Jersey red baseball player?

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Jersey Red once told me when I was about 16 years old he had tried out for the Yankees or some pro team back in the fifties I believe if my memory serves me correctly. Is anybody that old that might know about this. Him being a southpaw he was taylor made for first base and looked like he had a little power! Rodney Stevens or Tall Jeff might would know being they are older than me, LAUGHING, had to throw that in there. LOL.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jersey Red once told me when I was about 16 years old he had tried out for the Yankees or some pro team back in the fifties I believe if my memory serves me correctly. Is anybody that old that might know about this. Him being a southpaw he was taylor made for first base and looked like he had a little power! Rodney Stevens or Tall Jeff might would know being they are older than me, LAUGHING, had to throw that in there. LOL.
Yep,

I heard that also Keith, and you can be sure it was for real if Red told it to you, outside of matching up a game, Red was a truthful guy IMO. I know he was very knowledgeable about baseball and horses and of course all pool games.

I heard him argue wit a guy one time over who was the better centerfielder, DiMaggio or Mays. They went back and forth about individual strengths and skills, then the guy says to Red, "Well what about the catch Mays made running full speed and catching it over his shoulder!"

Red said, "DiMaggio woulda been standing under it, waiting for it to come down."
Then he gave the guy his patented Red Raider chuckle.

That pretty much ended the debate!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Yep,

I heard that also Keith, and you can be sure it was for real if Red told it to you, outside of matching up a game, Red was a truthful guy IMO. I know he was very knowledgeable about baseball and horses and of course all pool games.

I heard him argue wit a guy one time over who was the better centerfielder, DiMaggio or Mays. They went back and forth about individual strengths and skills, then the guy says to Red, "Well what about the catch Mays made running full speed and catching it over his shoulder!"

Red said, "DiMaggio woulda been standing under it, waiting for it to come down."
Then he gave the guy his patented Red Raider chuckle.

That pretty much ended the debate!

stuff like this is priceless..:)
jeff
i live in vero beach fl
if you are near me let me buy you (and a significant other_:D)dinner and drinks...:)
larry
pm me if you are coming my way
p.s im a yankee fan...:)

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
jeff
i live in vero beach fl
if you are near me let me buy you (and a significant other_:D)dinner and drinks...:)
larry

We'll make it a 'triple play' Larry! Jeff, I'm in Cocoa Beach, FL. about 60 miles North of Larry!

Keith and your stories are priceless to 'me!'

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Jersey red

Jersey red

Hello Jeff, I believe I was there when Red told that story at LeCue, man was he entertaining, LOL. And Grady Mathews thrown in there and there was a great evening of entertainment. Grady with his long words like heretofore and notwithstanding he should have been a comic, especially if some one had just busted him. He would be so depressed thought he was gonna commit harry cary, lol. He would moan for days and say some of the funniest sh-t I've ever heard. God bless him, wish they both were still here. I would be the first in line to buy a ticket if they were performing!

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
jeff
i live in vero beach fl
larry

My son ( J.J. Sparks ) went to spring training with the Yankees, I think it was 2001, not sure. He was a relief pitcher the previous year with the Rays ( then the Devil Rays) and he got a save against the Yankees that year, struck out Bernie Williams to end the game.

I've been to Vero many times, my wife's parents retired there. Spring training home to the Dodgers, or at least it used to be, not sure about now. I have friends in and around that area and if I get over sometime I'd be happy to share stories with you over a cold one.

Thanks for the hospitality, if you make it to Houston, we might be able to round up Keith and Rodney, they both live here and they would definitely add a lot to the conversation.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I don't know anything about Jersey Red and baseball, but I do know that George Jansco was a pretty good career minor leaguer. He never made it to the majors but he was a solid minor leaguer for about ten years, before he settled down and raised a family in Johnston City.

Danny Di Liberto had some minor league baseball experience too. He is alive to ask, fortunately.