Elvis in Germany

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
My old outfit, 97th signal Battalion had their reunion a week or so ago. 50 years since I was in. I was in a photo platoon and we took a lot of pictures, especially when we were on a field problem with Elvis Presley at Grafenvehr Germany in 1959-60. Operation Winter Shield. I was too dumb to keep any pics of Elvis, but one of my old buddies that went to the reunion sent me what he had. I can tell you this about Elvis, he was a great guy, dearly loved by his Army buddies.

One of the pics is the super secret at the time, 100 inch camera that we had in our outfit. Same camera Francis Gary Powers used in his U2 flight over Russia. Takes pictures from 30 miles away. My platoon did insertions into East Germany and Czechoslovakia with agents of the Counter Intelligence Corps. We'd sneak across the border in jeeps and take pics of different installations --up to 30 miles away. The borders werent closed then. Those missions werent much more dangerous than going out and drinking in the G.I. bars.

The last pic is me partying with some buddies. I included that pic if for no reason other than it might chap a certain chappable ass. Why a pic from 50 years ago would bother anybody is a good question, but I will bet that it does.

Beard

??? Sorry, but the pics wouldnt load?

Attachments

• scan0008 (600 x 479).jpg
    scan0008 (600 x 479).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0
  • scan0009 (477 x 600).jpg
    scan0009 (477 x 600).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
  • scan0012 (464 x 600).jpg
    scan0012 (464 x 600).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
  • scan0013 (496 x 600).jpg
    scan0013 (496 x 600).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
  • scan0017 (600 x 474).jpg
    scan0017 (600 x 474).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
cheswick,chief et al

cheswick,chief et al

Forget about dl,One flew over the cuckoos nest just started at 11PM,get down.....

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
30 mile camera's 1960....

30 mile camera's 1960....

12 years later I was at a seminar in San Jose and Werner Von Brahn the nazi chief missle man then running NASA was giving a speech to a group of scientists on space camera's and he said they could see cracks in the sidewalk from 250 miles up.I heard the big E was very down to earth till the end.The epitome of cool along with Miles Davis and Sinatra,lucky guy Freddie....

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
My old outfit, 97th signal Battalion had their reunion a week or so ago. 50 years since I was in. I was in a photo platoon and we took a lot of pictures, especially when we were on a field problem with Elvis Presley at Grafenvehr Germany in 1959-60. Operation Winter Shield. I was too dumb to keep any pics of Elvis, but one of my old buddies that went to the reunion sent me what he had. I can tell you this about Elvis, he was a great guy, dearly loved by his Army buddies.

One of the pics is the super secret at the time, 100 inch camera that we had in our outfit. Same camera Francis Gary Powers used in his U2 flight over Russia. Takes pictures from 30 miles away. My platoon did insertions into East Germany and Czechoslovakia with agents of the Counter Intelligence Corps. We'd sneak across the border in jeeps and take pics of different installations --up to 30 miles away. The borders werent closed then. Those missions werent much more dangerous than going out and drinking in the G.I. bars.

The last pic is me partying with some buddies. I included that pic if for no reason other than it might chap a certain chappable ass. Why a pic from 50 years ago would bother anybody is a good question, but I will bet that it does.

Beard

??? Sorry, but the pics wouldnt load?

Fred,

If you think I would make fun of your time in the service, even in jest, then you really don't know me very well... I was never in the service, and I deeply regreted missing that experience in later years... My dad Died in 1941, just shortly before Pearl Harbor. (I was 7,...he was only 42) His early passing, was basically from injuries he had sustained in WW1...He was an army motorcycle courier.

I was obviously too young for WWII, and when Korea came along, I was married, had one kid, and one on the way, and was draft exempt. My only contribution to any war effort, (however small) was that, in 1952-53, I worked in the largest steel fabrication plant in the world (R.C.Mahon Co. in Detroit)...they geared up to make the bodies and turrets for Sherman tanks.

By Viet Nam, I was too old plus, by then, I had 4 kids... Most of my friends, who were a little older or younger, were drafted or joined. Guys my age, were in a similar situation as myself, most of them, if they were married, did not see any time in the service.

My other contribution to the armed forces was, my two oldest boys, did a full stint in the Marines, I was/am very proud of them... Both are in their 50's now, and I am very envious when they talk about those times...Just out of curiosity, were you drafted, or did you enlist. Doesn't matter really, either way you did your time.

So please don't think I would ever say anything derogatory about your time in the service, even jokingly, it ain't gonna happen...Of all the things you have said to me, believe me, that hurt the worst, because it is something that would never even have entered my mind. To me there is NO comparison, to ribbing or needling you, anything pool related.... Wish you felt the same way.

Dick

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Fred,

If you think I would make fun of your time in the service, even in jest... then you really don't know me very well. I was never in the service, and I deeply regreted missing that experience in later years. My dad Died in 1941, (I was 7,...he was only 42) His early passing, was basically from injuries he had sustained in WW1

I was obviously too young for WWII, and when Korea came along, I had one kid, and one on the way, and was draft exempt. My only contribution to any war effort, (however small) was that, in 1952-53, I worked in the largest steel fabrication plant in the world (R.C.Mahon Co. in Detroit)...they made the turrets and bodies for Sherman tanks.

By Viet Nam, I was too old plus, by then I then had 4 kids. Most of my friends, who were a little older or younger, were drafted or joined. Guys my age, were in a similar situation as myself, most of them, if they were married, did not see any time in the service.

My other contribution to the armed forces was, my two oldest boys, did a full stint in the Marines, I was/am very proud of them... Both are in their 50's now, and I am very envious when they talk about those times.

So please don't think I would ever say anything derogatory about your time in the service, even in jest...Of all the things you have said to me, believe me, that hurt the worst, because it is something that would never even have entered my mind.

Dick

SJD I didnt make it in the service. I was mentaly unfit. But you gues mite realize youre both on the same side.

Have Freddy show you some pictures off him. In the uniform. If he has any off course. AndFreddy was a hansom young man.

At that time I didnt no him yet. But I herd some off his service stories. And the were great.

But if fredddy has a picture off himself in the service that would be one great picture.

IF the have a 65 and over service. And only the people who were never in the sevice get too go.

I think we should signe up SJD just too see what its like. For good old sake.

But I think Freddy can come up one picture in the service. And know SJD might even get to like you Freddy.

You fought for his country. THats mre then what SJD and I did. WE were sweathers in the pool room. Looking too play pool.

But the sevice is a great place to learn and grow up. And a lot off young men have given thier lives too the service. And thier country.

And the goverment should do something to help them. THe goverment just cant use people like that and then not do anything for them.

No body can do more then give thier life for all the people and the country. Were would the goverment be without the soldiers.

THey couldnt do nothing. Its the people who make the country. And the should start realizing it. Before they take away all thier programs.

AND MY ONE QOUISTION IS WHY DOES THE GOVERMENT NOT HAVE TOO KEEP THIER WORD. They do something wrong or commite a crime nothing hapines WHY.

IS the goverment above the law. Or does they law not appliy too the goverment. And when they make a mistake they dont make it wright.

They people need to judge thier cases and thier mistakes. Not thier owne people who wash each others hands. And just let them go.

And nothing ever happines too them. Is that what a political job stands for.

Freedom from trial and prosicution. Because that exacly whats going on. They have a free pass to do what they want.

When will that change never. Havant they taken enough from the people. Or are they waiting for everyone too be brocke and hungary.

THey should look out fot thr people like they look out for themselves.

SJD and FReddy . And everyone else have a great fathers day tommarrow. Because you men are all great fathers. And we all have that in common and we no what it is like too raise kids.

So Have a great fathers dat. And what ever the dads what too eat and drink. Enjoy youre fathers day. Because you desirve it and one day out off the year isnt bad for fathers.

And remember howe good our fathers were too us. And our grandfather too them. And our dads worket and strugled so we could have a decent life.

And I no we all love oure fathers. It puts us back in thier time and all the things they did for us. If you started a dads list off all the things they did for us it would be endless.

BUt enjoy tommarow and all youre family and ftiends and all they memories we have off them.

HAve a great fathers day. And Freddy dont forget the service picture if you have one. In uniform.

Good night gentelmen.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Pics wont post

Pics wont post

I tried posting pics again and I got the same message. "not a valid image file"

They are all .jpegs with low pixel counts. Must be a glitch in Steve's program.

Beard

Yes, 'Blues, Elvis was cool as a breeze. Contrary to what some "reporters" and "biographers" have said about him.

Tramp Steamer

Verified Member
My great, great, great, great uncle, Ebeneezer Steamer, was in the signal corps during the Revolutionary War. In those days they didn't have cameras, of course, but used parchment and charcoal sticks. It goes without saying that it was damn hard to get the enemy to stand still long enough to draw a picture.
Happy Fathers Day, everyone.

P.S. I did my time in the USNR, and was aboard the only steam powered LST (Tank Landing Ship) in the whole entire Navy.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Pic download working now

Pic download working now

The site is now accepting my pics. Go back to post #1 to see the, Elvis in Germany, pics. Also Mr Duck can have another chance to remain "neutral" and not worry about what I say or do, on the last photo of Old Ich (that's "me" in German), whooping it up in one of the G.I. bars in Boeblingen.
The one pic shows me with my corporal stripes (spec 4). Only known photo. They didnt last 2 days before I got busted.

Beard

Attachments

• swimbad0002 (461 x 600).jpg
    swimbad0002 (461 x 600).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 0
  • scan0014 (531 x 600).jpg
    scan0014 (531 x 600).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 16a fred Germany 1960 (437 x 600).jpg
    16a fred Germany 1960 (437 x 600).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 1
  • scan0010 (600 x 430).jpg
    scan0010 (600 x 430).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1
  • pic for bear (600 x 592).jpg
    pic for bear (600 x 592).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 0

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
great pics Mr. Beard I have seen yours before, I like your shades. You rolled cool then as you do now. I spent lots of time in Germany in horrific pain after 5 back operations. While I suffered in controlled conditions, I did think of the others that suffered there in war. Swear to God laying in bed I talked about it on more than one occasion in a haze of drugs. It seems like more pain and suffering happens in Germany than most places. I cant imagine being in war shot open waiting in the cold for a medic to come save me. Its weird the shit you think of when your suffering. Thanks for serving America. I never would have had the balls to go to war. I paid my taxes so i did my part, but thats the easy way. Artie knows the pain and suffering perhaps better than any of us.

best
eric

Thanks, Freddy. Those are some very cool pics, indeed.
Happy Father's Day to you.

xoxoxo,
Clare

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Elvis story

Elvis story

usblues said:
12 years later I was at a seminar in San Jose and Werner Von Brahn the nazi chief missle man then running NASA was giving a speech to a group of scientists on space camera's and he said they could see cracks in the sidewalk from 250 miles up.I heard the big E was very down to earth till the end.The epitome of cool along with Miles Davis and Sinatra,lucky guy Freddie....

I know I told this story before, maybe on AZ but I cant find a copy of it, but I will retell anyway. One weekend in Germany, two of my buddies from Hazelton, PA, had a weekend pass and were going to drive to Bad Nauheim or Bad Konstadt (I have forgotten which) in the hopes of seeing Elvis. We all knew he was living with his father off post. They asked me to go but I refused. I thought the chance of running into Elvis was at the very least, dim.

Anyway, they had a convertible and they drove to his house. I think they got his address from the CYTAC platoon that was stationed in our barracks. CYTAC was the messenger service and relayers of coded messages for the 7th Army. And important as their job was, they were all screw-ups and drunks.

Elvis was sitting on his porch when my guys drove up. They stopped the car and waved. El waved back and then waved them onto the porch. He treated them to a couple of beers and they got to cutting up jackpots. When Elvis found out they were both guitar players and that they had brought their guitars, and had them in the trunk, he told them to go ahead and get them.
Now my two guys, Ted Maleski, and I forgot the other kids name, were in hog heaven, drinking beer, singing and plinking their guitars with The King up on his porch. Certainly a day to treasure forever. They finally left, and drove back to Boeblingen with the car wheels probably never touching the road all the way back.

Ted, and the other kid were celebrities in our outfit from then on. Me, I was sick that I had decided not to go.

Anyway, that's the kind of guy The King was.

Beard

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
ditto

ditto

Hey Freddie I think you have mentioned this but not sure but regardless ANY story about the Big E is worth mentioning more than once and I hope you post it again in 6-12 months.My Elvis story is just that a story.In 1972 he did a show from Hawaii actually Oahu and it was the first show beamed around the planet to a billion people whatever.We were on the beach in Waikiki at night getting it on and we thought we could crash the place from where he was filming/performing but of course nothing good happened worth telling except to fellow inmates of the one-pocket channel who understand lost chances and strange stories.Bless you my son,Queen Elizabeth

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
The site is now accepting my pics. Go back to post #1 to see the, Elvis in Germany, pics. Also Mr Duck can have another chance to remain "neutral" and not worry about what I say or do, on the last photo of Old Ich (that's "me" in German), whooping it up in one of the G.I. bars in Boeblingen.
The one pic shows me with my corporal stripes (spec 4). Only known photo. They didnt last 2 days before I got busted.

Beard

IN case someone doesny no what. Kinder means. That means kids. Wouldnt it be nice Freddy to go back thier and do it all again?

And the german girls liket the American Solders. All you needed was some chochalete bars.

Im sure glad hitler didnt win. It could have been thee end off the world.

And man kind. He would have taken all his suprime race with him. When it would have been time too go.

You cannot control fanatics like that. Its very dangerous for the world.

Who has the power and the control. And if he would have gotten the atomick bomb first It would have been fourth off july all over the world.

Good things happen some times for the people and the world.

In the future they need to figure out howe too stop wars. Before the world does get blown up.

Im glad Freddy got too see germany. Did you use too fly back then?

Or did you get thier by boat?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
El was a tush-hog in his own right

El was a tush-hog in his own right

Artie Bodendorfer said:
IN case someone doesnt know what Kinder means. That means kids. Wouldnt it be nice Freddy to go back there and do it all again?

And the german girls liked the American Solders. All you needed was some chocolate bars.

Not when I was there. Even the working girls wanted you to romance them first. Dance with them, buy a few drinks, etc. Standard price at the local Wh*re House was $5. It had 3 floors and a basement. Civilian clothes only.
We had a kid in our outfit from Dallas whose family was worth about 50mil, Gian P Comini. I would love to find out what happened to him. At the end of the month when everybody was broke, he would go to the House of Three Colors (that was the name of the Wh*re House), haggle a little with the lady in charge and then rent a whole floor.
Once, when I had been Restricted to Barracks for whatever rule I had violated, the boys got me drunk and got me to go AWOL with them to Stuttgart. I had to climb over the wall to sneak out and they picked me up by the side of the road. They went directly to the Wh*reHouse but I couldnt get in because I was still in my fatigues. Still drunk, I went around the back and climbed over another wall, barbed wire and all, and snuck into the back door. I slipped downstairs into the basement and took pot luck at the first door I came to. As you may have guessed, the higher the floor, the higher the quality of the merchandise.
But when you are a drunk 18 yr old, quality is not a real consideration. Luck was with me however, and it turned out to be a good pick. At least I thought it was, remember I was blind drunk.
Drove back to the post, climbed the wall to get back in and went to bed.
Safe and sound. Got away with it. That time.

Im sure glad Hitler didnt win. It could have been thee end off the world.

And man kind. He would have taken all his suprime race with him. When it would have been time too go.

You cannot control fanatics like that. Its very dangerous for the world.

Who has the power and the control. And if he would have gotten the atomick bomb first It would have been fourth off july all over the world.

Good things happen some times for the people and the world.

In the future they need to figure out howe too stop wars. Before the world does get blown up.

Im glad Freddy got too see Germany. Did you used too fly back then?

Or did you get there by boat?

I flew over to Germany. Took 18 hours in a prop plane -- no jet, and took the boat back. USS Patch. Took ten days in that bucket. All those newbies that arrived in Germany had to be "initiated." Which usually meant you had to fight with someone in order to get left alone. All those that chose to be pacifists, spent the next two years bullied and abused. Piss in your boots. Dragged into the bathrooms at night by the returning drunks for a cold shower, lockers and bunks turned over, etc.
My first night found me with pee in my boots. However, I chose the correct path, and I suffered no further indignities from that day forward.

It was the same with Elvis. He was sent to 3rd Armored Cav, Hell on Wheels, to the motor pool. Tough duty. Now G.I.s aint all that impressed with celebs and Elvis got called out immediately. After strumming a few platoon members -- brother El could handle himself -- his buddies took to him, and from then on they looked after him and protected him from outsiders.

Elvis had a German girl friend then too. How old do you think she was? 15! That's right. She would go to his house, but with a "chaperone" of course.
Now you know why I loved the man.

Beard

Matt_24

Verified Member
Freddy,

Thank you for your service. Sounds like you had a lot of great adventures! My dad joined the Army around the same time as you -- and he is a huge Elvis fan as well. I remember he had a book on Elvis in the Army.

It is kind of funny. I've been in the Air Force for over 13 years and people asked me why I joined, and the truth is...because of pool.

I was about 17 and I knew a good player in our area who kind of took me under his wing a bit and showed me some stuff. He was always talking about his time in the Air Force, and how he travelled around and played a lot of different players. He brought me in a lot of photos from his time in service and told me I should think about doing a stint, just for the fun of it. He said that he regretted not making a career of it. So, I joined up....and I'm still here, over 13 years later.

Good thread!

Matt

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
I flew over to Germany. Took 18 hours in a prop plane -- no jet, and took the boat back. USS Patch. Took ten days in that bucket. All those newbies that arrived in Germany had to be "initiated." Which usually meant you had to fight with someone in order to get left alone. All those that chose to be pacifists, spent the next two years bullied and abused. Piss in your boots. Dragged into the bathrooms at night by the returning drunks for a cold shower, lockers and bunks turned over, etc.
My first night found me with pee in my boots. However, I chose the correct path, and I suffered no further indignities from that day forward.

It was the same with Elvis. He was sent to 3rd Armored Cav, Hell on Wheels, to the motor pool. Tough duty. Now G.I.s aint all that impressed with celebs and Elvis got called out immediately. After strumming a few platoon members -- brother El could handle himself -- his buddies took to him, and from then on they looked after him and protected him from outsiders.

Elvis had a German girl friend then too. How old do you think she was? 15! That's right. She would go to his house, but with a "chaperone" of course.
Now you know why I loved the man.

Beard

Ill show you howe things could always be different. If I would have been older. WE could have been shooting at each other.

When we were on opposite sides. You lucket out. Because I would have got you.

And thier would not have been Banking with the Beared.