One Pocket = Not Boring

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I posted this on a thread over at azbilliards, and I thought I'd put it over here as well....it was on a thread about straight pool, and a poster was speaking to SJDick, but he was pretty much speaking to all of us diehard One Pocket players when he asked this question.....he asked, in so many words >>> "how can us One Pocket players say that straight pool is a boring game, and not think that One Pocket is a boring game, and he asked, how can it not be boring to play a game where you're usually not even trying to pocket a ball ?".........Pool players who don't play and don't like One Pocket are always saying One Pocket is boring - because they don't understand the game, or they don't have what it takes, ( brains and patience ) to play it.......Anyway, this was my answer to him......

" Brian, obviously, as my screen name implies, I'm a hard core One Pocket player - but I'm not prejudiced....although I don't, and have no desire, to play straight pool myself, I do think Straight Pool along with One Pocket, are hands down, the two best pool games ( and also 3c billiards ). As to your 'boring question.....

To a hard core One Pocket player, not shooting to pocket a ball in your inning is not boring at all - conversely, searching for and executing a beautiful safety, rearranging the balls in your favor, or sadistically trapping your opponent is extremely interesting and satisfying !....................And as for straight pool being boring, the real reason that straight pool is boring is usually not stated in these debates....to me, it's not the game itself or the shots in straight pool that define the 'boring factor' - it's the fact that if you're playing a decent to excellent player you will have to sit in your chair for 10, 20, 30, minutes at a time while he keeps shooting/running balls - THAT'S what's boring......Conversely, in One Pocket, you are shooting regularly, pretty much every minute or two - that's one very relevant reason why it's NOT boring to play One Pocket - every inning you are constantly involved/engaged in the game."

- Ghost

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
One Pocket Ghost said:
I posted this on a thread over at azbilliards, and I thought I'd put it over here as well....it was on a thread about straight pool, and a poster was speaking to SJDick, but he was pretty much speaking to all of us diehard One Pocket players when he asked this question.....he asked, in so many words >>> "how can us One Pocket players say that straight pool is a boring game, and not think that One Pocket is a boring game, and he asked, how can it not be boring to play a game where you're usually not even trying to pocket a ball ?".........Pool players who don't play and don't like One Pocket are always saying One Pocket is boring - because they don't understand the game, or they don't have what it takes, ( brains and patience ) to play it.......Anyway, this was my answer to him......

" Brian, obviously, as my screen name implies, I'm a hard core One Pocket player - but I'm not prejudiced....although I don't, and have no desire, to play straight pool myself, I do think Straight Pool along with One Pocket, are hands down, the two best pool games ( and also 3c billiards ). As to your 'boring question.....

To a hard core One Pocket player, not shooting to pocket a ball in your inning is not boring at all - conversely, searching for and executing a beautiful safety, rearranging the balls in your favor, or sadistically trapping your opponent is extremely interesting and satisfying !....................And as for straight pool being boring, the real reason that straight pool is boring is usually not stated in these debates....to me, it's not the game itself or the shots in straight pool that define the 'boring factor' - it's the fact that if you're playing a decent to excellent player you will have to sit in your chair for 10, 20, 30, minutes at a time while he keeps shooting/running balls - THAT'S what's boring......Conversely, in One Pocket, you are shooting regularly, pretty much every minute or two - that's one very relevant reason why it's NOT boring to play One Pocket - every inning you are constantly involved/engaged in the game."

- Ghost
Ghost, there's nothing more beautiful than shooting the cueball lightly off 2 or 3 balls and locking up your opponent on another object ball. To me that is one of the great beauties of one pocket. Some players can't even see those shots, need I say more?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

Ghost, Don't know if you caught this or not, but here is my reply to your reply to Brian.

Brian, I am replying to you because you seem to take the most offense at my biased views, on where we need to go to resurrect pool in the mainstream. 1 pocket ghost responded quite adequately in my behalf.
Let me just add to his observations.
I love ALL pool games, just like I like almost all kinds of music. (except rap)
I think most will agree, there seems to be two distinct boundaries between 1 pocket/9 ball vs. 14.1. The first boundary is geographical. Once you get West of Ohio, You see very little 14.1, a few die hards, but very few regions that support the game. Also the entire South and all through the Sun Belt, 14.1 is almost unheard of. By the time you reach the West coast, it is a rare sight to even see a game of straight pool, except by East coast transplants.
The second BIG equation is action and gambling. Anyone who thinks that 9/10 ball, or One Pocket have not dominated High $$$$ action for the last 50 years, simply has had his head in the sand.
By all means, if its your favorite game, PLAY IT !
But to think that 14.1 will be a "saviour" of pool, is IMO dilusional.
Thats like me saying 1 pocket will soon "save pool". I am realist and I know that any "resurgence" in the game we all love will only come from an exciting "action driven" game. Sorry to say it won't be 14.1 or one pocket. I will not butt into your "Championship Game" posts again.
(unless of course somebody really gets out of line)

Dick

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost
My reply ie no game is boring.Its a matter of what you like. Like Wine and what we enjoy playing and watching like movies everyone likes different kinds of movies even women. And some movies are boring to us and we turn the channale. But both games are great and all games are great but we choose to play the games we like. But all games are great enen the ones we think are boring. ONE POCKET is nothing more than playing straight pool to 8 balls in one pocket. And it is more complex and more thinking and harder to run out because you only have one pocket. But straight pool has all the pockets but you have to make way more balls to win the game. THe rules are quite similar. You can shoot at any ball and you can keep shooting till you make enough balls to win the game. You are playing straight pool in one pocket. And you can bank balls you can shoot them straight in and you can shoot combinations. And as soon as you miss or dont make a ball your inning is over. And your opponent shoots. And both games you can play safe and manover tell you get a shot to run out. Unless the want to change the rules again. And if you dont make a ball playing straight pool and one pocket. You get cue ball in hand. I alwayes think different I dont no why. Thats just the way my mind workes. And you would see a very interesting game of one pocket and straight pool. If you dont make a ball you get cue ball in hand. It will speed up the game. And take safty out of the game. But the publick will love it and its way better for TV because the publick will understand it better and it will be all offense and the game will go a lot quicker and it will take the defense out of the game. And it will be more exciting to watch and its 100% better for TV and the game will be more interesting.But it wouldnt have helped me when I was hustling pool. It helps the game to speed it up and make it more exciting to the publick. Gentalmen you can do this playing bank pool to and the game will be all shooting and thats what the publick loves OFFENSE and getting cue ball in hand when your opponent misses a bank will make the game more interesting. And will eliminate the defense and the boring style of bunting and playing safe. You have it no use it. And dont be surprised if the start doing this playing banks and one pocket and straight pool. And eight ball and all games it is great for TV and tournaments and the PUBLICK. THats enough for now I dont want to spoil you. GET THE PRESSES ROLING. AND it would even be better for the older players hose cordination and eye sight isnt as good any more. Remember CUEBALL in hand on every game if you dont pocket a ball. I think their should be a lot of response. Lets her your oppinion dont DOG IT. AB AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
My reply ie no game is boring.Its a matter of what you like. Like Wine and what we enjoy playing and watching like movies everyone likes different kinds of movies even women. And some movies are boring to us and we turn the channale. But both games are great and all games are great but we choose to play the games we like. But all games are great enen the ones we think are boring. ONE POCKET is nothing more than playing straight pool to 8 balls in one pocket. And it is more complex and more thinking and harder to run out because you only have one pocket. But straight pool has all the pockets but you have to make way more balls to win the game. THe rules are quite similar. You can shoot at any ball and you can keep shooting till you make enough balls to win the game. You are playing straight pool in one pocket. And you can bank balls you can shoot them straight in and you can shoot combinations. And as soon as you miss or dont make a ball your inning is over. And your opponent shoots. And both games you can play safe and manover tell you get a shot to run out. Unless the want to change the rules again. And if you dont make a ball playing straight pool and one pocket. You get cue ball in hand. I alwayes think different I dont no why. Thats just the way my mind workes. And you would see a very interesting game of one pocket and straight pool. If you dont make a ball you get cue ball in hand. It will speed up the game. And take safty out of the game. But the publick will love it and its way better for TV because the publick will understand it better and it will be all offense and the game will go a lot quicker and it will take the defense out of the game. And it will be more exciting to watch and its 100% better for TV and the game will be more interesting.But it wouldnt have helped me when I was hustling pool. It helps the game to speed it up and make it more exciting to the publick. Gentalmen you can do this playing bank pool to and the game will be all shooting and thats what the publick loves OFFENSE and getting cue ball in hand when your opponent misses a bank will make the game more interesting. And will eliminate the defense and the boring style of bunting and playing safe. You have it no use it. And dont be surprised if the start doing this playing banks and one pocket and straight pool. And eight ball and all games it is great for TV and tournaments and the PUBLICK. THats enough for now I dont want to spoil you. GET THE PRESSES ROLING. AND it would even be better for the older players hose cordination and eye sight isnt as good any more. Remember CUEBALL in hand on every game if you dont pocket a ball. I think their should be a lot of response. Lets her your oppinion dont DOG IT. AB AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE.
I hope the people who make the rules dont read this the might change the rules tomarrow and put me out of buissnes. But it will help all pool games weather you belive it or not.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I hope the people who make the rules dont read this the might change the rules tomarrow and put me out of buissnes. But it will help all pool games weather you belive it or not.
BORING WILL BE TAKEN OUT OF ALL GAMES.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Players that say 14.1 or One Pocket are boring, just don't understand either game. They are ignorant of the skill and fun you can have playing these two games.

Anyone that says that they are 'bored' is admitting that they don't have anything interesting happening to them or around them.

I like the fact that 24-32 players show up for my One Pocket event every first Saturday of the month. This is very exciting.

Any day of the week you can walk into the back room and find One Pocket being playerd.

2 out of 5 big money matches played are One Pocket.

One Pocket is not boring and it is very well respected.

I feel very lucky to be so close to all this.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I always liked straight pool -- until I began to run into players that could keep me in my chair while they seemed to run 50+ balls every inning (well, it seemed like it). Like The Ghost said, One Pocket is consistently way more engaging than straight pool (unless of course you are the player hogging the table :) )

I also like Bank Pool, because its another game in which the innings are generally short.

And three-cushion billiards for the same reason. Also, like One Pocket, three-cushion really gives your imagination a workout!!

(okay, I guess I have revealed that I have a short attention span :D )

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
I always liked straight pool -- until I began to run into players that could keep me in my chair while they seemed to run 50+ balls every inning (well, it seemed like it). Like The Ghost said, One Pocket is consistently way more engaging than straight pool (unless of course you are the player hogging the table :) )

I also like Bank Pool, because its another game in which the innings are generally short.

And three-cushion billiards for the same reason. Also, like One Pocket, three-cushion really gives your imagination a workout!!

(okay, I guess I have revealed that I have a short attention span :D )
I guess thier are no rsponses to cue ball in hand on all games when the player doesant make a ball. But it will get their sooner or later because it gives both players a chance to shoot and run out and that is what the public loves. And you can run eight and out or 150 and out or run out playing nine ball or eight ball. I guess nobody likes it that way. The like the old way better. Thats ok but I didnt think that everyone would clam up.

Shortstop

Verified Member
From
Chisqztown
NO Game Is BOING

NO Game Is BOING

I Agree With Artie..There Are No Boring Games, In Pool Or Billiards..The Ghost Said,In Straight Pool It Is Boring To Sit & Wait For Your Next Shot & I Think We Will All Agree,sitting Is No Fun..When Your Opponent Is Running 50+....Anyways,This Is My First Post On The Org..I Read New Posts Daily..I Have Been Playing Pool & Billiards For Over 40 Years...I Have Seen Play Artie At Howard Paulina,In Chicago (Artie,Did You Ever Plat Boston Shorty There??)..I Love,All The Games..In Order,I Enjoy 3-Cushion-One Pocket-Banks-Eight Ball-Straight Pool,Then Nine Ball..I Am Probably a, B To C Player...I Loved Being A Lurker,And Am Glad To Contribute!!

Skin

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I guess thier are no rsponses to cue ball in hand on all games when the player doesant make a ball. But it will get their sooner or later because it gives both players a chance to shoot and run out and that is what the public loves. And you can run eight and out or 150 and out or run out playing nine ball or eight ball. I guess nobody likes it that way. The like the old way better. Thats ok but I didnt think that everyone would clam up.

To really have chance to capture the public, you need a game where both players are at the table at the same time, mano-a-mano. But even that probably wouldn't do it.

Problem is - almost nobody has an interest in how spheres roll, especially if you don't have to be in shape to make them do it. Nobody wants to watch other people doing stuff that doesn't take incredible athletic ability, unless it is cooking. :)

Skin

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Shortstop said:
I Agree With Artie..There Are No Boring Games, In Pool Or Billiards..The Ghost Said,In Straight Pool It Is Boring To Sit & Wait For Your Next Shot & I Think We Will All Agree,sitting Is No Fun..When Your Opponent Is Running 50+....Anyways,This Is My First Post On The Org..I Read New Posts Daily..I Have Been Playing Pool & Billiards For Over 40 Years...I Have Seen Play Artie At Howard Paulina,In Chicago (Artie,Did You Ever Plat Boston Shorty There??)..I Love,All The Games..In Order,I Enjoy 3-Cushion-One Pocket-Banks-Eight Ball-Straight Pool,Then Nine Ball..I Am Probably a, B To C Player...I Loved Being A Lurker,And Am Glad To Contribute!!
Well its great that you responded I felt a little abandoned but now I see their is life. And I never played Boston Shorty at Howard and Paulina But their was alot of action up their and their was mone their to. And the had a great Italian Restaurant right down stairs and a dinner across the street. And a bowling Alley and pool tabales on howard street. And all you had to do was take the howard street Aile. And the had another pool room on clark street a couple of blocks south of howard street. And their was real big action their at one time with the owner. And Bob Rosenburg loved to gamble at howard and Paulina. And I dont remember a lot of the names from back then. But I remember Charly Kimbal And Milwakee LOuie use to come up their and play straight pool. But their wasant a lot of one pocketaction. And you even had the campus room not to far from Howared and Paulina. THats were Ray mapales had a heart attack and died. And from Howared and Paulina we would go to All Star bowling Alley and play pool all night. And their was good card action. Its great to be reminded were we came from. And that always brings back a lot of memories. Keep contributing it will bring up new Ideas and someone will enjoy it and learn. I havant herd one opinion yet about cue ball in hand on all pool games if you dont make a ball? KEEP PITCHING SHORT STOP. YOU WILL PITCH A NO HITTER THATS BETTER THEN THE CUBS AND THE SOX.

Shortstop

Verified Member
From
Chisqztown
Back To One Pocket,Not Being Boring!!

Back To One Pocket,Not Being Boring!!

I Have Played,Sat & Watched One Pocket For Many Years..Lately,I have Studied,The Better One Pocket Players,As To Their Shot & Safety Selections..The Game IS A Study In Perfection!!...Missing Shots!!..Not Calculating Angles & Scratching!!..Not Focusing!!..For The Average Sweater,This May Be A Boring Game!!...For The Players,Quite The Opposite!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Artie, I never had much of a chance in the "all offense" games. Even straight pool I played more than my share of safeties. I hated ring games because with those, there was never any advantage to playing a safe. Give me the games that you can mix safety play into the game...

Look at sports. How much less interesting to watch baseball, football, basketball or hockey if defense wasn't part of the game? Some teams are built more on tough defense, and some built more on offense -- just like pool players :)

Shortstop

Verified Member
From
Chisqztown
Charlie Kimell..Cue Ball,In Hand..One Pocket,Not Boring

Charlie Kimell..Cue Ball,In Hand..One Pocket,Not Boring

Artie..Besides You...Charlie Kimmel Was One Of My Most Memorable Players At Howard & Paulina..I Remember Him,As,A Very Classy,Well Dressed Gentleman,Who Plated A Descent Game Or Straight Pool!..& Going To All-Star,For Spencer & Eddiie Chaet..Was A Challange!!..As For Ball In Hand,In One Pocket..That Would Be Interesting!!..We Used To Play 9-Ball Tournaments,At Chris`s In Chicago..Ball In Hand After A Miss, I Believe, It Gave The Inferior Player An Edge...Which Do You Believe Would Be True,In One Pocket..Like Chess,Not A Boring Game!!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Artie Bodendorfer said:
And I never played Boston Shorty at Howard and Paulina But their was alot of action up their and their was mone their to. And the had another pool room on clark street a couple of blocks south of howard street. And their was real big action their at one time with the owner. And you even had the campus room not to far from Howared and Paulina.

And let's not forget, a little ways further south, past the Campus Room, we had the House of Lords, good action there with Lefty Charlie - may he rest in peace.

- Ghost

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Shortstop said:
Artie..Besides You...Charlie Kimmel Was One Of My Most Memorable Players At Howard & Paulina..I Remember Him,As,A Very Classy,Well Dressed Gentleman,Who Plated A Descent Game Or Straight Pool!..& Going To All-Star,For Spencer & Eddiie Chaet..Was A Challange!!..As For Ball In Hand,In One Pocket..That Would Be Interesting!!..We Used To Play 9-Ball Tournaments,At Chris`s In Chicago..Ball In Hand After A Miss, I Believe, It Gave The Inferior Player An Edge...Which Do You Believe Would Be True,In One Pocket..Like Chess,Not A Boring Game!!
One pocket is my favorite game in pool . And I took it to a higher level than anyone. But I love all pool games. Espicaly the games I bet and win at. Just like when people ask me who is my favorite basball or football team and my favorite team is WHOEVER I BET ON. THats my favorite team or game. Maybe you can make a game were if the dont make a ball you get cue ball in hand. But dont play straight pool that way because you mite not win. But playing one pocket I think you can beat the best player in the world that way. And you dont even have to run eight and out.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
boring?

boring?

NH Steve said:
Artie, I never had much of a chance in the "all offense" games. Even straight pool I played more than my share of safeties. I hated ring games because with those, there was never any advantage to playing a safe. Give me the games that you can mix safety play into the game...

Look at sports. How much less interesting to watch baseball, football, basketball or hockey if defense wasn't part of the game? Some teams are built more on tough defense, and some built more on offense -- just like pool players :)

One pocket can be a boring game if you are watching two people who don't know how to play the game properly. It's just two people bumping balls off the rail or pocketing balls in one of the far pockets with no strategy in mind.

When I first started watching one pocket I admit I was somewhat bored because I didn't know what was going on. But it didn't take long before I saw Cliff, Buddy, Efren, Shannon etc. play the game properly and my mind started to click that these guys were doing things that took extraordinary skill. And from that point forward, which has only been about 4 years ago, I have become mesmerized by this game.

I think the other factor to consider is time involved. Not everyone can play pool for 4 or 5 hours at a time. If you know what I mean. That's why 8 ball and 9 ball dominate. Also, not everyone wants to concentrate at the level needed to play good one pocket. It's not that they are dumb. It's just that they are somewhat lazy and would rather play a game that doesn't require much thought. And that's not bad. But for me, I love to think. I think all of the time. And I think about everything. And when I think about one pocket I say "damn, this game requires a lot of concentration, thought analysis, preparation, execution, style, and on and on. HOW CAN THAT BE BORING? Tiring maybe, but not boring. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

george

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:

Artie, I think the reason there are very few responses is because your idea is such a radical change from how we all learned to play ALL GAMES.
I myself, like offense oriented games. But you might be onto something. It would certainly be more entertaining. It will just require a completely different mindset for ALL games. The young guys might really like it. Who knows, we are certainly not getting anywhere with our current rules. Maybe it is time to try something new. It certainly would stimulate action. :eek:

Dick

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gbru said:
One pocket can be a boring game if you are watching two people who don't know how to play the game properly. It's just two people bumping balls off the rail or pocketing balls in one of the far pockets with no strategy in mind.

When I first started watching one pocket I admit I was somewhat bored because I didn't know what was going on. But it didn't take long before I saw Cliff, Buddy, Efren, Shannon etc. play the game properly and my mind started to click that these guys were doing things that took extraordinary skill. And from that point forward, which has only been about 4 years ago, I have become mesmerized by this game.

I think the other factor to consider is time involved. Not everyone can play pool for 4 or 5 hours at a time. If you know what I mean. That's why 8 ball and 9 ball dominate. Also, not everyone wants to concentrate at the level needed to play good one pocket. It's not that they are dumb. It's just that they are somewhat lazy and would rather play a game that doesn't require much thought. And that's not bad. But for me, I love to think. I think all of the time. And I think about everything. And when I think about one pocket I say "damn, this game requires a lot of concentration, thought analysis, preparation, execution, style, and on and on. HOW CAN THAT BE BORING? Tiring maybe, but not boring. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

george
The reason I said cue ball in hand in one pocket if the player doesnt make a ball. Is because the are not going to put a championship game on TV taking 4 or 5 ouers. And one pocket will not get the exposier of nineball. And if you want to make onepocket a populare game like nine ball you have to speed the game up. the are not going to show a one pocket ession 4 out of 7 that takes 6 or 7 houers to play. the only way to speed up the game of one pocket and make it faster and more populare is to use the rule if you dont make a ball your opponent gets cue ball in hand. Because all the public will no if the are watching a game of one pocket is that one player has one pocket and the other player has the other pocket. And its playing one pocket straight pool. And people will not understand the safties and the super trap moves. And the will lose interest and turn the channal. Because the publick enjoys offense and shooting great shoots. Just like the trick shoots it fasanates them. I like the real game of one pocket and safties and moves. But Tv will not go for that. And that is the game the should have played in the move the hustler. Because one pocket is the real hustlers game. But the public never realized howe long it takes for a game of straight pool. And thats why the only showed a few shots. And the could have done the same thing with one pocket. And showed the real game of one pocket.But its tier movie and their show. The can speed up all the games with cueball in hand if the dont make a ball. AND like I said you mite see that used further down the line. And you can bring one pocket back to life. And the can have more tournaments too. And bank pool the rule will even work better especialy with 15 balls. And nine balls it will be all shooting. And it will be a big winner on TV. BUt thats my Idea and the might not be ready for it yet. But you will see it.