Requiem for my pup

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
...I know I haven't been around to give the proper acknowledgment and encouragement to our players that were at the tourn. Especially my home-pool-room boy, Chris G., the surprising Lou F., and the amazing John H. Maybe next time for John B.

Sorry, but this is the first time I have been able to put my feelings down on paper.
...I have been in one of the deepest funks of my life. I lost my best friend last Friday. I had to put my pal of 13 ½ years, the wonderful, Little Pup, down. It was probably the worst day of my life. I feel that there is a gigantic hole in me that can never be filled. Everywhere that I look are reminders of just how much of my life he was a part of. I have never felt this horrible even when family died. Sorry, but that is the truth.

He hadn't been feeling well for the past few months. He didn't want me to leave him alone for even a minute. When I was at the computer, I had to keep him on my lap. The few times I went out at night, my roommate John would have to sit with him until I came home. Finally, his kidneys gave out and he couldn't walk or eat or even drink water. We rushed him to the vet and he gave us a few hours to be with him. Even in his last moments he tried to raise his head and snuggle to us. He never whimpered once. He probably knew we, my son, my ex-wife, and I, would go to pieces if he did. I only hope that I can show a modicum of the courage he had when I am on the way out.

I have no real point to this downer post other than to give my guy a decent requiem. Sympathy responses are not necessary. I just wanted tell everybody about another real champion.

Beard

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 0
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 0
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 0

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Freddy,

I am sorry for your loss. Reading your words, it is very telling how much he meant to you.

I can see my timing of my post that was meant to make you have a laugh, is probably a bad time, or maybe it can be looked at, as maybe a quick chance to release some of that grief with a little laugh. I've been working on it for a few hours and when I posted it, that is when I saw your message. If I would have saw that first.. I would have waited for a better time.

I hope you get another one, to keep you company. He won't be a replacement, but it will help with the healing.

Greg

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I'm so sorry for your horrible loss. I use to dislike cats. Of course I never harmed one. Then a cat started hanging out at my house. I didn't care. Then he ran inside the house. I didn't care. Then I began to like him. Then I began to like all cats. A year later a neighbor shot and killed him. It was all I could do to keep from killing this person. So I got another black and white short haired beautiful female cat. I loved her so much. The only thing was she liked it where it was the warmest (or hottest). In the winter she stayed inside always. But in the summer I wanted the ac on 75 and she wanted outside where it was hot. I thought she was immune after seven years. She never left the yard. She did not hunt and kill. She was so smart. She had more hiding places than hitler. Somehow a wolf came into the yard one night and lured her close and killed her. I was crushed beyond belief. I mourned like never before. It was much worse than when my father or mother passed. I know somewhat how you must feel. A deep pain that injures the soul. I could not leave home for weeks except to go to the methadone clinic. They thought I was using and kept giving me ua piss tests which were clean. I'm damaged goods and always will be..But I love my animals............

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Freddy, that is really rough and I can feel through your words how much pain you're in. Just take it a day at a time.

Would you care to share how Little Pup came into your life all those years ago?

Lou Figueroa

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Many of us know your pain Fred. I lost my 14 year old Rufus around six months ago.

I wasn't sure I wanted another dog but circumstances left me with a new pup a month ago.

It is not the same, but she has worked her way into my life already.

You will know when it is time and what dog would have a better life than being with you.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
SAD STUFF PAL.
They just don't live long enough.
I try to make their life good while they're here. I know you do also.
Rod.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
Freddy....sorry to hear of the loss of your "best friend".

I know the emptiness that you feel having lost my 11 year old Boxer (Cassie Girl) just 7 months ago.

Like Jrhendy said....You'll know when it's time to get another one.

And then you can start the training process all over again.....Ugh....!

I waited 5 months before getting a (2) month old Boxer pup and I'm still training her to be another great pal.

I tell Navi...(that's the puppy's name) all the time...."You ain't no Cassie...Yet...! So don't get so cocky.

But she is turning out to be quite the character.

I stayed up late last night watching the One Pocket Tourny and I put her out early this morning and went back to bed.

When I got up later and called her from out in the back lot.... she came running at full speed....I had the back door open and when she got to the three steps at the back stoop.....she leaped all of them and broad jumped the 4' landing all in one vault and slid 10' across the kitchen floor...stopping only after she crashed into the refrigerator....

ILMAO at that clown....:D

So I'm just trying to give you some encouragement....It will get better as time passes.

I didn't think I had the patience to raise another puppy at my age but I have now made it through the rough part.

But she's trying hard to be another great friend....;)

Hope you find another great friend soon Freddy.....:cool:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
He repaired an earlier pain

He repaired an earlier pain

lfigueroa said:
Freddy, that is really rough and I can feel through your words how much pain you're in. Just take it a day at a time.

Would you care to share how Little Pup came into your life all those years ago?

Lou Figueroa

Little Pup was a result of filling another gaping hole when our first dachound, Max, died after 19 years. My son was inconsolable and wouldnt think about having another dog, but I knew if I got one for "myself" he would eventually attach to him. The attachment process took about a minute -- he was hooked just after he selected Little Pup out of a litter of three. Little Pup was probably the only thing my ex wife and I were ever in agreement on.

Beard

Deeman

Verified Member
Sorry Fred, Animals add so much to our lives and unlike people, rarely disappoint us!

Sorry for your loss.

DeeMan

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Very sorry Freddy.....I knew Little Pup a little bit myself...for some reason I have this memory from the old DCC about 8 years ago...it was that unseasonably warm DCC, about 60 degrees...you had brought Little Pup with you to the tournament/Executive West, and John was walking him in the grass across from the parking lot, and it was so nice out that I walked with them for a little bit.

- Ghost

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
DCC Executive West

DCC Executive West

One Pocket Ghost said:
Very sorry Freddy.....I knew Little Pup a little bit myself...for some reason I have this memory from the old DCC about 8 years ago...it was that unseasonably warm DCC, about 60 degrees...you had brought Little Pup with you to the tournament/Executive West, and John was walking him in the grass across from the parking lot, and it was so nice out that I walked with them for a little bit.

- Ghost

Thanks Ghost. Here is my boy "reading" my book the GosPool at my booth at the Executive West that year.

Beard

Attachments

• Little Pup Reading fix.JPG
    Little Pup Reading fix.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 0

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
I recommend you get another "lil pup".

It will be good for you and the pup.

Best wishes my friend,

Ken

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Ken_4fun said:
I recommend you get another "lil pup".

It will be good for you and the pup.

Best wishes my friend,

Ken

I just got back to normal from the pool tournement. But I will post that on a new tread.

But that is the the best thing anyone could say. What ken for fun said too get another pup.

And its always good to replace a peace off our life. You donot want too hold on too your loss. And dwell on it.

When I was 8 years old when I cam from Austra too Americaa. I had too give up me greatest friend Boobie my dog.

I cryed from they day we left. All the way too Americaa. eVERY WERE i WENT bOOBIE WOULD FOLLOW ME TO SCHOOL TOO CHURCH IN THE FOREST EVERY WERE.

He was my only friend we lived on the farm and thier were no people around for miles.

And all I had was my dog he was my friend and we did everything together.

And when youre young nothing hirts more then too loose youre only friend.

And I still think about him and wonder what happened yopo him. Buy thats life. And when you are a kid you do what youre told.

And when you see youre pet every day. They grow on you.

BUt I had too leave him. If I had my choice I would have stayed in Austria with Boobie. And my parents and brothers could have went too America without me.

But thats life. And we keep going.

My friend Frank told me in MCC. THat the only one he trusts in his life is his dog.

And he was dead serious.

But I am very sorry for youre dog. And he did like the salomie I gave him.

The pupp was friendly and loveable and you could only love him with those floopy ears,

Its always hard too say goodby my friend I have knowen you since you were a pupp.

All those special times and momonts off joy. And for him waitihg at the door when you come in. Will certaoinly be missed.

And Everyone that new pupp will miss him alo. What makes it so hard is when we get so attachet that it huts us inside. Because he was a part off youre life.

And its like loosing a peace off you. All I can say Freddy. is you are not alone. Thier are other people who feel the same way.

But no matter how sorry or bad we feel. IY will not change what happened. And your great loss. Will be with you forever.

But if bupp could tal;k too you now. He would tell you too get a nother little pupp.

And make the new pupp. A part off youre life. And Pupp would want you too feel good with the new pupp. And you would make him part off youre family.

And youre family would grow.

All the thisgs you did with pupp . Will be remembered. And my last words are.

Life goes on no matter what. But you have the choice howe you want to live and think about it.

You treated Pupp like a king. Nobody in the world would have treated pupp better then you.

He was lucky too have a great master like you. WE all have too face things in life we dont like too see.

We dont have too hold on too it. It is not in our control. And too show your feelings is very special.

You have done your part now you have too be strong enough too go on.

Because thats what pupp would want. And get another pupp that looks just like pupp one. And call him pupp number two.

Life has its joy and sadness just like its happiness and anger.

BUt its always good too remember. All the great times you had together.

Good bye my friend its hard too die. I have seen you come and go.

And together we will always be. Tell one day we will meet again.

I am sorry for you Fred more then the pupp. Because its you who has to carry the pain and loss.

But thier is a little barking pupp number two waithing too get his turn in life.

Solong little pupp. I liket him too. Or else I would have never called him little Adolff.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Sincere thanks to all...

Sincere thanks to all...

...that expressed their sympathy for me and my pup. It helped a little. I didnt realize how many of you have experienced the same thing with your own pets.

Beard

bstroud

Verified Member
Freddy,

I really know how you must feel. When I lost "Clyde" my Old English Sheep Dog after 16 years it was 5 years before I wanted to talk to anyone.

It was 15 years before I could think about having another dog.

Now I have "Alfie" a Polish Lowland Sheep Dog and when he goes I will probably go with him.

All the best-

Bill Stroud

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Very sorry for your loss...

Very sorry for your loss...

Fred,

Deepest sympathy...I understand your pain. Kathy and I, had 6 Dachsunds during our 36 years together. They all had different personalities but we
loved them all equally. We were lucky, I guess, as all lived to be at least 15. And, as as you say was harder than losing some our relatives.

I hope you accept this in the spirit it was meant. Anyone who loves their pets like you did, cannot be anything but a good human being.

Dick

PS..Short story. When one of our beloved dogs, (Frankie, short for Frankfurter) passed on, Kathy was unconsolable, as was I. Our other dog, at the time,Ernie, (who was getting on in years) she insisted we would have no more pets ever again..It was too tough losing them. About 2 mos. later, I drove out to a Dachsund breeder with my 5 year old grandson...We picked up the cutest red, long haired Dachsie I had ever seen. (Sammy, short for Samantha)...I lectured little Ricky on the way home, not to tell grandma, and snuck our new baby in the back yard and told him to tell grandma, he wanted to play in the backyard with her, so she would be surprised at the new arrival... He was excited with the new puppy, so he burst in the front door, and after the usual kisses and hugs from her, he blurted out "Grandma...theres a dog in the back yard"...Needless to say, they bonded immediately. She was curled up in Kathy's arms, when her time came.

Bottom line is Fred, when you are through grieving, find a new baby to give a great a new life to...Even if he/she outlives you, you will have someone to say goodbye too,...besides an ordinary human being.

PPS..Didn't mean to make this all about our pets...but I sincerely hope, it helps a little...:)

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
That sentiment...

That sentiment...

bstroud said:
Freddy,

I really know how you must feel. When I lost "Clyde" my Old English Sheep Dog after 16 years it was 5 years before I wanted to talk to anyone.

It was 15 years before I could think about having another dog.

Now I have "Alfie" a Polish Lowland Sheep Dog and when he goes I will probably go with him.

All the best-

Bill Stroud

...of all the sympathetic posts everyone was nice enough to send to me, most accurately describes my feelings of the moment. Except for me waiting 15 years to get another dog. I dont have that much time, so I will get another soon. Maybe we will be like Jerry the Greek, and King the Wonder Dog. I forgot which one went first, but the other went soon after.

Beard