F. Bustamante vs. S. Ochoa 2010 D.C.C.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
This is my shot: Pocket the ten and lay the CB on Bustey's long rail to obtain an angle where I can bank the 3 and put him on top of the those 2 balls.

However, I am guessing Sylver did something unconventional - is the combination with the 4 possible from an up table position? Maybe he went "bowling" and pocketed the 10 with a ton of right english, seeking break up the stripe and the 4?

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
F. Bustamante vs. S. Ochoa 2010 D.C.C.

This is my shot: Pocket the ten and lay the CB on Bustey's long rail to obtain an angle where I can bank the 3 and put him on top of the those 2 balls.

However, I am guessing Sylver did something unconventional - is the combination with the 4 possible from an up table position? Maybe he went "bowling" and pocketed the 10 with a ton of right english, seeking break up the stripe and the 4?

My first instinct also.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
When we talk about upper echelon players like Sylver and Busty, pocketing the 10ball and playing semi difficult position for the bank on the 3ball is not a very strong option because of the exactness you need to be on the 3ball for it to be a good choice. I myself would much rather play to break out the 4ball by going two cushions int the 14ball and gamble on pocketing more balls. Sylver is close enough to the 10ball to hit it with the speed and accuracy this type of a shot demands.

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

`In regard to the break out "right english" is too difficult to judge and you also lose accuracy with the hit. Center ball left english is easier to control, plus you're able to hit the shot with more speed without sacrificing accuracy. My choice would be to choose the break out option with the way I described.

Using the type of stroke and english I suggested for this shot enables you to feel the angle with the cue ball much easier...and with this shot you need to be pretty much exact with your cue ball to get the maximum from your effort.

Bill Incardona

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Dr. Bill in post #6 is the shot for me. Draw two rails into the stripe and pink. If you mess around and miss those two balls you can still run into red and come up with a shot on that ball. It looks good for you from here. Easy shot too..

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
The Ghost sees all...

We can't tell from here, without being at the table...but instead of shooting that 10 ball - maybe kicking right now..:eek:..meaning..I just wonder if that combination might be lined up perfectly for the 4 to cut the 10 ball in, or lined up for the 4 to go in off of the 10 ball - if one of those was lined right up and Sylver kicked/shot it - he could get out from there..:cool:

- Ghost<-----Always looking for those kicks...:heh

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I wanna come four around and try and lay on the long rail to play the four ball combo . I will then use a natural rolling cue ball to get behind the three blocker. Busty won't wanna shoot the ball in the upper corner if I'm able to get the four ball on my side long rail just above pocket. The four looks easy to control and naturally hits the bottom rail first.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
The Ghost sees all...

We can't tell from here, without being at the table...but instead of shooting that 10 ball - maybe kicking right now..:eek:..meaning..I just wonder if that combination might be lined up perfectly for the 4 to cut the 10 ball in, or lined up for the 4 to go in off of the 10 ball - if one of those was lined right up and Sylver kicked/shot it - he could get out from there..:cool:

- Ghost<-----Always looking for those kicks...:heh

Almost Ghost...BUT a better variation would be to bank the 3 ball over to your side then play the cue ball off the end rail to kick the combination to your hole. Both balls are going to go to your hole and without the 3 ball there the chances of leaving a shot are slim.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Almost Ghost...BUT a better variation would be to bank the 3 ball over to your side then play the cue ball off the end rail to kick the combination to your hole. Both balls are going to go to your hole and without the 3 ball there the chances of leaving a shot are slim.

Before you shoot the Ghost's and your shot, first be sure and tell the backer to go to the bathroom so he wont get to sweat it.:lol

Beard

bstroud

Verified Member
I don't like shooting in the 10 ball and drawing the cue ball. Too easy to scratch.

I would shoot in the 10 ball and follow the cue ball 3 rails with the pink ball as your target. If you hit it well you may have a shot at the 3 ball to your pocket.

If you don't hit it as well you still have the 3 ball to do something with. Kick it to your pocket or 3 rail up and down.

Bill S.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I don't like shooting in the 10 ball and drawing the cue ball. Too easy to scratch.

I would shoot in the 10 ball and follow the cue ball 3 rails with the pink ball as your target. If you hit it well you may have a shot at the 3 ball to your pocket.

If you don't hit it as well you still have the 3 ball to do something with. Kick it to your pocket or 3 rail up and down.

Bill S.

You could also come aggressively three rails into those three balls and open up a shot/bank or some other variation. There's very little chance of a scratch coming that way, but I wanna move or open up some balls if possible. If you came across the pink you could very well have a shot on the three ball after the carom. The table appears to play fast seeing the conditions of the cloth.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
That second pic that got posted shows all. I am sure he did not do this otherwise this would not be a wwyd, but I know for a fact with that shot it is a 100% hanger to shoot the 10 in and lay the cb on the side rail for the bank on the 3. With that angle you can follow the bank downtable with the white.

In short, I am in the hendy camp here thinking you guys are talking big here but you'd all bank the 3 after the 10 for the cash but you are talking about hero shots on the net :) :D

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Bill S.
Bill, you're correct about the possible scratch if you have to "draw" the cue ball, however, if a center ball takes you "naturally" away from the scratch then I would use a center ball with a "tad" of left english to tweak the angle. Of course you would have to be comfortable with the angle to shoot the shot.

There are angles that clearly suggest that scratching is not possible if the shot is struck accurately, (using a center ball) if the angle suggest that, then the "two rail" break out is not a risky shot. Perhaps this particular angle is too flat for the reassurance of the action needed for this type of shot, if so then going three cushions into the balls is the better shot. The option many players are suggesting with "drawing" the cue ball for position for the 3ball bank is on, then my suggestion with the break out is not correct because of the angle being too flat. I am under the impression that the angle offered for this shot is too clumsy to draw for position for the 3ball bank...if so then the break out is a better option.

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Bill, you're correct about the possible scratch if you have to "draw" the cue ball, however, if a center ball takes you "naturally" away from the scratch then I would use a center ball with a "tad" of left english to tweak the angle. Of course you would have to be comfortable with the angle to shoot the shot.

There are angles that clearly suggest that scratching is not possible if the shot is struck accurately, (using a center ball) if the angle suggest that, then the "two rail" break out is not a risky shot. Perhaps this particular angle is too flat for the reassurance of the action needed for this type of shot, if so then going three cushions into the balls is the better shot. The option many players are suggesting with "drawing" the cue ball for position for the 3ball bank is on, then my suggestion with the break out is not correct because of the angle being too flat. I am under the impression that the angle offered for this shot is too clumsy to draw for position for the 3ball bank...if so then the break out is a better option.

Bill Incardona
Taking another look at the angle it appears that the angle is too "steep" to comfortably play position for the 3ball bank..and too "flat" to play the "two rail" break out comfortably. If so then the "three cushion" break out is the best option.

If the angle is comfortable to play position for the 3ball bank then I would choose that option..but like The Ghost say's ..you have to be at the table to make that decision.

All the options that have been discussed are viable options, however, the angle of the shot is crucial in choosing which option is correct.

Bill Incardona