Back in the "Good Ole Days" it seemed so simple!

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Someone sent this you tube link to me. I thought it to be very poignant, with the status of the pool/billiard industry in this country today!

BTW, notice the GC 3 Cushion table in the opening billiard room scene!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3g0n2XP3IA[/ame]

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
Bill,

Very touching. Particularly all the small storefront mom and pop stores.

All gone because of Wallmart and others like them. A result of the pursuit of the dollar instead of the quality of life.

Pool and life in general were great in the late 50's and the early 60's. Everything was simple and lots of people played 100 dollar (1000 in todays' dollars) 9 ball. What more could you ask for?

Thank for the trip down memory lane.

Bill S.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Someone sent this you tube link to me. I thought it to be very poignant, with the status of the pool/billiard industry in this country today!

BTW, notice the GC 3 Cushion table in the opening billiard room scene!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3g0n2XP3IA

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

sign me up. that is really neat. people just really used to take pride. thanks for sharing that.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Great post. I played at the Cue and Cushion in the Roosevelt Mall on Cottman St. in Phila. in the mid 60's. Those were the days. White GoldCrowns with a gold cloth and ashtrays. It looked similar to the pool room shown. Classy family kind of place. Some good shooters. Mostly bangers. Doc Fry and Miz would stop in occasionally. The Cue and Cushion and GoldCrowns always left an impression. The one shown is my current set up. Timeless beauty. Sadly the table quality is not the same.

Attachments

• GoldCrown.jpg
    GoldCrown.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 0

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Great post. I played at the Cue and Cushion in the Roosevelt Mall on Cottman St. in Phila. in the mid 60's. Those were the days. White GoldCrowns with a gold cloth and ashtrays. It looked similar to the pool room shown. Classy family kind of place. Some good shooters. Mostly bangers. Doc Fry and Miz would stop in occasionally. The Cue and Cushion and GoldCrowns always left an impression. The one shown is my current set up. Timeless beauty. Sadly the table quality is not the same.

I live 5 minutes from there.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Did you remember the Cue. Did you know Walt the houseman

There was a hall downstairs in the back of the mall but not sure the name. No clue on Walt. It was likely after his time. (It was late 80's when I started going, and it was mostly country club Billiards, or valley Billiards)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

nice room you have there goldcrown..:D
especially like how you can take a shot while in the chair...:eek:...:heh

GoldCrown

Verified Member
nice room you have there goldcrown..:D
especially like how you can take a shot while in the chair...:eek:...:heh

Nothing but the best. JTS Brown. Would you believe I had to buy a case to get one bottle. About $8.90 per bottle...shipping and tax included. I would drink Sterno before I drank that rot gut:lol:lol

Last edited:

stedyfred

Verified Member
In the 70's the pool room in Cottman Ave. shop ctr was run by a white haired gentleman (front of shop ctr.). The room that opened later in back of same shop ctr was owned yrs ago by Robby Riehs and one of the people working there was Walt as well as Clancy. For action The Blvd. was the place to go at that time in Phila. (owned by Mike Fusco).

GoldCrown

Verified Member
In the 70's the pool room in Cottman Ave. shop ctr was run by a white haired gentleman (front of shop ctr.). The room that opened later in back of same shop ctr was owned yrs ago by Robby Riehs and one of the people working there was Walt as well as Clancy. For action The Blvd. was the place to go at that time in Phila. (owned by Mike Fusco).
Old man Charlie was one of the house guys. He always looked 100yo. He did trick shots. No idea if could really play. Walt was good. Mike Fusco came in to play Walt here and there before he bought Blvd. Cue maker Doc Fry made a police officer an ebony night stick with stainless rings. Beautiful. When I get my lathe fine tuned and know what the heck I'm during I'm going to try to make one.
The people that owned C&C had 3 rooms going. Cottman St, Cheltenham Ave and I think somewhere in S. Phila. Those were the nicest pool rooms in the city at that time. They also owned bowling alleys and the restaurants. They did things right.
The problem with the Roosevelt Mall was....your car might be there when you came out of the pool room or stores in that shopping center.
Blvd had the imitation Gold Crowns. AMF's?
I do miss the Rich cue I bought from the Cue for about $35-$40. Should have kept it. I still have the burn marks on my thighs from the lit cigarettes in the GC ashtrays. Good old days. About $1.00 an hour table time. Smokes were $.25 and gas was about $.25-$.27 cents a gal. Played Odd Ball for .25 a way. 9ball for a buck a game(wow). There were a few 1 pocket players....sorry I did not get the hang of it then. But it's never too late to learn(anything)

Last edited:

stedyfred

Verified Member
I left Phila. in 1987 and don't really like to make this post, however, I have read the comments on here ref Phila. rooms as well as now on AZ ref Tacony Palmyra Bliiiards. Cue and Cushion was a nice , clean room (very clean) with very little activity (action). The thread on az ref Tacony refers to many of the Blvd. players that eventually went to Tacony but they all played regularly in the Blvd. for many years. When Phila. pool is discussed during the 1970's and 80's the conversation should center around the Blvd owned by Mike Fusco. S. Phila. Billiards, Chiefy's, Mosconi's at 20th and Oregon , Cheltenham Ave room, room at 15th street downtown , & the Welsh Rd room were all good but nothing like The Blvd for action which was open 24/7 .

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I left Phila. in 1987 and don't really like to make this post, however, I have read the comments on here ref Phila. rooms as well as now on AZ ref Tacony Palmyra Bliiiards. Cue and Cushion was a nice , clean room (very clean) with very little activity (action). The thread on az ref Tacony refers to many of the Blvd. players that eventually went to Tacony but they all played regularly in the Blvd. for many years. When Phila. pool is discussed during the 1970's and 80's the conversation should center around the Blvd owned by Mike Fusco. S. Phila. Billiards, Chiefy's, Mosconi's at 20th and Oregon , Cheltenham Ave room, room at 15th street downtown , & the Welsh Rd room were all good but nothing like The Blvd for action which was open 24/7 .

I'm sure your right. Those years were before my time.