Smartest Onepocket Player In Life

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
scrzbill
i have a question
do you still think efren is the smartest or the most talented or both??
just askin

Over his career, which thank fully isn't over, yes to both. The backers of Efren, I wish I were one, would gladly put him in against anyone heads up. I know a few years ago in Cliff Joyner in his prime still played Efren 9-8. 8-7. 2003.
I love to watch any of the greats to play. Not everyone makes trips out west and Efren was one who came to the Reno tournaments every year. When playing Strickland in one match, I learned a shot from watching him.
Efren 9-2.
Call me crazy but I feel honored to watch and be around some of the sports giants of our era. In Louisville when Cassius Clay was going to school at Central. Went to college a few miles from Johnston City. Played a school teacher who came to the school on his way to Johnston City and watched him in a beer commercial. In Miami when the Czonk knocked everyone to the ground. In Louisville when Artis Gilmore was with the pro basketball team and got to see the Dr make one of his famous dunks from the top of the key. The Oakland A's championships and the 1989 earthquake city. Five super bowl championships in SF and Efren. Last year my wife and I had tickets to the World Series opener which the Giants won. The jets flew over just as Tony Bennett finished the SBB. He sang, I left my Heart in SF and it sounded exactly like thirty years ago. What more could you want out of life if you like sports and pool. Oh yeah, worked at Churchill downs. What was your question? I'm getting all weepie as I take my pain medication.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Doesn't the combination of "pocket speed" and "John Brumback" create a bit of an oxymoron? :D:D

(not to be confused with the kind of names certain posters call other posters)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymoron

I like One Ball One Pocket myself -- what about a little mini-tournament at DCC? Think there would be an interest?

I'll play. Throw in fifty and round robin?:eek::eek::eek:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I like One Ball One Pocket myself -- what about a little mini-tournament at DCC? Think there would be an interest?

No interest from me - I don't like it much - It can be too tedious and too one-dimensional...

My favorite part of One Pocket is the early game - gotta love it: all the great moves to choose from, torturing your opponent, and always looking for that killer power shot to buckle his knees..:)...:cool:

- Ghost

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Doesn't the combination of "pocket speed" and "John Brumback" create a bit of an oxymoron? :D:D

(not to be confused with the kind of names certain posters call other posters)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymoron

it looks like you and me Steve. Want to raise the bet? To $51?

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I remember recording a bit of a stream.. I think it was some action going on between 2 guys I think were out of the tournament (well, I know one was:))but they were off on a table playing some oneball onepocket. I personally, don't remember seeing it played much. Memory's a little hazy back then, could very well have been played some, but it just isn't registering.

Anyways it's Dippy and another guy.. I forgot who, but he was the favorite to win. I think they were playing 50 a rack or so. oneball starts on the brunswick (center of the foot end) froze to the rail. Guy got ball in hand behind the line. They would shoot the 3 railer everytime (4 if you count the one it's froze too) Dippy I had all the breaks if I remember correctly. He was making it about 25-30 % or so. It was entertaining to watch.

I went looking for it on my 8 hard drives and I need to do some serious housecleaning, because I got crap scattered all over the place... I couldn't find it and after 10 mins of looking, I said "wait a minute, its Dippy" Dippy got 10 mins of looking.. I believe that was more then enough:D

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Make believe, it's only

Make believe, it's only

Freddy,

I don't think I remember playing this at all but I've seen it a couple of times. Refresh my memory of what happens when a player fouls. Does he spot one up or does he now have to pocket the ball on the table, spot it up and make it again? In other words, is there ever more than just one ball on the table?

The times I remember seeing it played it was on a 5'x10' snooker table and the guys broke from the "D".

Dennis

You gotta make believe the game has been played up to the point where you both need one. That would allow you to spot up a ball if you scratch. That would take care of the situation whereby you scratch and the only ball on the table is behind the line.

Beard

Where the first ball is spotted for the break is sometimes a point of contention.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Time out !!!

Time out !!!

This has been a great thread, with lots of points and counter-points being bandied about...As usual, we have all strayed from the OP's original question, but I'm not sure he was qualified to even ask it.

That being said, I think most of us enjoyed the middle portion of the thread, where we all got sidetracked into touting our various favorite players...With that in mind, I would like to offer up, my educated [sic] guess..as to several "glaring" possible misquotes, on a few of the guy's, when they were at the top of their game. (Not necessarily in any particular order, also NOT all inclusive)

Efren Reyes;...Strengths- Amazing all around skill/talent, and the will to win. And all the other due praise heaped on him.
....................Weaknesses-As has been mentioned, game management may never have been his strongest suit...But who can argue with his W/L % ???

Ronnie Allen;...Strengths-Unmatched creativity, and the ability to get out from almost anywhere...Also excellent game management skills. Probably the most colorful of all player's ever. (also can be the biggest pain in the ass) :rolleyes:
......................Weaknesses-Very few at one pocket, but I think his carreer may have been shortened considerably, by his own excesses.

Jack Cooney;....Strengths-The ability to get the big $$$, in any given situation, and as Billy S. said, "knowing WHEN to win".
.......................Weaknesses-Obviously the least talented, of a whole lot of top tier player's. Jack was rarely the favorite, (playing even) in any big time action joint he entered...But, he probably won more money, than the first two combined...(wait a minute Barb, is that a weakness ?).;)

Got to get ready for Turkey day at a good friends house, so I shall leave it there for now...I'm sure Fred or the Ghost, could add a few more player's (with their S and W insight)...As will I tomorrow...Apologies to many others top- notchers, whose game I am very familiar with...Kelly, Breit, Richie, et al...But, at my typing speed of 3 WPM...I cannot go on or I will start drinking too early..:eek: :p

Happy Gobble Gobble Day, to all...And don't forget all our troop's overseas, many of whom, may be lucky to get a MRE today..:mad:
God Bless America !!!!

DuckPerson

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
<snip>

Efren Reyes;...Strengths- Amazing all around skill/talent, and the will to win. And all the other due praise heap on him.
....................Weaknesses-As has been mentioned, game management may never have been his strongest suit...But who can argue with his W/L % ???

Ronnie Allen;...Strengths-Unmatched creativity, and the ability to get out from almost anywhere...Also excellent game management skills. Probably the most colorful of all player's ever. (also can be the biggest pain in the ass) :rolleyes:
......................Weaknesses-Very few at one pocket, but I think his carreer may have been shortened considerably, by his own excesses.

Jack Cooney;....Strengths-The ability to get the big $$$, in any given situation, and as Billy S. said, "knowing WHEN to win".
.......................Weaknesses-Obviously the least talented, of a whole lot of top tier player's. Jack was rarely the favorite, (playing even) in any big time action joint he entered...But, he probably won more money, than the first two combined...(wait a minute Barb, is that a weakness ?).;) <snip>
This looks like a good start. I would have to add for Reyes his unparalleled all-around cue skills and IMAGINATION -- no one has ever brought his unique mix of talent and imagination to the game of One Pocket, in my opinion. You see it over and over again in his kicking skills, multiple ball caroms, creative use of english, masse, precise multi-rail billiard moves, etc. Efren also brought/brings an intimidation factor that is not quite a shark, but it has a similar net effect.

Regarding Ronnie, he also certainly must been intimidating to play, and from all I have heard, he was not shy about injecting his unique brand of running commentary to get a rise from the crowd (and maybe a wilt from the opposition)

With the thread tile of "smartest" I think that word puts extra points on the board for Jack Cooney though. If I understand you correctly, your weaknesses for Jack fall into the execution area, not the thinking side of the game.

Never having seen Artie play anything near his prime, but having spoken to him enough and read enough and heard enough from people he did play, I would say he belongs in this group too. Like Cooney, he didn't necessarily bring the greatest shooting talent, but I definitely believe he deserves the props he gets for being one of the greatest game/table/shot managers ever. Maybe Clem or a younger Lingo would disagree, but since their eras are even earlier, I do not see anyone in his own time to rival Artie in his ability to gain control of the game via his smarts (as opposed to say the fire power of RA or Efren or Frost, etc).

SJDinPHX

Suspended
This looks like a good start. I would have to add for Reyes his unparalleled all-around cue skills and IMAGINATION -- no one has ever brought his unique mix of talent and imagination to the game of One Pocket, in my opinion. You see it over and over again in his kicking skills, multiple ball caroms, creative use of english, masse, precise multi-rail billiard moves, etc. Efren also brought/brings an intimidation factor that is not quite a shark, but it has a similar net effect.
Agreed Steve, didn't I say the same thing (in abbreviated form)...:)

Regarding Ronnie, he also certainly must been intimidating to play, and from all I have heard, he was not shy about injecting his unique brand of running commentary to get a rise from the crowd (and maybe a wilt from the opposition)
You have NO idea...Only been matching up with him for 52 years...:frus

With the thread tile of "smartest" I think that word puts extra points on the board for Jack Cooney though. If I understand you correctly, your weaknesses for Jack fall into the execution area, not the thinking side of the game.
You understood me correctly...:cool:

Never having seen Artie play anything near his prime, but having spoken to him enough and read enough and heard enough from people he did play, I would say he belongs in this group too. Like Cooney, he didn't necessarily bring the greatest shooting talent, but I definitely believe he deserves the props he gets for being one of the greatest game/table/shot managers ever. Maybe Clem or a younger Lingo would disagree, but since their eras are even earlier, I do not see anyone in his own time to rival Artie in his ability to gain control of the game via his smarts (as opposed to say the fire power of RA or Efren or Frost, etc).

Opinions on Artie, will always be a mixed bag/gray area, for many of us..I'm sure he was a very worthy and tough competitor..(As his supporter's have said, maybe 10,000 times)..His ability, and/or willingness,..to "mix it up" more often, will always create a question mark, for me...It seems his few 'Road Trips' were designed, (his own word's).. just to "trap", and avoid tough action..I think his best game may have been "wearing people out" as he did with John H. at their 1st meeting..When John had a little time to prepare for AB's style, the results were quite different, the next time they met...Jes' sayin'.. ;)

Could you maybe start a new thread, (including our last few posts)... with a title of maybe "Smartest Player # 2"...Or, do you think the subject has been beaten to death ? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Enough of this

Enough of this

Opinions on Artie, will always be a mixed bag/gray area, for many of us..I'm sure he was a very worthy and tough competitor..(As his supporter's have said, maybe 10,000 times)..His ability, and/or willingness,..to "mix it up" more often, will always create a question mark, for me It seems his few 'Road Trips' were designed just to "trap", and avoid tough action..I think his best game may have been "wearing people out" as he did with John H. at their 1st meeting..When John had a little time to prepare for AB's style, the results were quite different, the next time they met...Jes' sayin'.. ;)
:rolleyes:

There you go with that "mix it up" shit again. You have an agenda against Artie and just cant stop throwing those digs into an area that you know absolutely zero about. You have never seen him play, and all that have, you call fan boys and worse, and never miss a chance to diss their opinion. Like me, for example. I aint no ****in fan boy. I am a pool player who has been around pool for over 50 years. My opinion counts for something. To infer that I have been naively enamoured by Artie's game is a stone insult. Because I also aint no armchair quarterback. I have been in the trenches with the best of them.

Now, he "mixed it up" with Boston Shorty, Jersey Red, Bugs, Danny Jones, Cecil,Cannonball, George Brunt, Grady, Gene Nagy, Mexican Johnny, Nick Varner, Clyde Childress, Incardona, and many more. He robbed them all. He woulda mixed it up with many more that came up to North Shore, but unfortunately, they wouldnt play. People like Keith, Buddy, Hubbart, Hopkins, St Louis Louie.

Would you call that enough mixing?

Then you want to evidence your argument with John H beating an old guy with a leaking heart, diabetes, and retired for 20 years?

Real right is real right, and how you would like the world to look, dont make it any different.

Beard

I will say it again. The "smartest" one pocket player is just a contest for #2.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
There you go with that "mix it up" shit again. You have an agenda against Artie and just cant stop throwing those digs into an area that you know absolutely zero about. You have never seen him play, and all that have, you call fan boys and worse, and never miss a chance to diss their opinion. Like me, for example. I aint no ****in fan boy. I am a pool player who has been around pool for over 50 years. My opinion counts for something. To infer that I have been naively enamoured by Artie's game is a stone insult. Because I also aint no armchair quarterback. I have been in the trenches with the best of them.

Now, he "mixed it up" with Boston Shorty, Jersey Red, Bugs, Danny Jones, Cecil,Cannonball, George Brunt, Grady, Gene Nagy, Mexican Johnny, Nick Varner, Clyde Childress, Incardona, and many more. He robbed them all. He woulda mixed it up with many more that came up to North Shore, but unfortunately, they wouldnt play. People like Keith, Buddy, Hubbart, Hopkins, St Louis Louie.

Would you call that enough mixing?

Then you want to evidence your argument with John H beating an old guy with a leaking heart, diabetes, and retired for 20 years?

Real right is real right, and how you would like the world to look, dont make it any different.

Beard

I will say it again. The "smartest" one pocket player is just a contest for #2.

Fred,

How do you always find a way to be offended ?..Other than the '10,000 times' remark, (which you know, is true)...that was the only straw you could possibly grasp at to take offense ? WTF...:confused:

I have no axe to grind with Artie, we got along great, when we finally met, and got to know each other..His lack of communication skills notwithstanding..YOU, of all people, should know that I am not the ONLY one who has pointed out a few of his most 'glaring' shortcomings (ie. trapping, nuthunting)..Maybe if he had taken on a few of those guys, (that asked for a ball, or two, or sought neutral ground)...then HIS credibility would be much more secure, and we'd know for sure, that the opinion of everyone in Chicago, (including you)... that he was absolutely....unbeatable !!!

He may well have been the "smartest 1P player in the world, ever"...But to use his health, as a way to demean John's play (which was only a few months apart) I take as a diss to John..Maybe you didn't mean it that way..but thats how it came out...None of us are in our prime anymore..:(

If you insist on retaliating, (with all his conquest's, and perfect play) then I guess the only way to keep from incurring your wrath, is to just 'wholeheartedly' agree with everything you say...:frus..Now, how much fun would that be ???.:rolleyes:

PS..Go enjoy your Turkey Day, and puhleeeeze, do not get all riled up over NOTHING...:p (it could lead to indigestion)

PPS..By the way,..The sky is blue, in my world. (today anyway)
View attachment 4558
I guess you're right..again !!

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Maybe youre right

Maybe youre right

Fred,

How do you always find a way to be offended ?..Other than the '10,000 times' remark, (which you know, is true)...that was the only straw you could possibly grasp at to take offense ? WTF...:confused:

I have no axe to grind with Artie, we got along great, when we finally met, and got to know each other..His lack of communication skills notwithstanding..YOU, of all people, should know that I am not the ONLY one who has pointed out a few of his most 'glaring' shortcomings (ie. trapping, nuthunting)..Maybe if he had taken on a few of those guys, (that asked for a ball, or two, or sought neutral ground)...HIS legacy would be much more secure, and we'd know for sure, that the opinion of everyone in Chicago,(including you)... that he was absolutely....unbeatable !!!

He may well have been the "smartest 1P player in the world, ever"...But to use his health, as a way to demean John's play (which was only a few months apart) I take as a diss to John..Maybe you didn't mean it that way..but thats how it came out...None of us are in our prime anymore..:(

If you insist on retaliating, (with all his conquest's, and perfect play) then I guess the only way to keep from incurring your wrath, is to just
'wholeheartedly' agree with everything you say...:frus..Now, how much fun would that be ???.:rolleyes:

PS..Go enjoy your Turkey Day, and puhleeeeze, do not get all riled up over NOTHING...:p (could lead to indigestion)

PPS..By the way,..The sky is blue, in my world. (today anyway)
View attachment 4558
I guess you're right..again !!

He probably shoulda given Buddy Hall 10 to 8 and Allen Hopkins 8 to 7 in the 80s. Cooney wanted 10 to 8. Is that what you meant when you said he shoulda took more guys on? He did give George Pawelski 8 to 5 and George Brunt a ball and the break. BTW, did you think those games with Hall, Allen and Cooney were something he shoulda snapped up?

Beard

What you dont get is that people just didnt want to match up period.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
He probably shoulda given Buddy Hall 10 to 8 and Allen Hopkins 8 to 7 in the 80s. Cooney wanted 10 to 8. Is that what you meant when you said he shoulda took more guys on? He did give George Pawelski 8 to 5 and George Brunt a ball and the break. BTW, did you think those games with Hall, Allen and Cooney were something he shoulda snapped up?

Beard

What you dont get is that people just didnt want to match up period.

Beardmonster,

Let me just say, that in the 70's, I might not have won, but I sure have given up one, or more of those games on MY home turf/pet table..Jes' sayin'...:p..In fact, I did give Buddy, and several other notable's (names on request),a ball or two at that time..With somewhat mixed results..
One can only brag so much in one post (which you have 'bruised' several times) JK JK JK :)....But, I DID STAY in action though, right Rod, or Skin ?...:D

PS..I was never known for my management skills..:eek:

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
This has been a great thread, with lots of points and counter-points being bandied about...As usual, we have all strayed from the OP's original question, but I'm not sure he was qualified to even ask it.

DuckPerson

Dearest Duckbreath,

As usual, you don't have a f@#king clue as to what you write about. This is not a great thread, this is one of the stupidest threads I've ever seen or responded in. Let me point out one or two things to your YJ- addled brain:

1. Why wouldn't the original poster be qualified to ask the question? Isn't it the person who doesn't know something the person who then asks?

2. As I've stated previous, in this thread, the OP (Houston Ron 1966) is either Artie himself or a close friend of AB's with better spelling and typing skills who started this thread probably with AB's full awareness and possible insistence. You are all responding to a prankster who started a prank thread that is completely fabricated to lure morons like you into the mix, as usual, you went for it.

3. The OP wanted to glorify and bring attention to his hero.

4. The OP has 14 posts on this site, they are all repetitive brags showing his unbridled manlove of AB.

5. The OP's initials are quite likely L.S..

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Dearest Duckbreath,

As usual, you don't have a f@#king clue as to what you write about. This is not a great thread, this is one of the stupidest threads I've ever seen Or responded to. Let me point out one or two things to your YJ- addled brain:

1. Why wouldn't the original poster be qualified to ask the question? Isn't it the person who doesn't know something the person who then asks?

2. As I've stated previous, in this thread, the OP (Houston Ron 1966) is either Artie himself or a close friend of AB's with better spelling and typing skills who started this thread probably with AB's full awareness and possible insistence. You are all responding to a prankster who started a prank thread that is completely fabricated to lure morons like you into the mix, as usual, you went for it.

3. The OP wanted to glorify and bring attention to his hero.

4. The OP has 14 posts on this site, they are all repetitive brags showing his unbridled manlove of AB.

5. The OP's initials are quite likely L.S..

Dennis

Dear Lintbrain, (starting to think that may be an insult to 'lint').:p

Then why did you lead ALL others poster's, in responses...(28)...What a MORON !..:rolleyes:

PS..Its OK though,...Cocobola Cowboy, does the same thing over at AZB...Are you absolutely certain, you are NOT related to him..:confused:
Good Lord,...it would be "Dueling Banjo's", all over again..:eek:

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

That being said, I think most of us enjoyed the middle portion of the thread, where we all got sidetracked into touting our various favorite players...With that in mind, I would like to offer up, my educated [sic] guess..as to several "glaring" possible misquotes, on a few of the guy's, when they were at the top of their game. (Not necessarily in any particular order, also NOT all inclusive)

Efren Reyes;...Strengths- Amazing all around skill/talent, and the will to win. And all the other due praise heaped on him.

.......................Weaknesses-Obviously the least talented, of a whole lot of top tier player's. Jack was rarely the favorite, (playing even) in any big time action joint he entered...But, he probably won more money, than the first two combined...(wait a minute Barb, is that a weakness ?).;)

One Pocket Ghost;....Strengths - Superior mover: creativity, trapping, finding safe/ingenious ways to move balls towards his hole, knowledge of the game - probably the best I've ever seen...also probably the best One Pocket strategist I've seen - unmatched in analyzing the game, his opponent, and making correct decisions.
...................Weaknesses - Not a great shotmaker...probably because he only ever played pool part-time, and never practiced.

Got to get ready for Turkey day at a good friends house, so I shall leave it
there for now...I'm sure Fred or the Ghost, could add a few more player's (with their S and W insight)...As will I tomorrow...Apologies to many others top- notchers, whose game I am very familiar with...Kelly, Breit, Richie, et al...But, at my typing speed of 3 WPM...I cannot go on or I will start drinking too early..:eek:

Happy Gobble Gobble Day, to all...And don't forget all our troop's overseas, many of whom, may be lucky to get a MRE today..:mad:
God Bless America !!!!

DuckPerson

Thanks for the kind words Papie...:)

Your pal, Ghosty

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Thanks for the kind words Papie..!

Your pal, Ghosty

Sorry, I am no longer speaking to you...You accused me of calling you a 'moron', when it was actually RBL, calling ME a "F@@king moron"...Along with your 987th "world ranking", I suggest you also learn to read, as I am sure you will soon need SOMETHING to fall back on..
Or you might injure yourself, with your "Samuri Sword/cue..I am truely hurt, and offended by your callous, misplaced accusations...you Nimbecile..:rolleyes: :p

Just for that, heres another of your girlfriend pic's..;)
View attachment 4560
She does look better,.....with her teeth in..:eek:
But knowing you, you probably prefer them out..Heh,heh !.:D

Last edited:

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
- Ghost

`````

This is imo the most intelligent post in this thread, how can you argue against the man who has the highest win loss record of any top player ever, in terms of smartness, Reyes?

A smart shot for Reyes is the one he shoots, and yes he doesn't win every game he plays but he comes pretty close. Talking about Reyes in his prime.

As Reye's skills diminish he will have to change his style of play and if he can't do that he'll start losing. If and when he starts losing he'll then be recognized as not so smart of a player.:frus

Has anyone ever stopped to realize that Reyes just may know more than we do? ESPECIALLY ABOUT HIS OWN GAME.:frus

Billy I.

Trying to bring it back to the OP line ..... hijacking occurs
So the smartest player was --> insert your player(s) name here

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I think Efren would get quite a few takers In one ball onepocket, myself Included.
All this talk about who's the smartest..I think sometimes It pays to be dumb.
I know for sure you can out smart yourself real easy.Nowadays,you better be ready to shoot at something because the good players will.I like the way Efren thinks even though I'm not sure that he does which can be a good thing.John B.

Yeah, and you'd never see him play this way either, which is the real telling point. If he aint running balls, or about to, he's frustrated -- i've seen it a million times. That's my take. One of Efren's other shortcomings, his one-barrell-Mcgee-edness. I have never seen such a great player fire so many single barrels in my life. I saw Efren quit a B+ player one night cus the guy caught a gear and was practicing too good on him. No kidding.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Yeah, and you'd never see him play this way either, which is the real telling point. If he aint running balls, or about to, he's frustrated -- i've seen it a million times. That's my take. One of Efren's other shortcomings, his one-barrell-Mcgee-edness. I have never seen such a great player fire so many single barrels in my life. I saw Efren quit a B+ player one night cus the guy caught a gear and was practicing too good on him. No kidding.

You do not see the top Filipino layers book many losers. The one with the most gamble is probably Parica, but he is more Americanized than the others, having been the first to come and been living here for so long.

The only time Orcullo was around he would bet it up (With a stakehorse) and even bet high playing one pocket, which he obviously had not played much.

Efren always manages to win. He is the best one pocket player in the world for many years now and he matches up pretty snugly to go along with it.