3 Cushion billiards and One Pocket

loveshiscue

Verified Member
From
Miami, Fl
New pool room is fixing to open in Miami very soon. Doral Billiards. I was in there during lunch time the other day and while construction continues on the bar area, permits and what not the 6 heated 3 cushion tables are on and hosting constant play during most of the afternoon. There are multiple owners and they are all friendly guys who were eager to show me around their really sweet establishment.

I don't know much about 3 cushion but right away I began thinking about how this game had alot that could be applied towards one pocket. Kicking of course, especially learning accuracy on the three rail kick towards a corner to maximize getting behind balls, but also other things like learning to kick with position and learning the way you can shoot a carom off a ball and angles that balls move off of each other.

Are there many great one pocket players that also play(ed) 3 cushion? Through accustats I know that Boston Shorty played jamup 3 cushion. The owner of this new room in Miami said to me that the tournament match I have (Larry Johnson d. Sang Lee 1989 NYC) took place in his old pool room.

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Boston Shorty is definately the best combo of one pocket and three cushion I can think of, with the possible exception of Efren. Worst and Mosconi were excellent three cushion players but one pocket was not their favorite game.
Grady has stories of gambling at three cushion and running a 9 or something, which indicates a pretty good understanding of the game. David Matlock is a very strong three cushion player (for a pool player) in addition to being a great banker, bar box legend. I think I heard a story somewhere that Sang Lee gave Billy Incardona 20 or 30 going to 50 and Billy was almost insulted by the spot...until Sang beat him.

If I had new, heated tables to play three cushion on I might not even play one pocket for awhile. Buy yourself Byrnes' books and try out all the spin shots before the cloth gets too slow.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
gulfportdoc said:
3C has something else in common with one-pocket: You can play it for a lifetime, and never see all the shots.

Doc
And another thing in common -- the creativity factor. In One Pocket and 3C you have so much more opportunity to use your imagination than most games.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Sang Lee

Sang Lee

BUD GREEN said:
...I think I heard a story somewhere that Sang Lee gave Billy Incardona 20 or 30 going to 50 and Billy was almost insulted by the spot...until Sang beat him.

It was at Chris's Billiards. The spot was 35 on 50. Billy got about 6. He gave Jeff Carter 40 and Jeff got 4.

the Beard

chief

Verified Member
I also played Sang Lee at Chris's that same summer,and also used to play with Boston Shorty quite a bit about 20 years ago,and that shorty vs lee match was at Abels in Queens NY,I was thier that weekend it was justafter Shorty's cancer kicked in and he hadnt even played any 3c that whole year.

loveshiscue

Verified Member
From
Miami, Fl
BUD GREEN said:
If I had new, heated tables to play three cushion on I might not even play one pocket for awhile. Buy yourself Byrnes' books and try out all the spin shots before the cloth gets too slow.

I have the Robin's book "Position Play in 3 cushion Billiards" (i think thats the title). Unusual book in that its written in three or is it four languages. I honestly havent read it but for a bit and that was a while ago. Maybe since I have access to decent tables now I will have to check that book out some more. Byrne has a 3 cushion book or is that the original book on Pool and Billiards you are referring to? My original dog earred copy of Byrnes Standard Book made legs out of my apt when I was in college during a party at my place and I havent replaced it yet.

loveshiscue

Verified Member
From
Miami, Fl
The guys at this new pool hall were talking about Boston Shorty. They said he was a pretty gruff guy and that matching up with him at anything was rough business. One told me that Boston Shorty played a 3c tournament where he avgd more than 2 or 3 per inning for the entire tournament.

Last edited:

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
loveshiscue said:
The guys at this new pool hall were talking about Boston Shorty. They said he was a pretty gruff guy and that matching up with him at anything was rough business. One told me that Boston Shorty played a 3c tournament where he avgd more than 2 or 3 per inning for the entire tournament and that he had really short inning tournament match of like 4 or 5 going to 40 I think they said. Sounds unbelievable to me as I type this, so maybe I misunderstood and I am way off on the numbers .

Check this site out if your getting into 3C www.caromcafe.com they have a bunch of GREAT matches to watch for free!....I just watched Blomdahl (sp) go 12 innings to 40 points, and the frigging trick show highlites are AMAZING.

Gerry

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Robins book on three cushion is a bit complicated for new players. Players should definitely learn to score points before trying to score AND play position at the same time. You end up missing too many shots that way. Even the best players in the world mostly try position play on shots they consider fairly easy.

Byrnes Standard and Advanced books on pool and billiards contain everything you need to know for the first year or two unless you're a fanatic or systems guy. Walt Harris has books on systems, Sid Banner just came out with one, and Darrel Martineau has a complicated set of systems in his books. 99% of the shots you need to know are in Byrnes books; he also gives pointers for avoiding kisses, position play,etc...You can find Byrnes' stuff everywhere; libraries, used stores,etc... for cheap.

Once you can visualize a shot, time and practice will help you learn how to properly shoot it. His books have excellent diagrams so you can see exactly what kind of cue ball action is going on.

Anyone with lots of money and a desire to learn can go to kozoom.com and spend 90-100 bucks for the Frederic Caudron dvds on straight rail, three cushion, position play. Supposed to be great dvds but hard to pay 100 bucks for 2 dvds coming from France. There are also artistic billiard dvds on that site.

scotttheshooter

Verified Member
From
Phoenix Area
Scarcity of 3 Cushion Tables...

Scarcity of 3 Cushion Tables...

As a young man - it seemed like there were a lot more 3 cushion tables around than there are now. Even back then - they rarely got any use unless we jumped on them messed around. We had a 4 1/2 x 9 table in our room and I did get to see Richie Florence, Ronnie Allen and a few other notables play a little 3 cushion from time to time.

Even the most basic 3 cushion skills will great enhance your 1P game.

**** With no 3C tables around - I purchased a second cue ball and just started practicing with it on the pool table........my safety and kicking game got stronger IMMEDIATELY !! :D