who is your favorite player

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
I'm sure you don't mean any disrespect to Titanic. His trickery, and con games were just fun for him. He made most of his money in country clubs, at golf, and cards. I'm sure you are aware, Fat's, Puckett, and Cornbread, looked up to him as the King of ALL hustler's. Even Mr. Cokes said he had never seen anybody with more ball's, and move's, than Ti. He could move in on anybody, Arnold Rothstein, the Shah of Iran, Sonny Liston, and many big name politicians. He put everyone in the loss column in his glory days. He may have even outsmarted you, Arty. Who knows ?

Dick
Only on a rainey day. Its hard to beat some one that wont play unless the no what is haping. I tink I would have got him espcialy if he liked pool. A real Hustler has no weeknesses and doesnt play anything that he doesnt no. AND YOU CAN WRIGHT THAT DOWN.You gave up his weekness and thats all it takes one game thats all. And a real hustler is bulite proff.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Only on a rainey day. Its hard to beat some one that wont play unless the no what is haping. I tink I would have got him espcialy if he liked pool. A real Hustler has no weeknesses and doesnt play anything that he doesnt no. AND YOU CAN WRIGHT THAT DOWN.You gave up his weekness and thats all it takes one game thats all. And a real hustler is bulite proff.

The one thing you might not have considered, Artie, is that as you know, getting "LINES" on people and especially, players, is what's important. There wasn't anyone Ti could not get a line on. Once you have a line on them a smart hustler can turn a trap around. Ti, got lines on everyone, in what ever endeavor he chose to hustle. Ti, could have been a top pro golfer but the cut in pay would have killed him.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
hemicudas said:
The one thing you might not have considered, Artie, is that as you know, getting "LINES" on people and especially, players, is what's important. There wasn't anyone Ti could not get a line on. Once you have a line on them a smart hustler can turn a trap around. Ti, got lines on everyone, in what ever endeavor he chose to hustle. Ti, could have been a top pro golfer but the cut in pay would have killed him.
It is very hard t answer if you dont realy no what a person does and even in gulf or cards every one has weeknesses but the Quistion is will he play before he has the correct line on you. Or will he get the correct line and set up the correct game to beat you. And You can also get the wrong line because the person giving the line is giving you a inccorect line. And then their is a lot more what will he go for . Can he be cheated or not. How smart is he. Will he gamble and bet without having the correct line. And only if you have all these answers can you no how sharp he is. He can be a chapion in one game and a sucker in another. And thats the story with most people. But only a few people no the persons real weekness.And their are not to many gamblers that dont have a weekness for other games. BUt to be able to say that about another person you wopuld have to no everything about them. And that is very hard. And some people hide their weeknesses. And the onl;y way that could be proven is to no what the did and how. I her what people said about Ti. But what did he do that made him great. And who did he do it to. And we need the proff and the evedence. I no Ronnie Gambled at Golf but I dont no howe he did. I no the people he was with and i no what the did and if he was in with them or did what the did I no he won. Because I no the one and the only way you could win is if the let you win. And that would be only to trap you in a nother and bigger game. And if I no who Ti hustled with and worked with that would say a lot and who he played. Was he a champion card player was he a champion card cheater all that comes into play. And I dont have no information on him excepte that he was great and how good he was. But no one gave up any information what made him great. And I could ask you quistions and your answers to the Quistions would verafie what you are saying. And I will only ask on Quistion because I dont want you to think I am interagating you. WAs Ti a card cheater just yes or no. Thank you and I will give you my answer. after you answer the quistion.

Skin

Verified Member
My favorite player was San Jose Dick himself. I used to watch him play in the very early 70s at Times Square Cue Club in Dallas when I was a high school kid. He played an unbelievably skilled, consistent, and intelligent game. Plus, he was always pulling off some shot that nobody else saw or expected him to make even after he called it. It was just beautiful watching him. I never saw him lose, either. He was a great inspiration for a young player to be around.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Detroits Al Sherman

Detroits Al Sherman

Dick Mc Morran said:
Artie,

I don't know this man you speak so highly of. If he had your respect, I'm sure he was a real hustler's, hustler. Titanic managed to stay somewhat under the radar, until very late in life. But, if you could put all the great hi-roller's and hustler's in one room, I'm talking, Coke's, Amarillo Slim, Brunson, Fat's, Sailor, Puckett, Cornbread, or anybody you can name, Ti would get 90% of the votes for best, and smartest, gambler that ever lived. Or you could ask the best golf pro's of his era, Ben hogan, Sam Snead, Walter Hagen, who made the MOST money playing golf. You would get the same answer from them, "Titanic
Thompson", no contest. Ti could have been a top notch pro golfer, but in those day's there was no money in golf. Ti liked to make money.
You've expressed your opinion, and I've expressed mine. You have the wrong horse in this race. JMHO

Dick

P.S Just like your guy, Ti had a little "pool sucker" in him too. Funny coincidence, huh ?

I knew him. Ti would have kept Al Sherman eating out of a garbage can. Sherman was just a "rough" hustler. Most of it worked because he was hooked up with Detroit's Purple Gang. Sherman stuck me up for what I had won in Detroit, at the Rack, after I beat the guy he was staking, James Youngblood Brown. He was an old man at the time and I coulda snatched the pistol from his hand but I knew he had the Purple Gang killer Candy, backing him up in the wings. Earlier I had beat him out of $4.5k playing him 2 block fours. Richie Ambrose beat him out of 90k with the same game. He quit me because he didnt like the squeezing. Richie on the other hand just kept running balls. I would just "leak" four into the pocket. Cardone eventually straightened the beef out, but I did not get the money I won back.

the Beard

Deeman

Verified Member
James Youngblood Brown

James Youngblood Brown

Freddie,

Is James Brown still around? I have not heard his name since the late 1970's but he was a regular in Memphis and played most games well. He had a lot of "strut" in him back then.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
I knew him. Ti would have kept Al Sherman eating out of a garbage can. Sherman was just a "rough" hustler. Most of it worked because he was hooked up with Detroit's Purple Gang. Sherman stuck me up for what I had won in Detroit, at the Rack, after I beat the guy he was staking, James Youngblood Brown. He was an old man at the time and I coulda snatched the pistol from his hand but I knew he had the Purple Gang killer Candy, backing him up in the wings. Earlier I had beat him out of $4.5k playing him 2 block fours. Richie Ambrose beat him out of 90k with the same game. He quit me because he didnt like the squeezing. Richie on the other hand just kept running balls. I would just "leak" four into the pocket. Cardone eventually straightened the beef out, but I did not get the money I won back.

the Beard
Al Sherman would have beat Ti out of all his money and golf clubs. Al Was great. And I herd their were other people way sharper then Ti. All sherman didnt need no muscle he was his own muscle. And none of you people knew him. He loved pool but he didnt like winning in pool or maybe he just like loosing in pool. Al Sherman help out everybody. He was nothing but class. And I made some scores with Al and the were good scores. And nobody did or new what Al did. Al was a class act and he would have had Ti hustling for him. If you realy want a real opinion of all Sherman ask Vince Jackson. Al was like a father to him. And maybe you think Ty could have beat Vince Jackson to playing cards. You guys have to come into the real world and let go of diznie land. I her and see a lot of disneland stories. I would love to have 10% of what All sherman made. And Al didnt have a book out about storyies that grow and get fabrecated. Al Sherman was the real Deal. And he mad people rich. And JUst ask them about Al. I am not going to give their names but the are the ones that no. And the are the sharpest hustlers in the world today. And the learnsd from the great Al sherman. Al will never win a popularity contest over Ti he has no chance. But what all di nobody else did or new. I could give you people who made monster scores with Al. But Everybody has their champion and hero. And thats how it will go down in history. And what Al did will not be wrote about or exposed. And I no Jerry howerd sure felt bad when Al Sherman died. Ti could not have carried Al Shermans shoes.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Skin said:
My favorite player was San Jose Dick himself. I used to watch him play in the very early 70s at Times Square Cue Club in Dallas when I was a high school kid. He played an unbelievably skilled, consistent, and intelligent game. Plus, he was always pulling off some shot that nobody else saw or expected him to make even after he called it. It was just beautiful watching him. I never saw him lose, either. He was a great inspiration for a young player to be around.

Stop it Skin, none of my hats will fit me anymore. Thanks for the kudos, but I have to say, if you never saw me lose, you did not stop in often enough. :rolleyes:

Dick

jay helfert

Verified Member
Artie, there's a good reason they wrote books about Titanic. Even your buddy (and mine) Fats looked up to him. I remember being in Johnston City when Fats was launching into one of his famous soliloquies and the topic of Titanic came up. He proceeded to talk about him for the next hour. And he kept saying TYYYYY, like he was talking about God.

I knew about Al Sherman and saw him in Detroit once or twice at The Rack. He was the one who told me to take my $100 bet somewhere else, when I tried to bet on Jimmy Reid. He said the minimum bet is $500. :)
I know that Al was in on many big scores with Jew Paul and Cornbread among others.

But you need to know Artie that Titanic was making scores that big (and bigger) thirty and forty years before. He was in on the card score over Arnold Rothstein for about 500G's that got Rothstein killed, because he refused to pay.

My feeling is this. If they had met (Ty and Al) they would have ended up being partners, and beaten some rich guy for a million or more. Smart guys are like that, they know when to team up. And what a team they would have been. That's how I feel about that.

I was never that smart and I admit it. I was just good enough to finish second a few times. I know they loved me at 7-11 and Guys and Dolls in New York. I wasn't afraid to play anyone, and lose. But they wised me up for California. I had a record like the Globetrotters out there, sometimes going months between losses. Even the great players looked up to me because I kept booking winners. Of course, like you, I knew who to play, what game to play them and how much to bet. It does make a difference. :)

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
jay helfert said:
Artie, there's a good reason they wrote books about Titanic. Even your buddy (and mine) Fats looked up to him. I remember being in Johnston City when Fats was launching into one of his famous soliloquies and the topic of Titanic came up. He proceeded to talk about him for the next hour. And he kept saying TYYYYY, like he was talking about God.

I knew about Al Sherman and saw him in Detroit once or twice at The Rack. He was the one who told me to take my $100 bet somewhere else, when I tried to bet on Jimmy Reid. He said the minimum bet is $500. :)
I know that Al was in on many big scores with Jew Paul and Cornbread among others.

But you need to know Artie that Titanic was making scores that big (and bigger) thirty and forty years before. He was in on the card score over Arnold Rothstein for about 500G's that got Rothstein killed, because he refused to pay.

My feeling is this. If they had met (Ty and Al) they would have ended up being partners, and beaten some rich guy for a million or more. Smart guys are like that, they know when to team up. And what a team they would have been. That's how I feel about that.

I was never that smart and I admit it. I was just good enough to finish second a few times. I know they loved me at 7-11 and Guys and Dolls in New York. I wasn't afraid to play anyone, and lose. But they wised me up for California. I had a record like the Globetrotters out there, sometimes going months between losses. Even the great players looked up to me because I kept booking winners. Of course, like you, I knew who to play, what game to play them and how much to bet. It does make a difference. :)
If Al Sherman would have gotten ahold of Arnold Rostein Arnold wouldnt have had enough money to buy a bowl of soup. Al did everything. Pool was his weekness and nobody realy new Als Strenghts. And All I am saying just ask the top hustlers and see what the say about Al sherman. I dont want you yo ask some one that doesnt no. And Al made some of the bigest scores in life. And We no that Rose Lost 15 million dollares and I dont think nobody can top that. And when Rose went to Federal court the judge asked Rose how did you lose 15 million dollares in checks. And rose said playing pool. And the judge said didnt you ever win. And Rose said no. And then the judge asked Rose why didny you bet Football or Baseball and Rose Smiled and said what do I no about Football? And Airplain was the best man I ever herd of. And the had some big money people in Det outside of the pool room that got beat for giant money. But again if people dont no the just continue with the same story. And If Ti was in DEt him and Al would have beat some people because thats what the did. And trying to beat each other would be a waste of time.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
If Al Sherman would have gotten ahold of Arnold Rostein Arnold wouldnt have had enough money to buy a bowl of soup. Al did everything. Pool was his weekness and nobody realy new Als Strenghts. And All I am saying just ask the top hustlers and see what the say about Al sherman. I dont want you yo ask some one that doesnt no. And Al made some of the bigest scores in life. And We no that Rose Lost 15 million dollares and I dont think nobody can top that. And when Rose went to Federal court the judge asked Rose how did you lose 15 million dollares in checks. And rose said playing pool. And the judge said didnt you ever win. And Rose said no. And then the judge asked Rose why didny you bet Football or Baseball and Rose Smiled and said what do I no about Football? And Airplain was the best man I ever herd of. And the had some big money people in Det outside of the pool room that got beat for giant money. But again if people dont no the just continue with the same story. And If Ti was in DEt him and Al would have beat some people because thats what the did. And trying to beat each other would be a waste of time.

Arty, you're beating your head against a stone wall, and I'm beginnig to think you have a pretty hard head. I did not now Al,
so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. But neither do you. You obviously do not read books, but even more important, you did not know Titanic, and don't have a clue why he became a legend. He became what he was by earning the respect of every con man and hustler he ever came across. And I'm talking Coke's, Fat's, Cornbread,Puckett, Nicky Vacchi, And later on RA, Cooney,Banana's, Cardone or any other "smart" you can name. And that's only pool. Do you want to get into the card playing legend's ? Benny, Doyle, Sailor, Slim, etc. Now if you think you are right, I gaurantee you I can get staked to put up any amount of money you want to bet, on your
"super hustler" guy. I' m sure he's good, but it would be like Tiger playing golf, with Freddie the Beard.
You have berated Ti, as some kind of "Disnyland" guy who was just a flash in the pan. I'm not mad at you, but I've had enough ! Put up your $30,60,180,360K....You can't hi-roll your way out of this one.
YOU pick the judge's (within reason) and I will guarantee you, you WILL LOSE !
Bottom line Arty, put up or shut up, (or at least calm down) and for once in your life, admit you are wrong. :eek:

One Pocket Dick

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
Stop it Skin, none of my hats will fit me anymore. Thanks for the kudos, but I have to say, if you never saw me lose, you did not stop in often enough. :rolleyes:

Dick

I think you're being too modest about it, Dick. I played at a lot of other places around Dallas besides Time Square but when the word was out that you were matched up, we'd all try to come down to watch.

I saw a lot of your playing and two instances stick out in my mind right now. I'll share them with you.

Once was when a couple of road players came through and were picking folks off right and left in there. One of them eventually matched up with you. Nine ball, I think. You had a thin cut along the bottom rail and said, "I'm going to bring it (the cb) back through here.", indicating an impossible track between two balls given the shot. The guy scoffed and when you did it the blood drained from the his face and he turned white. I guess he finally realized what he had gotten himself into.

The other was a 3 day marathon with Steve Hines and Johnny B. from Denton. You took a G off Hines and when he went home to rest, you took another off Johnny. When Steve came back, you took another two from him. I was there for most of that. And boy did I ever catch it when I got home finally!

Anyway, I probably sound like a kid bragging about his hero and I don't mean to embarass you by it, but all of us who were coming up really were in awe when you played. And nobody around there during that time played better.

Now that's my story (and vote) and I'm sticking to it...

Best wishes.

Skin

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
Arty, you're beating your head against a stone wall, and I'm beginnig to think you have a pretty hard head. I did not now Al,
so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. But neither do you. You obviously do not read books, but even more important, you did not know Titanic, and don't have a clue why he became a legend. He became what he was by earning the respect of every con man and hustler he ever came across. And I'm talking Coke's, Fat's, Cornbread,Puckett, Nicky Vacchi, And later on RA, Cooney,Banana's, Cardone or any other "smart" you can name. And that's only pool. Do you want to get into the card playing legend's ? Benny, Doyle, Sailor, Slim, etc. Now if you think you are right, I gaurantee you I can get staked to put up any amount of money you want to bet, on your
"super hustler" guy. I' m sure he's good, but it would be like Tiger playing golf, with Freddie the Beard.
You have berated Ti, as some kind of "Disnyland" guy who was just a flash in the pan. I'm not mad at you, but I've had enough ! Put up your $30,60, 180,
240 K and YOU pick the judge's (within reason) and I will guarantee you, you WILL LOSE !
Bottom line Arty, put up or shut up, (or at least calm down) and for once in your life, admit you are wrong. :eek:

One Pocket Dick
You dont have a clue what you are talking about not a clue. And If you wnat to match up hwith some card plarers you can do that to.Tell me what card game and I will can both get a player. And Backgamon. When I wrote about Al sherman I was talking to Freddy not you. And I no Freddy was bitter twords Al Because the had thier differences and words. I red that silly book about tie and the made up stories. I want to talk about real people and caracters. Not some made up story about some one traveled around couldnt carry Al shermans shoes. Every one knows how much big mone was in Detroit and all Sherman was the king. And Billy mite be one of the few that no what Al Sherman was about. AL was the king in Detroit and he didnt have to go anywere either to play. Because of all the money that was their. And Al traveled all over. He just didnt advertise were we went and when. Will Al Sherman would have beat all those people out of their money. And IT would be nice to her Billies opinion of Al and Ti and who will get the money. I would take all in anything but pool. And their are other people that I no are for real that I would bet on. I will put up my card players and none of your card players will play them. And I no Doyle. And I would even take chip Resse over all those players you mentioned. And I dont think any of your card players would play the people I would get. I cant figure out what you want to bet on. I no Al sherman was for real and I no one man that knew them both. And he said nobody would have beat Al Sherman or out hustled him nobody. And I would even like to bet that Al won % times the amount of money that Ti won. Were you in on any of Ti scores. I no I was in on three of Al Shermans scores and I never seen ayone else in life do what he did. Those set up gimmicks that are in the book only a complete idiot would go for that. Because anyone with a half a brain doesnt play another mans proposition and the were silly bets. Billy has the answer and he knowes the truth even in cards. And Stue Unger was one of the best card players. And playing Gin he mite have been the best ever in life.Do you have any clue how much money was won in Detroite. I didnt betray Ti I didnt even no him how can you betray someone you dont no. I Am a Al Sherman Fan And thats my man. ANd IF you people dont no him then how can you say anything. I am not worried about losing I have lost before. But you have to explain the bet to me and the rules. I will put up just tell me what we are betting on. Because I dont understand it. And I dont even no you. But that does not matter wethier I no you or not. Just tell me what the game is and the rules. And all the stories I herd about Ti was like a cartoon caracter these of the wall carnival games.THat are all premeditaded and fixed. And I did admite that I was Wrong and Freddy was wright. When he said the fought on north Ave new. And I said Folerton. But I admited to Freddy I was wrong because I no him. I dont no you and with you I am always wright. BUt I sugjest you let me no what you want to bet on. And I would be happy to match up with you. And mabe you can get Billy to answer and ask him who would win the money. Unless he wants to say the were both great and defusie it. Billy is a good gambler and he will gamble at maney games. He mite even be the favorite over TI. So let me no what the bet is and the rulles and we can put up with Varner Or Billy Or if that doesnt work . We can get a safty deposite box and nobody can get in the box unless we both sign ore name THat makes it pretty lagit. And their are very sharp people out their but their not like us . THe listen instead of talking. Al Sherman is still number one and I no he won big money. And Al playing Ti would be LIke Tiger Woods playing FReddy head up pinochale. Freddy would have the nuts. Freddt does some things better then anyone else. But you dont no Freddy eiteir and I do. And To me Ti was not realistic. And he was made up. And I belive in santa clause and I belive in superman. And I belive I can fly. And you dont have to calm down or shut up. Remember this is a free country. And get to excited is bad for peoples health. It causes strokes and stress when you get old. If Billy doesnt answer I win house rules.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Feeling pretty mellow tonight. Hope I don't get a DWP !!!!

Well Artie, I may have succeeded at one thing already. I have gotten you to move the center of the "hustling universe" from Chicago to Detroit.
And talk about having a stroke ! My blood pressure is 120/70, with no med's yet. Whats yours ?
I think you believe that saying the same thing over and over, sentence after sentence, will somehow make you right.This bet has no more chance of coming off than the partners pool game did. I thought I made it very clear what I wanted to bet on, but you chose to try and confuse things just like the "flat store carny" that you are so proud of being.
I am sure you and your guy Al took off more big scores than this "over the hill" pool player ever did. But if you let me have Ti as a partner (and use today's $$$$) you may come up a little short. None of this can ever be proven, but I sure have a lot of fun taunting you with it. If I knew how to set up a poll, I would like to see who would get the most votes as to which "famous hustler" would be most likely to get his life story told in a movie.
Arty Who ?, Al Who ?, Dick Who ? Freddy Who ?, or Alvin C. "Titanic Thompson" Thomas ? Disney may pick up the rights. :)
Its been fun Arty. (although a little juvenile of us.) I hope if, or when we ever meet, we can have a drink and laugh about all this. 'Til then keep your spirit's up, your blood pressure down, and your powder dry. :eek:

"Titanic Dick"
(Hey, I like the sound of that !! Webster; ti-tan-ic, Huge, oversize, larger than life, dick; Slang for...oh well, you get it.)

P.S. And please don't ever get "tushy" with me Arty. Ronnie Allen will tell you how hard I hit ! ( Booth has warned me to explain all my attempts at humor, so just for you Steve....that WAS a joke.) :D

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Duplicate post.

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Just to keep stirring it...

Just to keep stirring it...

This one is after Dick's story on my blog:

"Dick, just for you I'll tell the only Titanic story that I have. I seen him in action only once down in Johnston City in the early 60s. He must have been 70 yrs old but he had 3 young girls traveling with him. He laid down a spread with an unwitting kid from Chicago named Tennesee Willy. Ti lost $400 to Willy playing 1pkt for 30 and 40 a game. He never made a ball and was acting semi-senile. Willy was a very loud obnoxious player and attracted a lot of attention. I knew Willy very well and he really thought the game was on the square, and was giving Ti plenty of "raspberries." I overheard the smart guys whispering that Ti was probably over the hill and was now a ripe target. The next day Ti had his choice of good games. He locked somebody up good, I forgot who, but I remember the bet. His first bet was naturally, $400 a game!"

One of Al Sherman's talents was he was a hold-out card man. He was as subtle as a drunken elephant. I was in with him (before he got mad at me for not dumping somebody for $200, and labeled me a "sucker" after that, and someone not worthy of winning his money -- even tho he thought he was going to beat me out of mine with James Brown) when he played Greek Rummy in the card room at the Rack. They used to play 6, 7 handed for big money. Al would play with extra cards, when it came up where he would have to "clean-up" the extra cards in his hand, his smooth move was to just dump them on the floor. As I stated earlier, a very "rough" hustler.

It's amazing, I say the guy stuck me up for $1600 that I had won off him and my old pal says he's a high class guy because he made some money with him. The few people that jerked him around I wrote them off for life.

the Beard

the Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jay helfert said:

Jay,

The Rack peaked during my time out, but I have heard a ton of stories about the place, mostly from RA, Puckett, and Red. Also most involved Jew Paul, and the mega-scores in his resume. Must have been quite a joint, with a few "pool degenerate millionaires", surrounded by all the smart scuff's in the country. The words "feeding frenzy" come to mind.
I did not know this guy Artie's so high on, but I did know Ti. He was surely no angel, but he had a code of ethics very similar to Mr. Cokes. He DID NOT have a "If you can't beat 'em, join em" mentaliity. If he, and Cokes had stumbled into a place like the Rack, it's quite likely they would have figured out a way to get ALL the $$$$, smart's and sucker's alike. And they might have been the only two guy's in the world who would have gotten out with the cash.

Dick

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Dick Mc Morran said:
Jay,

The Rack peaked during my time out, but I have heard a ton of stories about the place, mostly from RA, Puckett, and Red. Also most involving Jew Paul and his mega-losses. Must have been quite a joint, with a few "pool degenerate millionaires", surrounded by all the smart scuff's in the country. The words "feeding frenzy" come to mind.
I did not know this guy Artie's so high on, but I did know Ti. He was surely no angel, but he had a code of ethics very similar to Mr. Cokes. He DID NOT have a "If you can't beat 'em, join em" mentaliity. If he, and Cokes had stumbled into a place like the Rack, it's quite likely they would have figured out a way to get ALL the $$$$, smart's and sucker's alike. And they might have been the only two guy's in the world who would have gotten out with the cash.

Dick
Al Sherman did everything and what he did in the RAck was all nonsesns and peanuts. I no Some of the people Al made scores with and the didnt play pool and the didnt hang out at theb Rack. Al Was no angle but its hard to be a monk and when all that mone. To win big money you have to take advantage of people. And Hubart cooks would have lost his money with Al Sherman. And If you one the money in the rack their was no problem. And we no hubert cooks was a very tougb man and so was my friend chuck Madox who got shot in the head in peoria point blank. And none of these killers whould have had a chance with Al Sherman. Because of who he was and who he had behind him. And Ronnie Allen was only a few times in the rack he didnt spend time to much time their. And he played Bugs thier I think. Bugs said him and Ronnie played 3 times and he won twice. Al sherman was not a pool hustler All Sherman did evervthing. And hubert cooks had no chance against those people. And I guess you think hubert cooks would have been a tough guy against Al CApone. You have to understand cooks was bad and tough against tough guys . But when it comes to killers its a different ball game. And some of the people Al made scores with are filty rich. But I am no going to mention their names. You keep your opion and I will keep meine. At least their will be a few people that didnt no Al that will no him now. And Al was the grandady of all the hustlers. And If some one realy new him and you would her their side of the story. THen you would get a better understanding of Al Sherman. And his games were diferent then Ti. Did the cheat Arnold Rosteen when the one the money? THe made him a Tv caracter to . But movies make up a lot of things that arent true . And all the are woried about is how meny people are going to come to see the movie. And when you put in actresses like Barbara Strisein it will draw. And the movie the hustler was anthing but hustling and FATS> It was a straight pool movie and all it had was two straight pool players getting together and playing straight pool. And Paul Newman played the part of a drunk and a sucker. The movie was all about EGO. And no backer in real life would have let paul newman lose the money back after he had the money. thats why their hustling to win the money. And if I was the backer I would have pulled up my player and said we will play tomarrow. Because he had the money and could dick tate. And if he wanted his money and go off drunk. I would haveb given him his money if he would have wanted his money and not listen to me. And IO would have told him will splite the money and go and get you another backer. And that is what would happen in the real world. And the public loves nonses and it sells. But a real hustler would no do what he did in the move. especialt Fats. And when he beat the guy were the broke his thumbs a hustler is not going to show off if he is trying to hustle upenough money to play Fats straight pool again. And he could have kepte beating the player close games and he could have one all the money and made it look good and nothing would have happened. And the picked the worst games to use in a hustling movei. And then with insulte the used the greatest straight pool player in life to hold the stakes. Willie Moscone. What a insulte. And Willy was a better swowmen in pool then Paul Newman and Jackie Glesspon. He should have been the straight pool player. But It is hard for me to realize that willy would take such a much part. After being the greatest exabition player in life. And the best straight pool player in life. The should have used nine ball or one pocket or eight ball. But to show a hustling move and bar hustling and then play straight pool. Well that explains TV. but thats the way the story went. And dont ever belive that a tough guyor killer will win against a real gangster.A gangster will win 99% of the time you will be dead before you get a chance to go for your gun. The have the mortale nuts when the kill you and the dont give you 1% chance. And thier is no will give him a chance and then kill him the kill you when you least excpect it and the give you no chance. This will no be like Billy the Kid in a gun fight. But people have to no the difference. And HUbert Cokes was a bad man. And people were plenty scared of him. But you have to look at the people who were scared of him. And hubert Cooks was a classy man. And I am sure Varner can give you a good opion of huberty cooks. I would like to ask you were you in with Ti on any of his scores. And was Ti a card cheater? I would say yes because it would be hard to belive the beat Arnold Rostein on the square. And Ty had all made up gimmick games but I dont no how the took him off cheating or on the square? Freddy made a score for 8 hundred thousand so we will put him in their with TY ok. What you think Freddy. And I would back Freddy playing Ty head up pinochale put Freddy would have went for some of Ty traps I think. But maybe not. Was Ty a con man or a traper. Evile canivale was great at stunts put he wasant to good as a gambler. To be in the class with the greatest hustlers you have to have no weeknesses. And that field is very small.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Arty,
Once again, you have strayed way off topic. Now you want to debate which gang was meanest, or had the best hit men. Purple gang, Sammy G, Al Capone, The N.Y. bosses or Al Sherman, Hubert Cokes and Titanic. The latter two did not aspire to associate themselves with gangs, but they sure weren't afraid of them, and dealt with them in their own way !
Do you really think you are making a statement of any kind ?
I was trying to make a point with Jay, (and he probably knows better than me) about how really smart and respected, Ti and Coke's were, in their day.
They spent a good part of their lives dealing with dangerous phsyco's, at times, but mostly with suckers (and a lot of very smart businessmen) They may have looked at the Rack, weighed the risk,reward, and passed on it. You or I will never know.
I thought we were talking about pool player's, card cheat's, sucker's and con men. Somehow we're are off on killer's and mob connections.
It's obvious we lived in two different world's Arty, also there appears to be no room for humor in your world, its ALL about the money, isn't it. I'm going to leave you with your lifetime of rememberences.
I'll just keep mine, thank you.

Nice talking with you,

Dick

P.S By the way Arty, you missed the whole point about the movie "the Hustler"...It wasn't about pool.... it just had pool in it !

Last edited:

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
...my Favorite...least Favorite....and charactor.....

...my Favorite...least Favorite....and charactor.....

...my Favorite player was and is....Ronnie...(...the player you love to hate...lol...).....least Favorite was...Joe Veasy...and most memorable charactor...was....Heart Attack Jack...(...more than once faked a heart attack to shark the other player...lol..)