THE RACK and COCHRAN'S...GEATEST POOL ROOMS EVER

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
over on azb a thread on the rack was resurrected
it is a great read
i remember that grady had started 2 threads on cochran's also a legendary action pool room
i remember it as a great read which i will start to reread again
i thought you guys would enjoy the stories in the threads

the rack (frrom azb )
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=123315
cochran's
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1086&highlight=cochrans
cochran's 2
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1086&highlight=cochrans

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
here is a post from Dr. Bill in the azb thread

I played millions of dollors worth of pool at the rack, I didn' stutter, millions. I personally witnessed at least 50 million dollors of pool that was played at The Rack formerly known as Capitol Billiards. The Rack was a reason to get out of bed and not fall asleep, never,you just didn't want to miss any of the action. I played $10,000 & $20,000 a game MANY times, there were nits playing $1,000 a game regularly. Forget about it, there will never, never be another pool room close to The Rack. In retrospect as I look back The Rack was unparalleled, unsurpassed, matchless, beyond compare, it was actually beyond belief period..

This just wasn't a short lived action room, The Rack went on like this for years, it was like dying and waking up in heaven. There were at least 10 huge gamblers that came into The Rack daily.

Pittsburgh John ran $500 into over $300,000 in less than two weeks. He beat Jew Paul Brusloff out of most of the money. The first time he staked me to play Jew Paul I beat him for $50,000 playing one pocket on the snooker table, playing him 8/7. Jew Paul trapped himself with that game. About 6 months prior to me beating him I played him for my own money (cheap) $500 a game, he beat me for $2,000 and bragged about how inexperienced I was and how bad of a game I had. Matter of fact he use to take me to breakfast and tell me that he liked me and why I couldn't beat him, I played his game with him and pretended that I was in awe of him and agreed. Six months later he weighed $50,000.

There were better men than Jew Paul that came into The Rack, men like Jones, big black D---e dealer, he played for $10,000 a game and up.He loved to stake players, particularly black players, Marvin Henderson, Kenny Romberg, Cecil Tugwell, Country, but Country had his own money and bet it himself. Country was one of the smartest pool players ever in life,he never lost for big money,we never played. (I wonder why) Country played Jew Paul one evening and won $500,000. Everyone in the pool room was betting on Country. Jew Paul badly wanted to beat Country,( ego thing)but it never happened. It took Paul several weeks to pay the money,I think most of it got payed. After that session Jew Paul took off a lot of time but was back in action about a month later,just like nothing ever happened.

Al Sherman was another great man ( ask Freddy) smartest conn man on earth,huge money earner in everything but pool. He played worse than anyone that I have ever seen that played for $1,000's, $1,000's he played for 10 and 20 thousand a game. Another guy who would lose two or three hundred thousand on a bad day. Al loved to play one pocket but didn't know the game well,so he would hire a coach and gamble high, he loved to shoot at his pocket, but his coach at the time was Paul Jones, Paul wouldn't let Al shoot at his pocket, but Al was stuck a lot of money and wanted to shoot at his pocket so he fired him in the middle of the game so he could shoot at his pocket. True story.

There are 100's of stories about The Rack, but you really had to be there to believe them.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
here is how grady started off his thread on cochran's
Cochran’s was anything and everything, simply the greatest pool room ever. 1028 Market St. was the actual address. I worked there in 1963. I got paid two dollars an hour and often I’d pay someone five bucks an hour to work for me so I could be in action. Public transportation was $.15. I didn’t own a car and neither did my friends.
Ronnie Allen won the One Pocket tournament there in 1962. When it was over nobody hustled him to play for money. Ronnie gave Earl Whitehead 8 to 5 and the break and won easily. Denny Searcy played Cliff Thorburn to a virtual draw on the 6’ X 12’ snooker table. That was a 40 hour match.
Here is an incomplete list of the regulars, as I remember them, with some assorted shorts:
“Trees”, worked for the post office for a while but liked pool and the race track too much to continue. A warm, honest human being who played decent Banks.
“Legs”, Gerald was his name, a good hustler and better than average shortstop.
“Ears”, smart and clever, a real good game maker.
100 Ball Blackie, still played a nice game in his dotage. We used to kid him and call him 10 Ball Blackie but he used to run 100’s on the 5’ X 10”.
“Kansas City Whitey”, a real rascal, his parents sent him $2,000 a month to stay away from home.
Jesse, “The Go Away Kid”, a flashy young black player with much gamble.
“King of the open table”, so called because on the “open Table” ( a 6’ X 12’ snooker table) anyone could play for the time. The King would go months without losing a single game but wouldn’t play for money.

“One Eyed Hank”, a brilliant but troubled player, spent half of every year at sea, killed himself with an overdose of LSD, or so it was said. I loved Hank and I still miss him.
“Mexican Phil”…A really good One Pocket player, moved like a ghost, was a terrific gambler, but couldn’t leave the bottle alone.
“Okie Sam”…Very good all round player and scuffler. He came from the Eddie Taylor school of pool. He died of cancer, broke and lonely.
Ronnie Allen displayed his power One Pocket game to everybody. He was aggressive and fearless and really unbeatable.
Frank “Bananas” Rodriguez…One of the sharpest gamblers I ever knew. He was a perfect gentleman and a very fine One Pocket player.
Canadian Dick…The resident philosopher. On the 6x12 table by the counter, there was a daily “out hole only” game. To give you an idea how good Dick played, one day in that game, 11 times in a row, he one railed his ball into the out hole. He moved to Burlingame and managed a pet store until he passed away.
“San Jose Dick”…He liked action so much that he would sometimes rent two tables next to each other and play two opponents at once. For awhile, Dick played about as good a One Pocket as anybody in the world.
Jack Perkins…A flashy young and sharp gambler who played One Pocket about a ball under Ronnie.
“Harry the Russian”…Used to hang around with “Bananas”. Harry was a good game maker and took care of himself.
“Hawaiian Paul”…Worked at the Palace down the street. Paul played as good a Nine Ball as anybody in the world but only against weak players and for small money. ($3 to $10 a game) Paul also played very good golf.
Rusty Jones, a high roller and one of the classiest gamblers I ever knew.
Denny Searcy, the best stroke of any player ever. It’s too bad scientists didn’t examine it when he was maybe the best player in the world.
Philipino Gene, a good card player and hustler.
“Oakland Blackie”, Bucktooth’s uncle and a top shortstop.
Earl Phillips, a venerable older player who never said a word but was tough to beat for the dough.
“Sleepy Bob”, a very fine player.
Johnny Vivas, played everything good, too bad he was a heroin addict.
Tugboat Whaley, grand old-timer who was one of the few willing to share knowledge.
While I was there, notable visitors included: Clem, Boston Shorty, Artie from Chicago, Jack Stamper, Eddie Taylor, Richie Florence, Weldon Rogers, Jack Coony, Al the Plumber, Portland Don, Cole Dickson, and Joe Salazar (Tracy Joe then.).
Quite a crew, wouldn't you say?

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Sometimes I would go to Cochran's to play in the payball games there. Normally it was limited to six players at a time. You would have to sigh up on a board and wait for players to quit before your turn came up. You could wait all day before that happened. I can remember many times having to leave before my name was even came close to coming up.

Most impressive player I ever saw there was Denny Searcy. I remember a conversation I had with him once when I said to him that he should take his game on the road and just play games on the snooker table. I still remember him saying to me "how good do you think I play?"

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Sometimes I would go to Cochran's to play in the payball games there. Normally it was limited to six players at a time. You would have to sigh up on a board and wait for players to quit before your turn came up. You could wait all day before that happened. I can remember many times having to leave before my name was even came close to coming up.

Most impressive player I ever saw there was Denny Searcy. I remember a conversation I had with him once when I said to him that he should take his game on the road and just play games on the snooker table. I still remember him saying to me "how good do you think I play?"

He came down to SoCal and I played him some three red ball snooker on the loose 5 x 10s at San Gabriel Lanes pool room. I did not stick around long since it looked like he was playing straight pool with those big pockets.

He also hung around The Billiard Palace in Bellflower for a while and robbed the liability game on the tight 6 x 12 there. He had one of the best strokes I have seen to this day.