and executes and it is not even that irregular. i dont get it because if the air gets just a bit more moisture in it hell miss the whole ball you know what i mean. i dont even understand how it is possible for a player to have a feel for these shots like he does.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
someone else may help explain it better but in my opinion, going one rail, it looks like a smaller angle maybe? I dont know what it is but it would be the same proposition as this:

set the table up like it is, take CB in hand.

shot 1: place the CB starting off near the 2 ball and shoot the 6 (this represents the 1 rail kick)

shot 2: now place the CB over between the spot and the long rail where the 3/4 are now - shoot the 6 (this represents the 2 rail kick)

I feel like the first shot I have less chance to scratch on it because its coming in at an angle that allows me to hit almost any part of the 6 and then the CB could go to the rail. In the second shot example, I feel like there's a better chance that it scratches after making contact on the 6 because of the angle it's coming in on...

I was going to say, "Let Patrick respond since he knows all the math to this stuff...", but ahem, since you are asking, that's the best I got. :)
lol

It's just a curiosity, not a big deal... but here's how I see it.

The black line is the "most likely to scratch" angle of approach - i.e., the straightest, most likely to follow in angle.

The one-rail and two-rail kick options are pretty similar, but the one-rail is slightly straighter... i.e., slightly more likely to follow in.

I'd shoot the one-railer because it's much easier to aim - and I'd shoot it pocket speed.

pj
chgo

View attachment 70053

Attachments

• kicks.jpg
    kicks.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
lol

It's just a curiosity, not a big deal... but here's how I see it.

The black line is the "most likely to scratch" angle of approach - i.e., the straightest, most likely to follow in angle.

The one-rail and two-rail kick options are pretty similar, but the one-rail is slightly straighter... i.e., slightly more likely to follow in.

I'd shoot the one-railer because it's much easier to aim - and I'd shoot it pocket speed.

pj
chgo

View attachment 70053

Thanks for that diagram Pat, that's what I was trying to explain except in my mind the angle was better on the 1 railer. Looks like its pretty close and I would say whichever you feel more confident in hitting the 6 you should shoot. For me, I am with you, it's the 1 railer.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Ilike roling through the combo to make the 6 and 5 railing the three ball to my side but not far enough to leave a bank

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Ilike roling through the combo to make the 6 and 5 railing the three ball to my side but not far enough to leave a bank

I like the imagination on the 3 ball, but the 4 may come back cross corner to give your opponent a shot if hit that hard, imo of course.