N. Varner vs. E. Reyes 1999 D.C.C.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
......:cool:.....

What an eye you have. You are moving really good today to see this shot before all of us :D

I'll tell you what, just to comment further on the shot. I mean, he aint going to shoot rail first and put him on the end rail, right? That would be the most anti-climactic wwyd ever.

Ok, here I go.... Varner offensive thinking..... (I may think this way too if I was playing efren)...... diamonds play short right? That is what I hate about these wwyd's, you need to know how the table is playing to choose, but, assuming the table is playing short.......

Shoot that 12 with low left, come around 4 rails just missing the 10 off the 3rd rail, and get straight in on either the 1 or the 4 and end it. That's IF the table is short!!! lol.

I am going to make a picture cus I know you one pocket players get confused :D and I know I'll take more of a bashing miller style if I diagram it too :cool:

Attachments

• varner's-shot1.jpg
    varner's-shot1.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Toilet paper under the table!? A lot of it too. Great idea. I guess this means somebody is taking a lot of craps? Or shitting out? Or both. lol.

Attachments

• Duck-2.jpg
    Duck-2.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 0

bstroud

Verified Member
Here is a situation where you must decide if YOU want to win or wait for your opponent to lose.

I like to win. I'm shooting at the 10 ball and playing position on the 1 ball no matter who I'm playing.

Bill S.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Here is a situation where you must decide if YOU want to win or wait for your opponent to lose.

I like to win. I'm shooting at the 10 ball and playing position on the 1 ball no matter who I'm playing.

Bill S.

Trust me, if the ten ball isn't blocked Varner can run out from here. I think its blocked and Ghostie's shot is the only thing to do. I would be interested to see if Dick and Ghost would shoot that shot if the ten is not blocked.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Considering the score, and the fact that the ball is too deep in the pocket for a sure-thing-controllable-dig-out, any normal human One Pocket player is supposed to make the guy's ball for him, rail first, leaving him froze on the head rail - end of discussion...:cool:...

Now if a guy in this scenario shot as straight as Shane or John Schmidt, and wanted to shoot the 10 ball instead (presuming he could see enough of the 10 ball to make it) - that would be permissible - barely - but it would still be the second best choice...:cool:

- The :hehpinionated Gh:hehst

Ghost, you got me all confused. Where is the head rail?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I would be interested to see if Dick and Ghost would shoot that shot if the ten is not blocked.

Anyone who just ran 6 balls and wouldn't shoot this simple shot, should go home and get under the bed or their wife's dress.
Rod.
P.S. With this sort of confidence, they'd never run 6 balls in the first place.

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania
well, if the 12 goes( i didnt think it did in my first post ) , why not make it with a little inside and try to bump the 15 for poe on the 13? instead of all the way around for the 1 or 4?
if theres an open shot , i think varner will shoot here.
just to add, i like the 4 rails behind the 1/4 IF i can get there , id realy hate to come up short there , have no easy shot And and snooker myself from that hanger in efrens pocket.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
well, if the 12 goes( i didnt think it did in my first post ) , why not make it with a little inside and try to bump the 15 for poe on the 13? instead of all the way around for the 1 or 4?

If your going to do that, might as well snatch your rock a 'little' more and make the 7 and continue your inning, whitey might go down to the head rail...

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania

If your going to do that, might as well snatch your rock a 'little' more and make the 7 and continue your inning, whitey might go down to the head rail...

Agreed , thats probably what he did anyway

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
You either pocket the 7 ball or play the 12ball and play shape for either the 1ball or 4ball. If you decide to shoot the 12ball you shoot it the most natural way because pocketing the ball is what the shot is all about.

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Considering that I just had the luxury of pocketing six balls I now have a more comfortable feel at the table. With this shot on the twelve (should it be in a position where it can go) I would be more inclined to take the shot. Would I go so far as to apply inside english to bump the eleven? Probably not but I might have to consider it. I would probably play it as Billy suggested and cinch the ball coming up for a possible shot on the one. If I come up with a good angle for the one, so be it. I will then have to make another decision to shoot or play safe. Primary goal; make whatever I'm shooting at.

If I had not just shot six balls but still had a five to one lead, I would be more apt to pocket the seven and not take a chance on picking up one ball in a situation where I could very well loose the game should I miss. For me this is one of those spots where the right shot is measured by the little man deep inside.

Tom

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Even though I know what Varner did, I'm still going to tell what I'd do. If I could shoot the 12 and be certain of a next shot I would shoot the 12, knowing that if I missed it I'd be up 5-2. However, in this situation I'd probably shoot the 7 ball in and leave the cueball sitting there.

Trying to hit the cueball with inside and hit those two balls for shapes is too tough for me and going uptable to the 1 & 4 is just as tough for me. I'll take what the table gives in this spot.

Dennis

squeezeplay

Verified Member
1st time responder so go easy on me.

In order of preference #1 make seven ball and freeze to back rail #2 shoot the open ball with draw and try to disturb the seven ball ( maybe get a shot) #3 cinch the open ball and #4 shoot open ball and try to get position on the downtable 1 or 2 (or both).

One must make adjustments when playing Eferen. The risk/reward of shot selection has to be weighted toward more risk because there will be less innings in a typical Reyes game. You need to capitalize on reasonable opportunities.

Therefor, I -feeling more comfortable and trying to capitalize on my opportunities - would shoot #2 because it gives a possibility of getting more balls and shooting a much firmer stroke under pressure circumstances is always nice.

Varner, on the other hand, probably made the seven.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
1st time responder so go easy on me.

In order of preference #1 make seven ball and freeze to back rail #2 shoot the open ball with draw and try to disturb the seven ball ( maybe get a shot) #3 cinch the open ball and #4 shoot open ball and try to get position on the downtable 1 or 2 (or both).

One must make adjustments when playing Eferen. The risk/reward of shot selection has to be weighted toward more risk because there will be less innings in a typical Reyes game. You need to capitalize on reasonable opportunities.

Therefor, I -feeling more comfortable and trying to capitalize on my opportunities - would shoot #2 because it gives a possibility of getting more balls and shooting a much firmer stroke under pressure circumstances is always nice.

Varner, on the other hand, probably made the seven.

SP,

What would you shoot if you were in an even game with an evenly matched opponent?

Good line of thinking though:).

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Varner decided to cut the 12 in and he missed it badly. It was his last shot of the 5-game match and cleared the way for Effie to play in & win the finals match for his first of five DCC titles in One-Pocket. This match was one of the semi-finals.

varner's shot3.jpg

After putting up the ball he owed, Varner left Efren here:

varner's leave.jpg

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Rod, great minds think alike...;) Do you want the left half, or the right half, of the cookie? Jokes aside, I'm surprised Nicky missed the 12. The 15 must have been very close to the aim line on the 12-ball cut, thereby affecting his shot perception.

Doc