CatfishBreath's DVD

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
First off Mr. Bounce-Back let me tell you that I just watched your DVD in it's entirety (for the 2nd time) and now I'm going to tell you what I think.

1. I think you hit every shot in the DVD at the proper speed to make the bank the easiest way possible so stop starting stupid threads about why you hit balls hard:rolleyes:.

2. I think you bank real f@@king good:).

Now, you knew there would have to be an honest critique or I wouldn't be me, right? My critque is this (remember, all publicity is good publicity):

3. You showed no banks that needed to be hit soft to be pocketed, you do know a few, right? (maybe there is a sequel coming? Oh God, I can hardly wait;).).

4. Although you showed the best way to pocket the balls you must remember that when playing Bank Pool (or one-pocket) other considerations must be accounted for ie; position play, game score, table differences and so forth. I certainly hope that Volume 2 includes the necessary trade-offs that occur when you need to play position on a ball and therefore must hit the bank in a less-than-favorable manner. I realize you do not favor playing shapes over making the ball but some do. Neither is good without the other.

5. You showed me nothing that I didn't already know & do (and it only cost me a BIG bottle of Jenna's finest:sorry).

6. I do wish you'd explain to your fans why this cross-side bank is best hit with low-left, I believe there is a better explanation than the one you gave on the DVD. Believe it or not I figured it out 30 years ago and have taught it to several people through the years. My explanation has nothing to do with the angle the ball enters the pocket.

CFB1.jpg

Just one last thing CFB: Why don't you use the same preshot routine during a tournament that you use on this DVD? I think you'd play better. Instead of getting down, getting up, getting back down, getting back up, walking 9 feet away and picking a piece of lint (real or imagined) off the table, getting back down and finally f@@king shooting why don't you just get down and shoot the damn ball? Try it, you may like it. You just may develop a rythmn and turn out to be a fine banker:D.

Anyway CatfishBreath, that's my (sober) evaluation of your DVD. It is very good and full of great information for all the newbies out there to become fine bankers.

Cowboy "can't wait for Volume 2" Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
6. I do wish you'd explain to your fans why this cross-side bank is best hit with low-left, I believe there is a better explanation than the one you gave on the DVD. Believe it or not I figured it out 30 years ago and have taught it to several people through the years. My explanation has nothing to do with the angle the ball enters the pocket.
View attachment 6308

Cowboy "can't wait for Volume 2" Dennis

dennis could you tell us please??

John Brumback

Verified Member
dennis could you tell us please??

Yeah,do tell Mr. expert.Wi'll be wating with baited breath,or sometin like that.:lol I myself can hardly wait for this.:frus:lol I done my explaining on the dvd.Didn't i done tell you that I am not arguing on or over anything on my dvd:p Good try though,hehe.John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Yeah,do tell Mr. expert.Wi'll be wating with baited breath,or sometin like that.:lol I myself can hardly wait for this.:frus:lol I done my explaining on the dvd.Didn't i done tell you that I am not arguing on or over anything on my dvd:p Good try though,hehe.John B.

Dearest "old tire at the end of a rope at the ole' swimmin' hole" Breath,

I asked you to explain the "better" reason. Are you admitting that you don't know one???:confused:.
Cowboy "bankpoolexpert" Dennis said:

P.S. I'm not arguing anything, I'm seeking information, do you have any to contribute?:eek:.

RBL

John Brumback

Verified Member
Dearest "old tire at the end of a rope at the ole' swimmin' hole" Breath,

I asked you to explain the "better" reason. Are you admitting that you don't know one???:confused:.

P.S. I'm not arguing anything, I'm seeking information, do you have any to contribute?:eek:.

RBL

Oh ok,that's an easy one.When you or I hit the oball farther,futher sp? down the rail,(with left english) (left english will hold this shot up by the way) It will allow us to come into the pocket at a better angle,IE bigger pocket.That's my theroy and my method and my facts.Now, will you please enlighten us with your well thought out guess and or theroy or method that you would use:p Maybe,just maybe you do the same you just don't explain it as good as I do:eek::lol Your friend,catfishbreath
PS: i will be wating for "your" answer too!

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
When you or I hit the oball farther down the rail,(with left english) (left english will hold this shot up by the way) It will allow us to come into the pocket at a better angle,IE bigger pocket.

If I wanted to hear a repetition of this explanation I would've popped in the DVD and listened to it.

I asked you one question: Do you know of a BETTER reason to shoot the ball with left? Yes or no.

P.S. I've got a case & a half of Miller Lite, a fifth of Jenna's finest, 1.75 liters of Absolut & 1.75 liters of Bloody Mary mix and I just sent my girl home. I can wait all night:p.

RBL

John Brumback

Verified Member
If I wanted to hear a repetition of this explanation I would've popped in the DVD and listened to it.

I asked you one question: Do you know of a BETTER reason to shoot the ball with left? Yes or no.

P.S. I've got a case & a half of Miller Lite, a fifth of Jenna's finest, 1.75 liters of Absolut & 1.75 liters of Bloody Mary mix and I just sent my girl home. I can wait all night:p.

RBL

Maybe...it might help bend the ball back in? er no I can't think of any right now:eek:.How's that?:lol I hope that clears this up so I can maybe learn something:frus John B.
PS: I too like me a good Bloody Mary ever now and then,yum yum.Dude,your rollin good this evenin!

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Oh ok,that's an easy one.When you or I hit the oball farther,futher sp? down the rail,(with left english) (left english will hold this shot up by the way) It will allow us to come into the pocket at a better angle,IE bigger pocket.That's my theroy and my method and my facts.Now, will you please enlighten us with your well thought out guess and or theroy or method that you would use:p Maybe,just maybe you do the same you just don't explain it as good as I do:eek::lol Your friend,catfishbreath
PS: i will be wating for "your" answer too!

Dear "out back, choppin' wood for the still" Breath,

Let's get one thing straight; Theory is spelled t-h-e-o-r-y, not theroy. It is not the roy it is the ory. Got it? The Ory. Roy ain't got nuthin' to do with it:rolleyes:.

Secondly, you & I would hit most banks the same way but apparently for different reasons. I guess it doesn't matter as long as the ball goes in but when you make a DVD to teach people then you must know why you do what you do, novice bankers need to learn basics not esoteric ideas passed down in a poolroom.

To me, hitting the object ball farther down the rail & it entering the pocket at a better angle are just incidental to the reason I would hit that shot with left. You make it your centerpiece. To me they are simply secondary to the reason I use, in fact they both occur because of the primary reason. Having beginners worry about the angle the ball enters a pocket kind of takes away from the things they need to learn.

I'll leave it to someone else to write the reason why it's a good idea to hit that bank (and others like it) with left. Feel free to chime in fellers. (you mildly touched on the reason John but didn't take it far enough).

P.S. Concentrating on the angle the ball enters the pocket is meaningless & a waste of time. Anyone who can't bank that ball cross-side should be playing tiddlywinks, not bank-pool:sorry.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
Sir,what can I help you with this evening? You put down my dvd ( your the only person that has though) now your putting down my spelling.I'm just an ole pool player Is this called goading ? John B.

Click here to order the DVD

1. Take that "sir" crap and stick it where the sun don't shine:p.

2. If asking you a question about your technique & advice is "putting down your DVD" then you ain't so tough-skinned after all. When you put something out there you should also answer questions about it. I only asked one simple question, that's not "putting down" your DVD.

3. As long as I'm 5 years older than you do not play the "I'm just an ole poolplayer" card;).

4. Would you rather have your ego stroked by players who couldn't bank a ball into the Pacific Ocean and have never bet two quarters on a pool game in their life? Yes/no?

If yes, here are a few examples:

1. Oh god John, thanks so much for the excellent bank DVD. My game has improved at least two balls (even though I only play bartables).

2. That tip you gave about using inside on a cross-side bank even though it's not really needed helped me tremendously. Pay no attention to that mean old Cowboy, the inside really makes the shot easier(and the 1st rail target seems to be larger).

3. WOW JOHN, I MADE THREE STRAIGHT-BACK BANKS IN A ROW A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO THANKS TO YOU AND YOUR DVD!!! THE GIRLS COULDN'T BELIEVE IT.

4. Gee John, I wish this DVD had been around when I was in my prime, I would've won many more bank-pool games. Those guys in Blue Rock, Montana and Little Rabbit, Australia and Bumfuck, Egypt wouldn't have had a chance if I had been armed with your wise & knowledgeable DVD.

If that's the crap you'd rather read, just let me know.

If you really know as much as you think you know then answer my question. Feel free to ask others (including SJD or the OPG or the FTB) as you don't seem to know as much as you think, or I don't. Could be either one, I'm open to being proved wrong.

P.S. It's not called "goading", it's called seeking inforfuckingmation. Do you have any to offer?

P.Ps. I only mentioned your spelling because when I hit "spellcheck" to check on my own, the whole room turned red:eek::p:)

Cowyboy "doesn't cry like a girl" Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
the ory theory theory theory the ory.Roy aint got nuthin to do with it.Got it,boy I feel even more stupider now than I did:eek: Ok what was the question and which shot were we talking about? I done forgot now.Hey by the way,Im getting ready to make another dvd.I'll use your advice and try to do better on the next one.I appreciate all your help.;)

PS: I've tried to use spell check but the dumb thing didn't show me the right way to spell it.:eek::)It should be spell fix not spell check!!:frus So what good is it? Then when I look in a dictionary there's 20 diffrerent stinkin ways to spell the stupid word or words:lol CFB

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
the ory theory theory theory the ory.Roy aint got nuthin to do with it.Got it,boy I feel even more stupider now than I did:eek: Ok what was the question and which shot were we talking about? I done forgot now.Hey by the way,Im getting ready to make another dvd.I'll use your advice and try to do better on the next one.I appreciate all your help.;)

PS: I've tried to use spell check but the dumb thing didn't show me the right way to spell it.:eek::)It should be spell fix not spell check!!:frus So what good is it? Then when I look in a dictionary there's 20 diffrerent stinkin ways to spell the stupid word or words:lol CFB

Yep, spellcheck can be a pain. When I click on mine it asks if I want to "autofix" and gives me the option. Some words I prefer to leave alone like doin' instead of doing but it wants to fix it for me:(.

Good luck on your next DVD, if you need any help editing it just let me know. By the way, as you should know from television the last two weeks, "olympics" has a "p" in it:p. Make sure your editor knows this:eek:.

P.S. How much booze do I have to send to get a DVD?:D

Take care John.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Yep, spellcheck can be a pain. When I click on mine it asks if I want to "autofix" and gives me the option. Some words I prefer to leave alone like doin' instead of doing but it wants to fix it for me:(.

Good luck on your next DVD, if you need any help editing it just let me know. By the way, as you should know from television the last two weeks, "olympics" has a "p" in it:p. Make sure your editor knows this:eek:.

P.S. How much booze do I have to send to get a DVD?:D

Take care John.

Dennis

:lol Don't worry the next one's FREEEEE !!!!!!:lol.
PS: Really and truely I just sent you one for a joke anyway:p I'm supprised you even watched it:D It was more of a memento, so you could and would know me better.:sorry:lol You take care too,ole buddy. CFB

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
1. Oh god John, thanks so much for the excellent bank DVD. My game has improved at least two balls (even though I only play bartables).

2. That tip you gave about using inside on a cross-side bank even though it's not really needed helped me tremendously. Pay no attention to that mean old Cowboy, the inside really makes the shot easier(and the 1st rail target seems to be larger).

3. WOW JOHN, I MADE THREE STRAIGHT-BACK BANKS IN A ROW A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO THANKS TO YOU AND YOUR DVD!!! THE GIRLS COULDN'T BELIEVE IT.

4. Gee John, I wish this DVD had been around when I was in my prime, I would've won many more bank-pool games. Those guys in Blue Rock, Montana and Little Rabbit, Australia and Bumfuck, Egypt wouldn't have had a chance if I had been armed with your wise & knowledgeable DVD.

At least Dennis was thoughtful enough to save me the writing. It helped me win my APA match yesterday, too, against a decent player(you guys would think he's at least a 4!).

There are a lot of reasons I wouldn't use outside. Opening up the angle can create a larger variance, which is magnified on distance shots. Inside forces me to tighten up the angle until I feel comfortable, so it kinda takes some of the guestimation of the angle out of it. And on the wider angles, clipping the long rail before the pocket is usually a deal-breaker, but not so much for the straighter-backs.

I'm probably wrong about everything, but who cares - it works for me.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
:lol Don't worry the next one's FREEEEE !!!!!!:lol.
PS: Really and truely I just sent you one for a joke anyway:p I'm supprised you even watched it:D It was more of a memento, so you could and would know me better.:sorry:lol You take care too,ole buddy. CFB

Yeah, it seems you can't hold your hard liquor too well anyway, maybe I'll send you a Root Beer:).

Apparently I watched the DVD more times than you did and paid attention to it as well:eek:.

See ya' CatfishBreath.

Dennis