Slow/tight players

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Do you equate tight play with slow play?

Tight/Slow. There is a difference. There is a limit. I respect a person that studies the table. I can't take an indecisive person or player that takes 13-25 strokes before shooting.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Slow/tight players

I like playing against tight/conservative players... Players who will not ever shoot at their hole when they can't play safe also...gives me much more latitude in my shot selections...

Playing against tight players who also squeeze you and take an inordinate amount of time to find the absolute correct shot is totally different IMO.. They look over every conceivable option every time it's their shot and are a total bore to play against...it is of course their prerogative to play at whatever pace they choose, as there are no rules in place to govern slow play... I just quit the game & cross them off my play list... Life's to short, especially at my age...:)

Rhythm plays a big part in some people's arsenal and players who use the constant delay tactic ( whether consciously or unconsciously ) are IMO to be avoided...

Very well said Jeff and I agree with this completely. There is a difference between thoughtful play, and taking 4 minutes to shoot a straight in shot. I'm fine with thoughtful. Not the latter. I don't get mad I just take them off my list heh.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Very well said Jeff and I agree with this completely. There is a difference between thoughtful play, and taking 4 minutes to shoot a straight in shot. I'm fine with thoughtful. Not the latter. I don't get mad I just take them off my list heh.

I'm looking forward to some thoughtful play when I come out to your pool room in a few weeks.

El Chapo

Verified Member
I have had a couple of distinct "eras" with my pool game. I started off very defensive the first 10 or so years of playing. I play faster now, not too much but a bit, but I play way more offensively.

I can not even state this strongly enough, from somebody who has played both styles, if you make about the same amount of mistakes as a slow and conservative player as you do as an aggressive player, you're coming out WAY ahead as the aggressive player. I think most of this has to do with the psychology aggressive play lays onto your opponent. It also amazes me how many times that there's an aggressive shot that's very safe, or you shoot a super aggressive shot and get "lucky" and get safe. I also think aggressive play keeps you in the right frame of mind for when you do get a shot.

Last edited:

stedyfred

Verified Member
I am not a slow player, however, in games where I have a good lead and I have taken balls out of play I will consciously slow my pace down to wear on my opponents patience. I have played some very slow players and, while slow, their play is not necessarily good one pocket. In his match with Frost, Orcullo was slow and very high level execution; different animal.

chicagomike

Verified Member
I am not a slow player, however, in games where I have a good lead and I have taken balls out of play I will consciously slow my pace down to wear on my opponents patience. I have played some very slow players and, while slow, their play is not necessarily good one pocket. In his match with Frost, Orcullo was slow and very high level execution; different animal.

Interesting thought Fred...hmmm, slowing down for the end game when your lead is substanial. Very tactical...I like it!