2018 Hall of Fame Nominations

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I would nominate Harold Worst. His life was shorter than most but regarded as one of the very best all-around players to have ever lived, including one pocket!

Scott Frost/Alex P. would be my living players.

Thanks for doing this Steve,
Dave

Yep,
From everything I ever heard, he was a great player and a total gentleman...
How could he not be considered when all the greats of his time refused to play him any game!!!

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I nominate Scott Frost for the Hall of Fame. As for a past great, I will defer to the more senior members. For life time in action, I would vote for James Walden.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I have to treat this the way I do gambling matches: I can't vote for or against Scott.

His sister's ex-husband is the second cousin of a guy who's engaged to the sister of a girl I once dated.

Be-otch dumped me!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It seems to me that time is gradually slipping away for us to honor some of the greats from the past. Johnny "Irish" Lineen has made the list before, but his name doesn't seem to have enough recognition for most of the voters. Both Marcel Camp and Johnny Ervolino have been considered, but likewise have not gotten the votes. IMO all these guys should go in, especially since living relatives will be next to impossible to find-- at least for Lineen and Camp. But we'd at least have them in for posterity.

In my view Harold Worst should not be in the 1P HOF because he simply didn't play 1P long enough. He was arguably a lethal player-- some think the best of all time at all games. But the man had a horribly early demise at age 37 in 1966-- just about the time that one-pocket was starting to become more widely known. He's in the BCA HOF, and likely in the USBA or similar HOF, since his initial world champion game was 3C. As I recall, he has been considered before, but didn't receive enough votes.

Eddie Robin's two books on one-pocket are probably enough to qualify for his consideration into the "Teachers & Promoters" category. They've both been the subjects of much discussion and learning since their publication in the late 1990s. Robin has come up several times in past years, but in the end he was passed over for more deserving candidates such as the Jansco Brothers and Greg Sullivan.

For our living player, it might be time to bring in Scott Frost. There was never a question of him getting in the HOF, only when. It seems to me that he's semi-retired from tournament play due to his room owner responsibilities, so now is probably as good a time as any.

We've had plenty of discussion about Greg Stevens coming in as "Lifetime Pool in Action" category. We have several guys on the site who can attest to his action prowess and activities. Maybe it's time to consider him.

~Doc

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I nominate Scott Frost for the Hall of Fame. As for a past great, I will defer to the more senior members. For life time in action, I would vote for James Walden.

My bad...I thought James was a one-pocket player.

Guess he wasn't as good as I thought.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
It seems to me that time is gradually slipping away for us to honor some of the greats from the past. Johnny "Irish" Lineen has made the list before, but his name doesn't seem to have enough recognition for most of the voters. Both Marcel Camp and Johnny Ervolino have been considered, but likewise have not gotten the votes. IMO all these guys should go in, especially since living relatives will be next to impossible to find-- at least for Lineen and Camp. But we'd at least have them in for posterity.

In my view Harold Worst should not be in the 1P HOF because he simply didn't play 1P long enough. He was arguably a lethal player-- some think the best of all time at all games. But the man had a horribly early demise at age 37 in 1966-- just about the time that one-pocket was starting to become more widely known. He's in the BCA HOF, and likely in the USBA or similar HOF, since his initial world champion game was 3C. As I recall, he has been considered before, but didn't receive enough votes.

Eddie Robin's two books on one-pocket are probably enough to qualify for his consideration into the "Teachers & Promoters" category. They've both been the subjects of much discussion and learning since their publication in the late 1990s. Robin has come up several times in past years, but in the end he was passed over for more deserving candidates such as the Jansco Brothers and Greg Sullivan.

For our living player, it might be time to bring in Scott Frost. There was never a question of him getting in the HOF, only when. It seems to me that he's semi-retired from tournament play due to his room owner responsibilities, so now is probably as good a time as any.

We've had plenty of discussion about Greg Stevens coming in as "Lifetime Pool in Action" category. We have several guys on the site who can attest to his action prowess and activities. Maybe it's time to consider him.

~Doc

I do not understand why we dont consider bringing several old timers each year until we get caught up with players who never got recognition. I agree with all your considerations, my choice being different than yours for"Lifetime
Pool in Action". My choice having done it longer than anyone else living.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I do not understand why we dont consider bringing several old timers each year until we get caught up with players who never got recognition.

i agree with you bill.
the old masters will be forgotten if we dont honor them
all those mentioned by doc are good choices

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
i bring up for discussion parica and bustamonte
Parica is already in the HOF. Busty may go in one day, but IMO he's only played good 1P for the past several years. He did win the DCC last time, but to me he doesn't yet have the curriculum vitae of a legendary 1P player.

~Doc

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I have to treat this the way I do gambling matches: I can't vote for or against Scott.

His sister's ex-husband is the second cousin of a guy who's engaged to the sister of a girl I once dated.

Be-otch dumped me!

:lol :lol :lol

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
For an, 'All around' GAMBLING player, Harold Worst sent shivers down the spines of EVERY player, (including Eddie Taylor) at Jansco's and where ever he showed up!

Just imagine, He never had the chance to reach his peak!

R.I.P. Mr Worst.

I think he would be a shoe in!

youngstown

Verified Member
2018 Hall of Fame Nominations

I like Larry’s idea of having Eddie Robin, and I also like The Freezer, and I’m with Ky on finding another elder statesmen. Is there a limit on how many can be voted in per year? I vote for the maximum, whatever it is.

beatle

Verified Member
as ive said in the past j.e. wasnt worth it as his rep as a person who double crossed so many should keep him out.

a h.o.f. fame should have some integrity on who goes in. not a popularity contest or an ability contest.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
as ive said in the past j.e. wasnt worth it as his rep as a person who double crossed so many should keep him out.

a h.o.f. fame should have some integrity on who goes in. not a popularity contest or an ability contest.

If that was the case, integrity, Several shouldn’t be in. We are talking about rogues.