Washington DC
which you can find on the home page
http://www.onepocket.org/
very nicely written
great pics
well done steve
:)

Yes, very well done

Interesting to see one of my mentor's name spelled incorrectly on the board in the rear. Bill Spaton? Would think this has to be Beenie - Bill Staton.

Again, very well done. Appreciating and documenting our sport's history is vital

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yes, very well done

Interesting to see one of my mentor's name spelled incorrectly on the board in the rear. Bill Spaton? Would think this has to be Beenie - Bill Staton.

Again, very well done. Appreciating and documenting our sport's history is vital

Yes, the Jansco's spelling seems to have been -- fairly creative, shall we say :)

Speaking of spelling -- the early National Billiard News also featured very inconsistent spelling -- no wonder why there is often confusion to this day as to how to spell some of the old time player's names...

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Yes, the Jansco's spelling seems to have been -- fairly creative, shall we say :)

Speaking of spelling -- the early National Billiard News also featured very inconsistent spelling -- no wonder why there is often confusion to this day as to how to spell some of the old time player's names...

The Johnston part is what always gets me. For some reason it bugs me when I see Johnson City.:)

Man, that was a great write up. I loved reading every bit of it. Amazing how much of a impact they had on the pool world. So many major 1st's.

I find it kind of odd that this Johnny Vives won the onepocket tournament with players such as Boston Shorty, Luther, Joey Spaeth and Squirrel around. I mean with the game being onepocket and probably some long races or many of them, one would think that wouldn't have been the case. Is it possible that maybe some of those guys we're thinking that maybe they didn't want their name splashed around as the champion? Or would the money have been enough incentive? Having so much public exposure, maybe they thought that might have been bad for business:) Or was Johnny really that good?

Man... Luther really "owned" it back then, huh? Dominating!

Another interesting point, was how much effort they put into making it a perfect place to play. These guys didn't just slap the tournament together and have some guys come in and play and leave, they were constantly thinking outside the box and trying to improve each year.

Billy, how about I give you a call at night this week and tape our conversation over the phone and you can tell me what you remember about your experience the year you won. That saves you from typing it. That offer goes for anyone here that was there during any of those years, either as a player or a sweater. I think adding to Steve's work already, we could really have a nice tribute to the brothers and what they did.

Anyone else have some pictures from that decade, of the place? Or one step further... know anyone that might have some pics? I would love to scan any pictures and I promise I would send them back the day after I get them. A lot of you guys know a lot of people and maybe they've never been asked if they had any pictures. And if they don't know, maybe THEY know someone who has some.

We get enough participation and I could make a very nice DVD honoring the 50th anniversary, maybe sell it really reasonable and donate all the proceeds to the onepocket site.

What do you guys think? I would love to donate my time in doing all of this, all I need is you guys to provide onepocket.org with some material.

C'mon.. I'm pumped! There has to be some pictures, with all that coverage. And the stories... c'mon... we'll have a good time shooting the sh1t while doing it.:D

Thanks much for all that effort in putting that together, Steve. I wish there was a whole book about that decade and that place.

Steve has already put a ton of work into all this, let's take it and add even more to it! It would be a labor of love for "our" site. We need everyone to chip in with something. All you guys know someone who knows someone who knows someone. Get on the HORN!!!! Anyone donating pics, would get the originals back along with a CD of all of them scanned at a very high resolution, so they will be preserved forever. Each person would get the proper credit for everything they donate and everything they donate would be entrusted to Steve Booth and onepocket.org's chain of custody. Steve takes very good care of any stuff he gets from people as far as respecting the donator's wishes on how they are distributed.

Steve, if I"m out of line on any this.. let me know. I just get all pumped up on the history of this particular tournament. You make the rules... I'm just throwing out some ideas and offering my services:)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
steve the jansco article "disapeared"
i go to the home page and see the US open 1p article
cant find the jansco article:confused::confused:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
The Johnston part is what always gets me. For some reason it bugs me when I see Johnson City.:)

Man, that was a great write up. I loved reading every bit of it. Amazing how much of a impact they had on the pool world. So many major 1st's.

I find it kind of odd that this Johnny Vives won the onepocket tournament with players such as Boston Shorty, Luther, Joey Spaeth and Squirrel around. I mean with the game being onepocket and probably some long races or many of them, one would think that wouldn't have been the case. Is it possible that maybe some of those guys we're thinking that maybe they didn't want their name splashed around as the champion? Or would the money have been enough incentive? Having so much public exposure, maybe they thought that might have been bad for business:) Or was Johnny really that good?

Man... Luther really "owned" it back then, huh? Dominating!

Another interesting point, was how much effort they put into making it a perfect place to play. These guys didn't just slap the tournament together and have some guys come in and play and leave, they were constantly thinking outside the box and trying to improve each year.

Billy, how about I give you a call at night this week and tape our conversation over the phone and you can tell me what you remember about your experience the year you won. That saves you from typing it. That offer goes for anyone here that was there during any of those years, either as a player or a sweater. I think adding to Steve's work already, we could really have a nice tribute to the brothers and what they did.

Anyone else have some pictures from that decade, of the place? Or one step further... know anyone that might have some pics? I would love to scan any pictures and I promise I would send them back the day after I get them. A lot of you guys know a lot of people and maybe they've never been asked if they had any pictures. And if they don't know, maybe THEY know someone who has some.

We get enough participation and I could make a very nice DVD honoring the 50th anniversary, maybe sell it really reasonable and donate all the proceeds to the onepocket site.

What do you guys think? I would love to donate my time in doing all of this, all I need is you guys to provide onepocket.org with some material.

C'mon.. I'm pumped! There has to be some pictures, with all that coverage. And the stories... c'mon... we'll have a good time shooting the sh1t while doing it.

Thanks much for all that effort in putting that together, Steve. I wish there was a whole book about that decade and that place.

Steve has already put a ton of work into all this, let's take it and add even more to it! It would be a labor of love for "our" site. We need everyone to chip in with something. All you guys know someone who knows someone who knows someone. Get on the HORN!!!! Anyone donating pics, would get the originals back along with a CD of all of them scanned at a very high resolution, so they will be preserved forever. Each person would get the proper credit for everything they donate and everything they donate would be entrusted to Steve Booth and onepocket.org's chain of custody. Steve takes very good care of any stuff he gets from people as far as respecting the donator's wishes on how they are distributed.

Steve, if I"m out of line on any this.. let me know. I just get all pumped up on the history of this particular tournament. You make the rules... I'm just throwing out some ideas and offering my services:)

Greg, if you cozy up to Joanne Jansco, at the next DCC, she may have a treasure trove of pictures, even Steve may not have seen yet.
I went to two of them, '62 or '63 (with Billy Stroud) and '65 I believe I played in it. (not sure) I doubt if any pool player, even owned a camera, back then...Much the same in the Vegas years....Freddy, do you remember the year Ronnie played Fat's to a draw ? (gambling)..or was that your pharmacutical era ?...I was there that year, for sure. May have been our 1st few times of "not meeting" again.

I believe the first year was a "round robin" event wasn't it ? And yes Greg, Johnny Vevis played 'that' good...He could play with anyone from that era, and not be an underdog. He turned into a mainline druggy, shortly after that...Shame, very talented guy, but a real short fused hothead.

He came to California right after winning the '61 JC...(I think RA steered him there) and layed a little lemon down for me playing 9 ball. I didn't know him, and it didn't look like he could play a lick, I beat him for a few hundred..
However, I was barely on training wheels at one pocket...Over the next few days, he gave me a ball, then 2 balls, then 3 balls, before I realized how many I would have needed...He tortured me (and a lot of my stakehorse's) real good. It got very ugly, when he refused to play me 9 ball, (giving him the break).. after robbing me playing 1P. Probably could not have won there anyway, but I had a lot of believers, in those days.

There was no Diane Hoppe, or guy's like you back then. I don't think ANY cameras were even allowed in the tournament room (flashbulbs, remember ?) Also, the earlier crowd was not big on 'exposure'...They got more than any of them really wanted, when WWOS was there. The instant "information age" was still a decade, or two away...I guess you knew that..;)

'Tired Old Duck' <---Those days seem like another life ago, to me...and the mem's are getting a little dimmer every day..:sorry

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
The most amazing collection of Johnston City memorbia is at my local pool hall here in Paducah. The owner is a pool junky and great guy. He has original invitations, pictures, mailings, programs and get this, one of the original tables from the "pit". Everything is signed, and documented. You feel like you have stepped back in time looking at all of this stuff!

I look at it often, when I play there. It is only a few miles away Johnston City and I have often thought about driving up there to see what remains of the original site.

Ken

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The most amazing collection of Johnston City memorbia is at my local pool hall here in Paducah. The owner is a pool junky and great guy. He has original invitations, pictures, mailings, programs and get this, one of the original tables from the "pit". Everything is signed, and documented. You feel like you have stepped back in time looking at all of this stuff!

I look at it often, when I play there. It is only a few miles away Johnston City and I have often thought about driving up there to see what remains of the original site.

Ken

if you make the drive let us know whats there.

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
if you make the drive let us know whats there.

If I go I will take my wife's high end camera and take several photos. I have intended on taking a few pictures of all the stuff in the pool room too but just havent done it yet.

He has offered to let me take anything and make copies of anything on his walls, but frankly I am little nervous. I would hate to be the cause for anything getting lost or torn up.

In this room, there are SEVERAL guys that went to the JC tournament EACH year, obviously because of being so close and Buddy Hall a hometown guy growing up across the river.

I will pass along this story about Buddy. I just heard it last weekend. I was asked if I had known Buddy's brother. "No." I replied. They said he played pretty good, and claimed he often mentioned that HE would have been World Champion if wasnt for that derned old Buddy. (Followed by giggles and laughter in the pool room).

Poolhalls crack me up!

ken

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Johnston city

Johnston city

I was going to college in Owensboro when there was this school teacher pool player showed up at the school and wanted to play nine ball. I hopped over to the game room and quickly lost two sets for $100. He said if I liked pool action to go to Johnston City.
It was a close drive and I went with a room mate. I remember watching a six man, $10 a man, nine ball game with players going 5 or 6 games without a shot. Weenie Beanie, all the top pros. Money was being passed around like water.
The after hours house was actually an old barn where bleachers were set up like a boxing ring. $5 cover to watch Ronnie Allen and Detroit Red play for 5K. The Jansco Brothers honored me by starting the tournament on my birthday, Oct, 25.
The school teacher, The Miz.
The DCC, when it was in Louisville came closest to the atmosphere that was there, gambling style.:lol:heh:lol

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Ken

Any chance of making duplicates? I am sure many players and owners would be interested. Sounds like a book to me.:eek:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

I didn't see anything here that was misspelled. :rolleyes:
Rod.

Attachments

• j.city.jpg
    j.city.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 0

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Different year

Different year

I didn't see anything here that was misspelled. :rolleyes:
Rod.

The year the misspelling of Bill Staton's name was 1961. The first tourn. That was the photo the fellow was talking about. This picture was probably 1962 and I think maybe Eddie "Chris" McGehean's name was really spelled McGeehan. i could be wrong.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I sure was there for Fatty!

I sure was there for Fatty!

Greg, if you cozy up to Joanne Jansco, at the next DCC, she may have a treasure trove of pictures, even Steve may not have seen yet.
I went to two of them, '62 or '63 (with Billy Stroud) and '65 I believe I played in it. (not sure) I doubt if any pool player, even owned a camera, back then...Much the same in the Vegas years....Freddy, do you remember the year Ronnie played Fat's to a draw ? (gambling)..or was that your pharmacutical era ?...I was there that year, for sure. May have been our 1st few times of "not meeting" again.

I believe the first year was a "round robin" event wasn't it ? And yes Greg, Johnny Vevis played 'that' good...He could play with anyone from that era, and not be an underdog. He turned into a mainline druggy, shortly after that...Shame, very talented guy, but a real short fused hothead.

He came to California right after winning the '61 JC...(I think RA steered him there) and layed a little lemon down for me playing 9 ball. I didn't know him, and it didn't look like he could play a lick, I beat him for a few hundred..
However, I was barely on training wheels at one pocket...Over the next few days, he gave me a ball, then 2 balls, then 3 balls, before I realized how many I would have needed...He tortured me (and a lot of my stakehorse's) real good. It got very ugly, when he refused to play me 9 ball, (giving him the break).. after robbing me playing 1P. Probably could not have won there anyway, but I had a lot of believers, in those days.

There was no Diane Hoppe, or guy's like you back then. I don't think ANY cameras were even allowed in the tournament room (flashbulbs, remember ?) Also, the earlier crowd was not big on 'exposure'...They got more than any of them really wanted, when WWOS was there. The instant "information age" was still a decade, or two away...I guess you knew that..;)

'Tired Old Duck' <---Those days seem like another life ago, to me...and the mem's are getting a little dimmer every day..:sorry

I was one of the lucky attendee's to sweat Fatty and Ronnie play to a draw. They were playing for $300 a game. Ronnie was spotting Fatty 9 to 7 and laying him $330 to $300 on the money. It was invitation only to be able to sweat it, because Fats didnt want any square Johns to see him getting spotted. I was just a local yokel then and had no chance of getting in to see Fatty on my own. An old scuff I knew from down there named Lonnie, spoke up for me and brought me in with him. He is the same guy who steered me to Fats for a $20 bite. Nice money back then. It was a fabulous match, they both ran out every time they got or made a shot, and they shot at everything, 2 railers, straight backs, 3 in the corners. I had never seen one pocket played like that before. It was a thrill of a lifetime.

Beard

Strongest thing I took back then was Vitamin C.

Don Smith

Verified Member
Lonnie

Lonnie

Wasn't it actually Lindy, not Lonnie, who introduced you to Fats?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I was one of the lucky attendee's to sweat Fatty and Ronnie play to a draw. They were playing for $300 a game. Ronnie was spotting Fatty 9 to 7 and laying him $330 to $300 on the money. It was invitation only to be able to sweat it, because Fats didnt want any square Johns to see him getting spotted. I was just a local yokel then and had no chance of getting in to see Fatty on my own. An old scuff I knew from down there named Lonnie, spoke up for me and brought me in with him. He is the same guy who steered me to Fats for a $20 bite. Nice money back then. It was a fabulous match, they both ran out every time they got or made a shot, and they shot at everything, 2 railers, straight backs, 3 in the corners. I had never seen one pocket played like that before. It was a thrill of a lifetime.

Beard

Strongest thing I took back then was Vitamin C.

Did you forget the original question..? WHAT YEAR WAS IT ??? Sheesh, somebody has to keep track of 'dese tings'....:cool:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
You're right, Don

You're right, Don

Wasn't it actually Lindy, not Lonnie, who introduced you to Fats?

It was Lindy. It has been so long I got the name screwed up. Lindy has been dead about 25 years at least, right?
I knew him from the times he had come up to Bensingers. Good guy.

Beard