Waht happened to Bugs?

DWS

Verified Member
From
Chicago
Does anyone know the whereabouts of Leonard "Chicago Bugs" Rucker? Haven't heard anything about him in a long time. Is he still in Chicago?

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Last I heard, "Bugs" had quit playing pool because of his poor health.
I also heard that he had passed on, a few years back, but have not had anyone verfiy this rumor.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
SactownTom said:
Last I heard, "Bugs" had quit playing pool because of his poor health.
I also heard that he had passed on, a few years back, but have not had anyone verfiy this rumor.
I'm pretty sure he is still hanging in there, but dealing with complications from diabetes...

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
NH Steve said:
I'm pretty sure he is still hanging in there, but dealing with complications from diabetes...
You are right, Steve. Leonard "Bugs" Rucker is still with us and living in Chicago. Yes, he is in very bad physical condition. He is diabetic and won't take his insulin as he should. Very hard for him to get around any more. I certainly wish him the best. His 3 volume Banks video was shot at the Shorewood Pool room I use to frequent. We watched it being made. Bugs was warming up by putting a ball on the spot and the cue ball behind the line and firing the bank in the side, one rail. He missed the first shot and then made 8 in a row.

PQQLK9

From
Charlotte,NC
NH Steve said:

I played some One-Pocket with Ike Runnels when he was passing through Charlotte after the US Open and when I asked about Bugs he said the exact same thing.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
hemicudas said:
Bugs was warming up by putting a ball on the spot and the cue ball behind the line and firing the bank in the side, one rail. He missed the first shot and then made 8 in a row.

Hemi-- I gots to know: were you referring to the head spot or the foot spot; and was it a cross-side or cross-corner shot? Please tell me he wasn't firing a bank from the foot spot to the bottom rail into the side pocket!!

Will need sleeping pills until I hear--

Doc

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
gulfportdoc said:
Hemi-- I gots to know: were you referring to the head spot or the foot spot; and was it a cross-side or cross-corner shot? Please tell me he wasn't firing a bank from the foot spot to the bottom rail into the side pocket!!

Doc[/QUOTE

Foot spot, Doc. CB behind the head string. In other words, straight back bank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IN THE SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea, Doc, I said the same thing.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Bugs in California

Bugs in California

Bugs came to California around 10 years ago & stopped by Hard Times in Bellflower. We didn't know who he was and "Little" Al Romero, a solid all around player for many years who has a cue shop in Hard Times, played him a game of one pocket for $500. Bugs won the coin flip and put down a break no one could get out of. Al took three scratches before he could make a legal safe. By the time Bugs won the game, we all knew who he was. Al shot his whole bankroll with the $500 & I asked him why he bet it all on one game. He said "It was all I was going to lose anyway and what if the guy was a sucker". The room got up some more money and Al played some more for $300 a game getting 9 to 7 and lost a few more games. Bugs never came back and I never heard of him being in any other action in town. Bad luck for Al, but there was so much other action going on at that time, mostly liability snooker on the 6 x 12, that anybody could have gotten played at that time at Hard Times.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
No "Golf" in Chicago

No "Golf" in Chicago

jrhendy said:
Bugs came to California around 10 years ago & stopped by Hard Times in Bellflower. We didn't know who he was and "Little" Al Romero, a solid all around player for many years who has a cue shop in Hard Times, played him a game of one pocket for $500. Bugs won the coin flip and put down a break no one could get out of. Al took three scratches before he could make a legal safe. By the time Bugs won the game, we all knew who he was. Al shot his whole bankroll with the $500 & I asked him why he bet it all on one game. He said "It was all I was going to lose anyway and what if the guy was a sucker". The room got up some more money and Al played some more for $300 a game getting 9 to 7 and lost a few more games. Bugs never came back and I never heard of him being in any other action in town. Bad luck for Al, but there was so much other action going on at that time, mostly liability snooker on the 6 x 12, that anybody could have gotten played at that time at Hard Times.
John, the only golf game i ever saw in Chicago, I initiated on the 5X10 snooker table at my local room with some other shortstops. It didn't catch on.

As big a game as golf was in some parts of the country it has to be a shame that Bugs never got into that game. He might have been unbeatable. I knew Bugs before I moved to Chicago in 1979. He busted all 6-8 one pocket players in Jackson around 1975. The most money he won was off a guy he ended up giving 15 to 4. The guy just couldn't believe anyone on earth could give him that much weight. No,,,,,, it wasn't me. Bugs was and is a gentleman. A true pleasure to watch.

Rod

Verified Member
From
Phoenix, Az
hemicudas said:
John, the only golf game i ever saw in Chicago, I initiated on the 5X10 snooker table at my local room with some other shortstops. It didn't catch on.

Bill, a 5X10 table is a little small for golf. It starts becoming a run out game. A 6X12 makes a far better game. Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference or maybe they just didn't like the game. If there's a lack of snooker tables that would make a difference too.

I remember Golf use to be fairly popular in parts of the middle states. It's kind of like 1P in a way, the one with the most moves and c/b control is subject to win.

Rod

piggybank04

Verified Member
hemicudas said:
gulfportdoc said:

Doc[/QUOTE

Foot spot, Doc. CB behind the head string. In other words, straight back bank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IN THE SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea, Doc, I said the same thing.
that bank is tough to make 50% of the time....let alone 8 in a row!!!!!!

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Rod said:
Bill, a 5X10 table is a little small for golf. It starts becoming a run out game. A 6X12 makes a far better game. Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference or maybe they just didn't like the game. If there's a lack of snooker tables that would make a difference too.

I remember Golf use to be fairly popular in parts of the middle states. It's kind of like 1P in a way, the one with the most moves and c/b control is subject to win.

Rod
Rod, I emphasized the 5X10 for just that reason. We didn't have a 6X12 in all the Joliet area, where I lived.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
piggybank04 said:
that bank is tough to make 50% of the time....let alone 8 in a row!!!!!!
If you are Glen, you would know. Assuming you are right and it is a 50/50 shot, for a player of your or Bugs speed -15 to 20 years. It is like flipping a coin or passing at the craps table. If you are talking about getting up out of your chair and betting even money on the shot, one time, I agree with you. Again, if you are Glen, try this. Shoot the shot until you make it and keep shooting it until you miss. As well as you bank, I think you will find out that you have much better odds than 50/50 the more you stay down and shoot the shot. At least that is the impression I got from Bugs missing the first shot, then finding the range and consistant stroke to make it again and again before missing.

piggybank04

Verified Member
hemicudas said:
If you are Glen, you would know. Assuming you are right and it is a 50/50 shot, for a player of your or Bugs speed -15 to 20 years. It is like flipping a coin or passing at the craps table. If you are talking about getting up out of your chair and betting even money on the shot, one time, I agree with you. Again, if you are Glen, try this. Shoot the shot until you make it and keep shooting it until you miss. As well as you bank, I think you will find out that you have much better odds than 50/50 the more you stay down and shoot the shot. At least that is the impression I got from Bugs missing the first shot, then finding the range and consistant stroke to make it again and again before missing.
Yes, I agree that if you have good fundamentals that pretty much any shot can be made consistently.Alot of talent doesnt hurt either......and no,i am not Glen but i bank pretty good....one observation i can make is that bank is much easier to judge when ob is close to rail......im going to practice that bugs shot and see if i can beat 8 in a row.wish me luck,i think im going to need it!!! see ya

opposedtwin

Verified Member
From
Tennessee
Bugs side pocket bank shot

Bugs side pocket bank shot

Hemi-Reading your comment about Bugs bank shot in the side reminded me of a bank shot Vernon Elliott used to shoot. He places the object ball immediately before the side pocket frozen against the rail and places the cue ball on the same rail and cross banks the OB into the opposite side pocket. No, he don't make it 8 times in a row but I have seen him bank it "short" of the side pocket. I have never seen anyone else come closer than 3 inches!
Doug