Pocket A whaddya say?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
lll said:
just like i beleive the push out rule going to ball in hand ruined 9 balll i also beleive allowing jumping in one pocket is blasphemy. just one old farts opinion.
if the concensus agrees i would still like to share the crown with rod if you all agree :) this opportunity doesnt happen very regularly for me:D

I WOULD get up out of the electric chair, to stop my opponent from shooting a "jump shot in one pocket,...with a jump cue.
You're right lll, that is blasphemy AND sacrilage. As far as I'm concerned...you play with what brung ya..If thats old school, so be it !.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
lll said:
if the concensus agrees i would still like to share the crown with rod if you all agree :) this opportunity doesnt happen very regularly for me:D

Larry......When you were 6 years old, you must have been the nice kid who shared his toys...:)...go read my post #34 willya...:cool:...

The crown is all yours (well, yours and Papie's maybe), you don't have to be nice and (incorrectly) share it with Rod....:rolleyes:

- Ghosty

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Whoah, whoah, whoah --I used my playing cue. I am AGAINST the jump cue in ANY game, ANY time.

I feel 9-ball should be playing cue only, break cue used for the break, NEVER to jump. Masse, jump, etc, MUST be executed with the playing cue.

I feel one pocket is a ONE cue game - NO masse stick, no jump stick, NO break stick(lke a certain book suggests) and no LAG stick, thats all garbage - man against man, cue as a weapon, on a table.

And I'd make Grady spot a ball if he used his "inside english cue".

That limits people to the talent in their hands, and the knowledge in their brain.

We all have our opinion, Guess thats mine.

lll said:
just like i beleive the push out rule going to ball in hand ruined 9 balll i also beleive allowing jumping in one pocket is blasphemy. just one old farts opinion.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
One Pocket Ghost said:
Larry is the winner! - see post#6....

I'm giving a One Pocket lesson all afternoon tomorrow, and I would use this layout as an excellent learning example...which (and only if the 1ball is not makeable), I analyze like this:

Yesterday, I looked at, considered, almost liked, but eliminated CaliRed and Steve's shots - they're cute shots, probably productive, but...you could easily, slightly lose the cueball in the cluster and sell out - also, you may leave your opponent being able to see the balls by your pocket, and allow him to reverse things...and lastly, these two shots can be described by a phrase that Freddy likes to use: "You don't need these shots"....with the 1, 15, 3, 5, 6, and 12 balls already laying perfect for you - you don't need more balls on your side - you want a trap...

Now, as for the kicking of the 11 ball...other than Larry, everybody has wanted to kick the 11 ball harder, and have the cueball rebound off of the bottom rail to some or another area behind the stack....the reason that this shot is not the right shot is - it's a small cluster - you can't precisely control the cueball, and you are very likely to leave a window, allowing your opponent to reverse things, or at the very least, come off the left side of the 5ball and snooker you behind some ball or another...

I say the right shot is to spin very softly off the long rail, graze the 11ball and end up behind it...and the whole key is to, get the snooker at all costs! - if that means hitting the bottom rail first, without grazing the 11ball, and then freezing behind the 11ball, thus scratching - that's not first choice, but that's ok too...now, froze behind the 11, he's in a total trap - how could he get out of there without selling out - the way that the balls on the table so strongly favor your pocket, froze behind the 11 is where you want your opponent to be.

- Ghost
Very interesting anaylis Ghost with which I totally agree. Get him behind the 11 any way you can.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
lll said:
if you could do this for me this is the shot (page 2). you get rid of his ball. put another ball by your pocket. AND keep the cue ball CLOSE to the stack to limit hi replies.
please someone go thru the 4 pages of mty post( #28) and give me feedback to learn

I did say page 2 was a great shot. I only got there 3 out of 15 times. Even after leaving the cue ball behind the stack there is still a reply to escape from. However, I can leave the cue ball behind the 11 all 15 times, that escape is almost impossible.

I looked at all 4 pages. I dont think I can draw from being stuck against the 9. I like shooting the 9-7 combo if you care to leave on that side of the stack.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
newfosgatesucks said:
I opted for the jump shot - the little 'hop' is Easily controlled. You can stay under(the first retarted trapezoid shape) or play on top of the balls(preferred) to run least four, AT LEAST!! Anyone who can spell one-pocket has a high percentage chance of getting 6, maybe out.

Additionally, if you jump better with draw(as most do) you will snag, and clip the ball by his pocket - and have a shot. Might make it, might get a shot on it too. I see many good rewards, for virtually no risk.

Blackeee should recognize this shot, I put it on him the other day.
Just a small return for the torment he has given me since we've been playing.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3APom3BCqJ3CGQJ4DAMd3ETde2FWla4GBjO3HDfT4IAMA4JOsN4KVEX2LaWr4MSDL3NVNN3ONEj3PEKr3Qcxt4Rcxr4SOIa3WGQJ3WGAJ3kEKr3kOBa3kDIk4kNKw4kQeY4kVrs4kNrD4kJSV4kNSx4kbwY2kUKs2kaAO2kRxO2kSpj2kaKe2kaYa2kaYW2qQtFYou_have_Pocket_A&What_do_you_do?&Hooked_on_the_1,_the_3-1_leaves_you_without_a_shot_if_you_shoot_the_combo.__&ZZ2rHOF&ZZ@
[/CUETABLE]

I recognized it but you were asking for other opinions. I want whitey behind the 11.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Now if the balls were laid out a little differently, as in this wei example that I've given...with a larger/longer stack, a lesser amount of balls lying perfectly on my side to protect, and an 11ball not as big and easy to hide behind - and now lying at the optimum amount off of the rail for being kicked (in the original wei layout it wasn't)...then, in this case, I would shoot the firmer kick shot that Smitty and Doc suggested in the original layout, kicking the 11 all the way to my pocket, or into the 15 and 1balls.....and this changed, longer kicking angle has a much better chance of having the cueball end up in the stack >>>

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3APom3BCqJ3CGhF3DAdn3ETde3FAmd4GAlO3HDfT3IBal4JOsN4KQvi3LFaY4MSDL3NVNN3ONlg3PEKr3Qcxt4Rcxr4SenB3WGhF3WGAJ4fQvi4fQvi3kEKr3kDtr@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
You are right Larry, Rod and Billy's shot is not on - you would have to cut the 3, thus bumping the cluster and maybe selling out the 4-11 combination, or whatever....the point is, with any of these other shots, things could go very wrong, or at the very least, leave windows open - but freezing the cueball behind the 11ball is a 100% sure-thing-trap...:cool:

- Ghost

PS, I wish the DCC was next week, so we could gamble in person with this scenario....:cool:
Ghost, are you serious when you say this shot is not on? The 3 ball is at least 1/3 of a ball in front of the 8 ball, positioned quite conveniently to fall comfortably behind the 8 ball. I shot this shot at least 10 times and had no problem with it. 70% of the time the 3 ball went in front of the pocket and the cue ball either froze to the 8, or went behind it.

If your really serious about gambling with this shot you'll not only lose but you will quit very early in the contest.:p I'm 100% sure about this.

Positioning the cue ball behind the 11 ball is a very good shot, but it certainly isn't a 100% sure thing trap, as you will see when we meet.

RODNEY WINS.:D

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Money lost on jump shots....

Money lost on jump shots....

SJDinPHX said:
I WOULD get up out of the electric chair, to stop my opponent from shooting a "jump shot in one pocket,...with a jump cue.
You're right lll, that is blasphemy AND sacrilage. As far as I'm concerned...you play with what brung ya..If thats old school, so be it !.

The amount of money I have lost on somebody using a jump cue on me is....ZERO! I aint allowed one to be used on me in my whole career.

Beard

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
It is easy to see things are ugly for him when you put him here, I cannot deny. But the thing is, it is ugly for ONE INNING.

You now will be shooting from your pocket, and forced to leave him uptable to remove your balls, shoot his dead carom and duck, or else you too will take a foul behind his ball/tick off it.

Either option you choose, you have an amount of risk, with the only reward being that you preserve your position (which is not completely preserved).

I stick to my guns, there is less risk in the 1/4 ball hop than there is having a kicking war with a player equal to or better than me, and getting put where I myself destroy my good position. While possibly taking a foul to keep it.

And, FWIW, I see a reward of 6 balls. After you get them play wide shape for the kick to your pocket and go behind the stack.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3APom3BCqJ3CGQJ4DAMd3ETde2FWla4GBjO3HDfT4IAMA4JOsN4KVEX2LaWr4MSDL3NVNN3ONEj3PEKr4QTQY4RXAj4SOIa3WGQJ3WGAJ4fVEX4fTQV3kEKr4kbrH4kbrH4kXYa4kXAj4kXAj4kWrm4mXAj2mDYl2mJyQ3maqI3mRUf2qQtFYou_have_Pocket_A&What_do_you_do?&Hooked_on_the_1,_the_3-1_leaves_you_without_a_shot_if_you_shoot_the_combo.__&ZZ2rHOF&ZZ1sCYFEnter_Text_Here&ZZ1tMEFEnter_Text_Here&ZZ@<b@[/CUETABLE]

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:
Ghost, are you serious when you say this shot is not on? The 3 ball is at least 1/3 of a ball in front of the 8 ball, positioned quite conveniently to fall comfortably behind the 8 ball. I shot this shot at least 10 times and had no problem with it. 70% of the time the 3 ball went in front of the pocket and the cue ball either froze to the 8, or went behind it.

If your really serious about gambling with this shot you'll not only lose but you will quit very early in the contest.:p I'm 100% sure about this.

Positioning the cue ball behind the 11 ball is a very good shot, but it certainly isn't a 100% sure thing trap, as you will see when we meet.

RODNEY WINS. It's Sat. morning and I just woke up 11:00 am. I couldn't wait to go onto one pocket.org to see if my challenge was accepted. I believe it was because The Ghost posted LARRY WINS on post #53 which confirmed to me that we got action.

This prop is a sure thing (sorry Larry) and when you have a sure thing it is WISE to bet as much as possible.:) I realize that The Ghost can't cover everything that I would be willing to bet but i'll accept wagers from his supporters. It doesn't have to be cash, old cues,used cars,pre owned clothes,gift cards, even coupons from Krogers are acceptable. Get the drift. If you can't carry it, put it on a trailer attached to your car, rent a truck, do anything you have to do but just be there with my stuff.

My daughter graduates in June (CHICAGO) THAT'S WHEN THIS HEIST WILL TAKE PLACE. Chris's Billiards (i'm willing to give up home court) I would like to play in the afternoon because I will probably want to take my daughter out for an early dinner. Sorry if anyone misses it there will probably only be a matinee (unless The Ghost is held at gunpoint):eek:

I don't want to scare anyone...especially The Ghost..but when im against the 11 ball and I reposition the cue by my side pocket ,he'll have something to think about.:confused: Plus there are several other possible outs to this 100% sure-thing-trap. Be there in June To watch The Ghost's disappearing act.:eek:

ps. Rod i'll put you in for a free 25%

RODNEY ROCKS..RODNEY WINS

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i think newfosgatesucks wins!!:eek: he jumped using his regular cue, made 6 balls and ultimately won beating blackeee by the sound of it.sounds like a winner to me.:p
p.s. whats so strong about leaving the cue by the side pocket? inquiring minds want to know:confused:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
billy its hard to bet against you and its hard to bet against the ghost. especially when he so eloquently explained what a genius i am:)
so until the shootoff occurs and the winner is proclaimed im proud to be at the least a 1/3 winner with rod ,nfs and me.:D (i still think nfs 1/3 of the crown is the bigger share since he made some balls, got up in the score and probably won the game)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
lll said:
i think newfosgatesucks wins!!:eek: he jumped using his regular cue, made 6 balls and ultimately won beating blackeee by the sound of it.sounds like a winner to me.:p
p.s. whats so strong about leaving the cue by the side pocket? inquiring minds want to know:confused:
Larry, by repositioning the cue ball by the side pocket your forcing your opponent to execute another move to trap you (again) if he can. So if you can invision slightly moving the 11 ball and repositioning the cue ball near the rail by the side what would his next move be? Keep in mind you don't want to move the 11 ball too much because it's a ball he'll have to defend against. With Rodneys shot you will reposition the 3 ball very near the pocket and position the cue ball behind the 8, there is no escape from there.

Kicking the 11 ball is a good option but it's not like the Ghost says 100% sure-thing-trap. There are escapes on both sides of the 11 ball, where there are no escapes with Rodney's shot. If Rod's shot was not available I would kick the 11 ball.

Last edited:

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
wincardona said:
Larry, by repositioning the cue ball by the side pocket your forcing your opponent to execute another move to trap you (again) if he can. So if you can invision slightly moving the 11 ball and repositioning the cue ball near the rail by the side what would his next move be? Keep in mind you don't want to move the 11 ball too much because it's a ball he'll have to defend against. With Rodneys shot you will reposition the 3 ball very near the pocket and position the cue ball behind the 8, there is no escape from there.

Kicking the 11 ball is a good option but it's not like the Ghost says 100% sure-thing-trap. There are escapes on both sides of the 11 ball, where there are no escapes with Rodney's shot. If Rod's shot was not available I would kick the 11 ball.

Now this makes a lot of sense to me--thanks for the insight. One of the best posts ever.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3APom3BCqJ3CGQJ4DAMd3ETde2FWla4GBjO3HDfT4IAMA4JOsN4KVEX2LaWr4MSDL3NVNN3ONEj3PEKs3Qcxt4Rcxr4SenB3WGQJ3WGAJ4fVEX4fTpc3kEKs4kbqP4kXYT4kWbi4kWjf2qQtFYou_have_Pocket_A&What_do_you_do?&Hooked_on_the_1,_the_3-1_leaves_you_without_a_shot_if_you_shoot_the_combo.__&ZZ@3APom3BCqJ3CGAJ4DAMd3ETde2FWla4GBjO3HDfT4IAMA4JOsN4KTpc2LaWr4MSDL3NVNN3ONEj4PWjf3Qcxt4Rcxr4SenB3WGQJ3WGAJ3kEKs4kbqP4kXYT4kWbi4kWjf2qQtFYou_have_Pocket_A&What_do_you_do?&Hooked_on_the_1,_the_3-1_leaves_you_without_a_shot_if_you_shoot_the_combo.__&ZZ@3APom3BCqJ3CGAJ4DAMd3ETde2FWla4GBjO3HDfT4IAMA4JOsN4KTpc2LaWr4MSDL3NVNN3ONEj4PWbf3Qcxt4Rcxr4SenB4fTpc4fREc4kWjf4kVtX4kbft4kXrX2qQtFYou_have_Pocket_A&What_do_you_do?&Hooked_on_the_1,_the_3-1_leaves_you_without_a_shot_if_you_shoot_the_combo.__&ZZ@3APom3BCqJ3CGAJ4DAMd3ETde2FWla4GBjO3HDfT4IAMA4JOsN4KREc2LaWr4MSDL3NVNN3ONEj4PXrX3Qcxt4Rcxr4SenB2qQtFYou_have_Pocket_A&What_do_you_do?&Hooked_on_the_1,_the_3-1_leaves_you_without_a_shot_if_you_shoot_the_combo.__&ZZ@3APom3BCqJ3CGAJ4DAMd3ETde2FWla4GBjO3HDfT4IAMA4JOsN4KREc2LaWr4MSDL3NVNN3ONEj4PXrX3Qcxt4Rcxr4SenB2qQtFYou_have_Pocket_A&What_do_you_do?&Hooked_on_the_1,_the_3-1_leaves_you_without_a_shot_if_you_shoot_the_combo.__&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]