Orcollo v. Chohan: Day 3 Review

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Today was moving day for Tony; he was down 7 and needed to play his best. The first few hours of the day was all Tony as he won six in a row to get back into the contest.

Tony's best tactic had been moving the balls up table and capitalizing on his knowledge of the end game. That tactic worked very well earlier, with him stealing several games from Dennis. The turning point of the match was when Dennis, needing one, erred by failing to concede a ball in Tony's pocket, double kissing it and leaving it in the jaws. Tony then commenced to run eight balls from nowhere, but he needed nine, having scratched early in the game. The ninth ball came up, and Tony inexplicably scratched on the spot shot, leaving Dennis a spot shot for the win, which he put down. After that game, the momentum all turned in Dennis' favor. Tony became clearly fatigued, both mentally and physically, and Dennis began winning all the games back that Tony had won earlier. When the smoke cleared Saturday night, Dennis finished with a 30-21 lead. Tony cannot say he didn't have his chances. But this format means you have to play long sessions if you hope to come from behind and I don't know if his stamina is good enough to play 16 hours on Sunday to win.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yes that scratch was a killer. Dennis is a punishing player for sure. If you give him a little window he will absolutely punish you. Watching him run balls makes getting 8 look automatic, which we all know is not, but the guy almost never misses and he plays great position and understands the straight pool-like moves for opening balls up.

Thanks for the recaps BRLongArm -- on point and well put.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i was switching back and forth with the blues game (figured out how to hook my laptop up to the tv!).... missed this spot shot.

one thing that has struck me though is how many breaks the players are taking. its not a criticism -- they're the ones playing.... but it makes me wonder if that has played a part in any way.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
We are seeing a pattern for sure, of Tony strong in the beginning and then fading. Through the first 11 games, approx. 5-6 hrs in, He went 3 out 5, then went 5 of 6 ending the 10th game 20-23. Then went 1 of 3, then 0 of 5. So in the last 4 hrs. he won 1 game.

I have been liking their sportsmanship. It was good to see them cracking up and joking before the match. They have quickly responded and acknowledged when they have fouled.Tony even corrected Dennis when Dennis tried to spot a ball, because of a coin was not removed as should be, excellent sportsmanship! Their scored ball handling and coin work has been a clean transition from inning to inning.

A few things I am not a fan of; the shooter adjusting the spotted ball, taking a break when it is not your inning, and Dennis calling a ref. on a shot that a player of Tony's ability is not going to foul on, and Tony missed and was rightfully peeved. I felt this was a little gamesmanship on Dennis's part.

BR's point of trying to come back, is right on, for what a marathon it would turn into if Tony comes back. Many hours to come back! I'd like to see it, if I can stay awake! Whitey

unoperro

Verified Member
As for requesting the ref., that is why you have a ref. I don't know the shot but maybe DO felt Tony fouled earlier in the same situation.
A little gamesmanship might be the answer;)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
As for requesting the ref., that is why you have a ref. I don't know the shot but maybe DO felt Tony fouled earlier in the same situation.
A little gamesmanship might be the answer;)

I think it was a shot where Tony was planning to jack up and draw off an OB that was less than an inch away. Anybody could foul on that, but according to the pattern so far, if Tony fouled he would have confessed anyway.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
We are seeing a pattern for sure, of Tony strong in the beginning and then fading. Through the first 11 games, approx. 5-6 hrs in, He went 3 out 5, then went 5 of 6 ending the 10th game 20-23. Then went 1 of 3, then 0 of 5. So in the last 4 hrs. he won 1 game.

I have been liking their sportsmanship. It was good to see them cracking up and joking before the match. They have quickly responded and acknowledged when they have fouled.Tony even corrected Dennis when Dennis tried to spot a ball, because of a coin was not removed as should be, excellent sportsmanship! Their scored ball handling and coin work has been a clean transition from inning to inning.

A few things I am not a fan of; the shooter adjusting the spotted ball, taking a break when it is not your inning, and Dennis calling a ref. on a shot that a player of Tony's ability is not going to foul on, and Tony missed and was rightfully peeved. I felt this was a little gamesmanship on Dennis's part.

BR's point of trying to come back, is right on, for what a marathon it would turn into if Tony comes back. Many hours to come back! I'd like to see it, if I can stay awake! Whitey

Tony fouled twice on way more routine shots than that. He called the ref once in 70 hours of play. I think you are making something out of nothing.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I thought Tony was banking the ball back up table when he scratched. Complete lack of control to try to cut that shot.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Tony fouled twice on way more routine shots than that. He called the ref once in 70 hours of play. I think you are making something out of nothing.

Exactly! You made my point for me, why after 70 hrs. of play did Dennis now call in a ref., for in all appearance the players were graciously excepting fouls upon themselves.

But, I sure am glad they brought in some decent chairs for the players, the first two days looked painful for the big guy sitting in that low uncomfortable chair!

Oh, by the way very fine reviewing, as NH pointed, thanks. Whitey

El Chapo

Verified Member
So, if Dennis hangs on to win this, is he “the better one pocket player”? I suppose it’s up to each individual to decide. It really pains me to say it but it’s very pool like for dozens of hours of pool to be played and two players coming out even.

Btw, so Dennis lost the first one. Do his backers pay him if he wins the second one (even though he’s “even”)?

BRLongArm

Verified Member
So, if Dennis hangs on to win this, is he “the better one pocket player”? I suppose it’s up to each individual to decide. It really pains me to say it but it’s very pool like for dozens of hours of pool to be played and two players coming out even.

Btw, so Dennis lost the first one. Do his backers pay him if he wins the second one (even though he’s “even”)?

Yes. The Swords didn't back him the first time.

El Chapo

Verified Member
Yes. The Swords didn't back him the first time.

That’s nice. And I suppose it would have to work the same for Tony.

Backing is such a strange phenomena because the order you win or lose in can determine if you’re paid or not, depending on the arrangement of course.

BRLongArm

Verified Member

Backing is such a strange phenomena because the order you win or lose in can determine if you’re paid or not, depending on the arrangement of course.

If you stake pool players, you better have a great job. Cause there isn't much money in it.

Jimmy B

Verified Member

If you stake pool players, you better have a great job. Cause there isn't much money in it.

You guys have me thinking about Ronnie Allen's 'Backer Story'.. Most everybody's heard it but if not, it's pretty good.. It's the first four minutes of this vid..

https://youtu.be/IbrGiGlI8jQ?t=50

El Chapo

Verified Member
You guys have me thinking about Ronnie Allen's 'Backer Story'.. Most everybody's heard it but if not, it's pretty good.. It's the first four minutes of this vid..

https://youtu.be/IbrGiGlI8jQ?t=50

That is seriously one of the greatest stories I’ve ever heard. So good. And yeah, that perfectly exemplifies the point I’m talking about when it comes to backing. If the second four parica won woulda been the next evening it may have been a different story. It is just weird how the timing plays such a huge role.