Sad week for Midwest pool players

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Another GREAT player from the Midwest (Racine, WI) has passed away, another good friend for too many years. George "The Polish Prince" Pawelski has passed away today. George was a REAL tough action guy around the central states, played ALL games very well. He will be surely missed, my prayers go out to his family and close friends.

Here's George and Bobby Hunter just the other day at Freddy's wake, He wasn't looking to well then!

View attachment 10274

R.I.P. Polish Prince, give Freddy a hug for me.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Another GREAT player from the Midwest (Racine, WI) has passed away, another good friend for too many years. George "The Polish Prince" Pawelski has passed away today. George was a REAL tough action guy around the central states, played ALL games very well. He will be surely missed, my prayers go out to his family and close friends.

Here's George and Bobby Hunter just the other day at Freddy's wake, He wasn't looking to well then!

View attachment 10274

R.I.P. Polish Prince, give Freddy a hug for me.
Gorge Pawlaski was a great straight pool player. And he played all games great. And he had one of the better strokes in pool. We won they Schlitz eight ball championship in 1981 in Milwaukee . And the players on our team where Freddy Bentivegna, Gorge Pawlaski, John Abruzzo, Art Bodendorfer. Esto's Lounge. There is a great picture of the four of us winning the tournament. And its a good picture of Gorge when he was younger.And we have known each other over 50 years. I like that. Its great to no someone for 50 years. And even greater if they are married for 50 years or more. I am sorry that Gorge had to go through all that pain and suffering. But we don't no when or how our Journey will end. A golden heart stopped beating working hands were but to rest. God broke our hearts to prove to us He only takes the best. Freddy will be at the gate waiting with St Peter to great you and join the best.

JAM

Verified Member
So sorry to read this news. It is heart-breaking in recent times to read the passing of these great players. :(

My deepest sympathies to his family, loved ones, and friends.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I heard that George courageously came up from Racine, Wisconson to Chicago for Freddy's memorial service -- despite being obviously mortally ill himself. Now there goes a good friend.

George was one of the veterans of Johnston City that came to the One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner in 2011 for the 50th anniversary of the first Johnston City tournament. I had invited George by looking him up in the same home town that George Jansco had him listed nearly 50 years earlier! He came to every HOF dinner after that, obviously really enjoying himself. It was a nice reconnection with Freddy too. George and Freddy were teammates back in about 1980 on a national championship 8-ball team that also included One Pocket great Artie Bodendorfer and Chicago's John Abbruzzo -- how is that for a killer line-up?!

Below is an old Johnston City photo of George.

Attachments

• George-Pawelski-web.jpg
    George-Pawelski-web.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 0

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
That photo of all the guys is from the 1981 issue of the, "Billiard News," Conrad Birkman's monthly paper.

In the final match for the championship, Freddy had to run out for their team to win it ALL! The other team only had to make 2 balls to win, this was most likely one of Freddy's most shining moments in tournament play! You go FRIZZ!
:D

BTW, Steve, GREAT photo of George from Johnston City!

Last edited: