Scott/efren alittle later

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I think you may have hit on something with your shot, but the angle may not be conducive to break the cluster. If so I would still shoot it, but put emphasis on controlling the cue ball which is the more important part of the shot. Notice that you'll be shooting over the 5 ball which will certainly diminish your accuracy:eek: Just try to get a good hit and control the cue ball. It's not going to be easy.;) But an option worthy of consideration.

Dr. Bill
I still like banking the 1 ball, even if you can't hit the cluster the shot gets a lot done. Like I mentioned earlier it moves the 1 ball clearing his side opening up more options for Frost at a later time. And if he can draw the cue ball back he's forcing Reyes to cooperate with playing the way Frost wants the game played from this position.. I really don't see that many good options, do you Fred?

Dr. Bill

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
What do I care..

What do I care..

I'll start off by saying that any one who banks at the 5 ball from this spot with Reyes following them wants to lose their money. Plus you need the bridge to bank the 5 ball, does that count for something? Secondly, there is no sell out possibility shooting the 1 ball, none. You say your 4 1/2 ft. away, my my that's real tough isn't it? Mistake free one pocket, then bank the 5 ball.:frus Give me a break.:lol I'll lay 100 to 1 Frost don't bank the 1 ball, your shot preference.:lol

Billy I.

..What Scott Frost, or Hacker, or even you, would shoot? I just know what I would do. I am not afraid of giving anybody long straight ins from off the rail -- if they cant win with the shot. :sorry
Remember, I aint looking to necessarily make the 5 ball, but I am leaving the rock on the rail.

No, there is not much of a sell out possibility shooting the 1 ball or kicking at it, or rolling at the eleven ball and hitting it "perfect" enough to hide the Q ball, but there is a BIG possibility of allowing your opponent a chance to move, clean up your side, or play a tuff safe because of the proximity of the Q ball to all the action.

The 2-rail-the-one-ball and STOP next to the cluster or Draw the Q ball slightly, would be the only other shot I would consider.

Beard

Does anyone want to rate which option would be easier to execute: Mine or those "others?"
I am shooting at a ball six inches away, hitting it easy and stopping the cue ball. Oh jeez, I forgot, I might have to use the bridge! Save me, Jesus.

Final point: It has become obvious that for whatever reason, Hacker has had some success playing 1pkt. I reason, that is in spite of what he thinks it is right to do. I also reason that if I had a week with him I could easily move him up a ball if he had sense enough to listen to a Master Player (if I aint, then who the hell is?).:lol

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Shooting at the 11 and rolling up onto the 10-ball looks wrong to me -- way too easy to have the cue ball sneak past the 10 into the open. Seems to me you would have to hit it real soft, and then you might end up taking an unnecessary scratch by not catching a rail with the 11.

Moving the 1-ball looks good -- I like kicking the 1 better than shooting directly into it, because you get a much better cue ball to 1 ball angle with the kick. But the level of difficulty is compounded by shooting over the 5-ball. I definitely like this shot if it "feels" okay at the table.

As an alternative, Efren obviously is trying to avoid any more uptable game than we already have, so why not force it a little more? If Scott can see the right side of the 6-ball, it looks natural to roll the cue ball back to the bottom rail that way.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2012-02-24_07-40-57.jpg
    Greenshot_2012-02-24_07-40-57.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
f you cant execute slow rolling the 11 ball Beard, it puts your beat list in serious question. Banking the 5 ball is useless unless your playing a weak player. "mistake free one pocket" equals pray Efren misses the straight in on the 1 ball. The Hacker treats his backers money better than he treats his own thats why the winning percentage is HIGH( yeah that one is a brag but screw it) lol Kicking the 1 ball and drawing back for the safe is east to execute, you may or may not get th perfect hit on the stack but its safe and if you hit it good HOMERUN!! The Hacker now knows he was born in the wrong era for pool. Time machine would be SWEET

Hacker; No one in the history of one pocket players has ever had a better batting average playing than Artie, He'd make Babe Ruth look like a rookie! All the so called straight shooter's in the past era got broke by him, by him leaving the LONG straight-in, mind you, generally gets you 1 ball, while leaving maybe 4 or 5 balls for him. They may have been even money to make the shot, but would miss every other shot, that's how Artie put the "mistake free" game in effect. IMO.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
http://mr3cushion.com

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
..What Scott Frost, or Hacker, or even you, would shoot? I just know what I would do. I am not afraid of giving anybody long straight ins from off the rail -- if they cant win with the shot. :sorry First, you can't possibly leave the cue ball on the rail and position the 5 ball anywhere near the pocket. Secondly, Reyes will make the shot on the 1 ball at least 90% of the time if you leave him there Thirdly, I agree you can't lose right away leaving the shot on the 1 ball but after Reyes gets his 2 to 4 balls you'll be on your way to losing.
Remember, I aint looking to necessarily make the 5 ball, but I am leaving the rock on the rail. If you focus on leaving the rock on the rail you not only won't make it but you won't even get it down table close to the pocket. Shooting it in this fashion is worse than trying to make it. You'll give Reyes options now, either he likes the shot on the 1 ball well enough to shoot it or he can comfortably look elsewhere.

No, there is not much of a sell out possibility shooting the 1 ball or kicking at it, or rolling at the eleven ball and hitting it "perfect" enough to hide the Q ball, but there is a BIG possibility of allowing your opponent a chance to move, clean up your side, or play a tuff safe because of the proximity of the Q ball to all the action. If the 1 ball is hit anywhere near decent Reyes or anyone else can't clear your side.

The 2-rail-the-one-ball and STOP next to the cluster or Draw the Q ball slightly, would be the only other shot I would consider. Thank you.

Beard

Does anyone want to rate which option would be easier to execute: Mine or those "others?" It's not about choosing the shot that's easiest to execute, it's about shooting good shots.
I am shooting at a ball six inches away, hitting it easy and stopping the cue ball. Oh jeez, I forgot, I might have to use the bridge! Save me, Jesus. That to, I have played top players 1,000's of games, and i'm still playing them, and what i've learned playing them is..YOU CAN'T LEAVE THEM THOSE KIND OF SHOTS,THE'LL EAT YOU UP

Final point: It has become obvious that for whatever reason, Hacker has had some success playing 1pkt. I reason, that is in spite of what he thinks it is right to do. I also reason that if I had a week with him I could easily move him up a ball if he had sense enough to listen to a Master Player (if I aint, then who the hell is?).:lol

Nice talking to you Master Fred.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Hacker; No one in the history of one pocket players has ever had a better batting average playing than Artie, He'd make Babe Ruth look like a rookie! All the so called straight shooter's in the past era got broke by him, by him leaving the LONG straight-in, mind you, generally gets you 1 ball, while leaving maybe 4 or 5 balls for him. They may have been even money to make the shot, but would miss every other shot, that's how Artie put the "mistake free" game in effect. IMO.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Billy, no one's arguing the point about Arties win loss record, I agree he has one of the best ever. But there are many players that challenge players by leaving them long straight in's, but only the inexperienced and foolish players shoot them when they can only get 1 ball or sell out 4 or 5 balls.:frus

If you are trying to support your friend Freddie the Master here, roll up your sleeves you have a lot of work ahead.

Hows life in Florida? Sweet!!!

Dr. Bill

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Shooting at the 11 and rolling up onto the 10-ball looks wrong to me -- way too easy to have the cue ball sneak past the 10 into the open. Seems to me you would have to hit it real soft, and then you might end up taking an unnecessary scratch by not catching a rail with the 11.

Moving the 1-ball looks good -- I like kicking the 1 better than shooting directly into it, because you get a much better cue ball to 1 ball angle with the kick. But the level of difficulty is compounded by shooting over the 5-ball. I definitely like this shot if it "feels" okay at the table.

As an alternative, Efren obviously is trying to avoid any more uptable game than we already have, so why not force it a little more? If Scott can see the right side of the 6-ball, it looks natural to roll the cue ball back to the bottom rail that way.

I like this shot too. The key to it is that you can execute it 98% of the time with nothing going wrong. My only question, and I can't tell for sure, is can he hit the 6 on the very top or is that part of the ball blocked.

For those guys that like 2 railing the 1 ball into the cluster near the spot and then ducking behind the cluster that is behind it, picture yourself jacked up more than 45%, having to hit it with just the right speed, having to hit it very accurately, and if you don't get behind the cluster, you just gave Efen a whole bunch of banks to choose from. I think you'd have to hit this one real sporty to do that.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Shooting at the 11 and rolling up onto the 10-ball looks wrong to me -- way too easy to have the cue ball sneak past the 10 into the open. Seems to me you would have to hit it real soft, and then you might end up taking an unnecessary scratch by not catching a rail with the 11. I agree totally with how you see this option, too much awkwardness about every part of the shot. angle..distance..trusting the soft roll.:eek:

Moving the 1-ball looks good -- I like kicking the 1 better than shooting directly into it, because you get a much better cue ball to 1 ball angle with the kick. But the level of difficulty is compounded by shooting over the 5-ball. I definitely like this shot if it "feels" okay at the table. [COLOR="Red"[COLOR="Red"]]This shot supports what Frost is trying to do. he has the positional advantage and this shot (for a top player) isn't that difficult to execute. Imo this shot for Frost will keep Reyes on the defense, with limited options.
[/COLOR]
As an alternative, Efren obviously is trying to avoid any more uptable game than we already have, so why not force it a little more? If Scott can see the right side of the 6-ball, it looks natural to roll the cue ball back to the bottom rail that way. On the contrary I disagree, Reyes was forced to play this game (the last few shots)in this fashion, realizing that Frost's position was better and playing off the 9 ball the last time he was at the table would only make matters worse for him. Frost wants to play aggressively here to force Reyes to stay on defense. Playing off the 6 ball will let Reyes off the hook and will neutralize whatever advantage Frost has. I don't believe that Frost wants to play an up table game from this position, and playing your shot will convince me that he does.

Reyes shouldn't be opposed to playing an up table game from this position, I think he would be relieved to do so. At this point of the battle Frost is trying to keep his advantage, and Reyes should be thinking to change the way the balls are positioned to level the playing field.

Billy I.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Billy, no one's arguing the point about Arties win loss record, I agree he has one of the best ever. But there are many players that challenge players by leaving them long straight in's, but only the inexperienced and foolish players shoot them when they can only get 1 ball or sell out 4 or 5 balls.:frus

If you are trying to support your friend Freddie the Master here, roll up your sleeves you have a lot of work ahead.

Hows life in Florida? Sweet!!!

Dr. Bill

Dr.B; We all know that the making of a tough 1 ball shots is not correct, but most straight shooters can't resist, it's thier egos that get them broke.
In billiards I learned many years ago, you make the simple shots correctly, and you'll beat 95% of the people that play anywhere! So goes it in pool, forced to perform at max on every shot is taxing, to say the least!

Sunny FL., how do you beat it! :cool:

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Playing off the 1 ball or the 10 ball would be my two choices from this position. Playing off the 10 ball (providing the angle is not a scratch angle) will keep Reyes on the defense, especially with the ending position of the cue ball. Playing off the 1 ball will also keep Reyes on defense and eliminate the 1 ball from Reyes side (which is a plus) but you must draw the cue ball back and try to hide the 6 ball.[B ]Banking the 5 ball[/B] shouldn't even be an option playing a player of Reyes ability, why would you want to give him options:frus Playing off the 6 ball will force an up table game, something I wouldn't want to do from this position. There are probably a few more (conservative) options available.

Time to see what Frost chose. Thank you.

Billy I.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Playing off the 1 ball or the 10 ball would be my two choices from this position. Plying off the 10 ball (providing the angle is not a scratch angle) will keep Reyes on the defense, especially with the ending position of the cue ball. Playing off the 1 ball will also keep Reyes on defense and eliminate the 1 ball from Reyes side (which is a plus) but you must draw the cue ball back and try to hide the 6 ball.[B ]Banking the 5 ball[/B] shouldn't even be an option playing a player of Reyes ability, why would you want to give him options:frus Playing off the 6 ball will force an up table game, something I wouldn't want to do from this position. There are probably a few more (conservative) options available.

Time to see what Frost chose. Thank you.

Billy I.

wont be home till 6pm
dont have the shot or dvd at work.....:(
you will have to wait until then.....:sorry........:D

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
p.s. nobody has chosen his shot yet......:eek:

How about playing off the the ball in front of the ball hanging in the top left corner? You could play off that ball a couple different ways. One way would be to play off the stripe and position the cue ball in back close to the other stripe cutting off any good options for Reyes. The other way would be to play the stripe into the hanging ball, leaving the cue ball behind the other stripe hiding the 6 ballThat will leave Reyes a spot shot that he won't want to shoot and very few options.

What ever shot Frost opts to shoot he should protect the 6 ball the 6 ball is the ball that threatens Reyes most.

Look for a ball that only goes in either your pocket, or your opponents pocket, that's a big ball for who's ever pocket it goes into. Plus if that ball is positioned to lead to other balls to run, or if that ball offers you the ability to open up clusters that your opponent can't open up using it makes it a bigger ball for you. In this situation the 6 ball fits that criterion. You must learn to protect that type of a ball.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

treeMan

Verified Member
I think it's ridiculous to suggest banking or kicking the one ball :sorry with draw, or even stun, and anyone doing that is wearing their testosterone blinders.:D

As Petie said, you'd be jacked up 45 + deg, so have fun masse'ing yourself to a perfect hit on the one ball.:heh

For those guys that like 2 railing the 1 ball into the cluster near the spot and then ducking behind the cluster that is behind it, picture yourself jacked up more than 45%, having to hit it with just the right speed, having to hit it very accurately, and if you don't get behind the cluster, you just gave Efen a whole bunch of banks to choose from. I think you'd have to hit this one real sporty to do that.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Finally,

Finally,

How about playing off the the ball in front of the ball hanging in the top left corner? You could play off that ball a couple different ways. One way would be to play off the stripe and position the cue ball in back close to the other stripe cutting off any good options for Reyes. The other way would be to play the stripe into the hanging ball, leaving the cue ball behind the other stripe hiding the 6 ballThat will leave Reyes a spot shot that he won't want to shoot and very few options.

What ever shot Frost opts to shoot he should protect the 6 ball the 6 ball is the ball that threatens Reyes most.

Look for a ball that only goes in either your pocket, or your opponents pocket, that's a big ball for who's ever pocket it goes into. Plus if that ball is positioned to lead to other balls to run, or if that ball offers you the ability to open up clusters that your opponent can't open up using it makes it a bigger ball for you. In this situation the 6 ball fits that criterion. You must learn to protect that type of a ball.

Dr. Bill

...Your first contribution to sanity.

Master Beard

I like this new monicker. You can be Dr Bill and I will be Master Beard.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I bank the 1 ball into the 8 13 combo thats dead for my hole and i run out:D
on to next situation please

looks like it might not be on....:eek:
if its not whats your next best choice??
and why??

well you never answered my question
i asked this before i saw what happenned..
scott used the combo to 2 rail the combo into the cluster (ie the combo wasnt on.....with the smiley face dont know if you were serious
but you still never gave a follow up)
unfortunately he left efren a shot on the 13??
which he made and ran 3

ee6.jpg[/ATTACH]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Billy, I think if Scott can play it just like you say - open the cluster and draw the cb back onto the 2 - he will win from there. Good call.

See, if Efren had started by making the combo on his first shot then he wouldn't have lost this game before a single ball has been made. :D :D :D
Skin

so scott tried to bank something into the cluster
as skin said if he listened to Dr. Bill he would have left the cue ball safe
but if he listened to skin

he wouldnt have been in this predicament:D
im learning from dr. bill about these font /color things:)

Skin

Verified Member
so scott tried to bank something into the cluster
as skin said if he listened to Dr. Bill he would have left the cue ball safe
but if he listened to skin

he wouldnt have been in this predicament:D
im learning from dr. bill about these font /color things:)

Larry, sorry to say, but I have to call a GEEZER ALERT! on you. The opening combo that Reyes had was in a different game. :eek: I set that trap yesterday and have been wondering who would step into it. Yeah, as if I had set it intentionally as well. :lol

Skin

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry, sorry to say, but I have to call a GEEZER ALERT! on you. The opening combo that Reyes had was in a different game. I set that trap yesterday and have been wondering who would step into it. Yeah, as if I had set it intentionally as well.
Skin

see post#12
:confused:......:confused:........:confused:
please explain or pm ....:confused:....:confused:

Skin

Verified Member
see post#12

please explain or pm ....

Larry, when I wrote this:

See, if Efren had started by making the combo on his first shot then he wouldn't have lost this game before a single ball has been made.

that scenario was from the pro v. pro thread. I thought you were referring to my statement when you wrote

"but if he listened to skin
he wouldnt have been in this predicament"

I thought you had gotten the two games mixed up :lol like I did when I wrote what I did. Geezer brain, you know. :D

Skin