Update on "Encyclopedia" #2 thread

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
For those good people that have a vested, or even a curious interest, I finally got the last piece in the puzzle for my book, a photo of the great unknown player, Port Chester Mickey Carpinello, one of my old road partners.

I discovered his son Matthew, on FaceBook, and he replied to me, and provided a photo. I had been in contact with his daughter Lynn, but she was on the outs with the family, and didnt have a photo of her dad.

It wasn't easy to locate the son, as he had moved to San Diego.

That gives me 99.99% of the photos that I was looking for to put in the book (241 so far). The last photo I would like to have, but dont -- and I am going to go ahead with the final edits regardless of if I ever get it -- is, a photo of Sugar Shack Johnny Novak. I was in communication with him for awhile, and he was going to send me a pic, but for whatever reason he has dropped completely off of the grid. Knowing him as I do, that is not so surprising.

Beard

Hope to be done soon. My thanks to all those that care.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
In today's age of digital, there will probably be more images than we even want to see of everybody in 20 years from now. But images of players from back in those days sure are treasures now. Those are worthy searches indeed. Putting a face to the name of such a prominent figure in your bank book will be great to see. Good luck with finishing up the book!

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
For those good people that have a vested, or even a curious interest, I finally got the last piece in the puzzle for my book, a photo of the great unknown player, Port Chester Mickey Carpinello, one of my old road partners.

Beard

Well it's about f@@king time, I've been wondering for years what PCMickey looked like:p.

Dennis

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Well it's about f@@king time, I've been wondering for years what PCMickey looked like:p.

Dennis

Hold it..You mean you don't care about his 'other' roadie, the world famous "Sugar Shack Johnny Novak" ? (another obscure name, known only to him) :rolleyes:....You are so lame :eek: :p .. By the way, no matter how much he begs, DO NOT send him any pictures of ME !... ('til he apologizes to me) :cool:

Caution; I estimate postage to be about $89.75 per postcard, by that time ! :eek:

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Stop being a dick!!

Sorry if I offended you, Chief !...But, I didn't think that was a 'cruel' joke,..even by Fred, or anyone else's standards...I guess
I shoulda known better..:eek:

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Attention all: Forum members that have made interesting comments, insights, and quotes, make up a goodly portion of EOPH. Fer instance, I unabashedly used Grady Mathews, Jay Helfert, Billy Incardona, John Henderson, Frank the Barber, Androd, The Ghost, Bill Smith, Macguy, Jennie (JAM), and a few others that don’t immediately come to mind. Plus, I am putting Cowboy’s masterpiece poem in. It belongs.

Finally, in the “How do you like 'dem apples, smart guy?”category, the Wonder Horse, Clever Lou, I mean Clever Hans, will be shocked to learn that I included his client, SJD’s article, “Bad Day in Dallas” in the tome. Plus, it has been in the book since day one. I didn't mention it before because I just didn’t want to give Clever Who the satisfaction. It has been on my website for a few years, and I would have to be a real hypocrite to leave it out. But he was half-right, his client will not get a personal dedication.
People should keep in mind that a true Sicilian never really lets you know what he is thinking, and he always likes to keep an ace in the hole.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
For those good people that have a vested, or even a curious interest.

Beard

Freddy,

Did you ever decide whether or not to include color pictures in a number of the books? I think you said it was triple the cost of B&W but I was wondering.

P.S. In the preview of the book that you sent me I see I was quoted concerning John McCue/Horseface Harry. I expect royalty checks to be rolling in soon:p.

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Freddy,

Did you ever decide whether or not to include color pictures in a number of the books? I think you said it was triple the cost of B&W but I was wondering.

P.S. In the preview of the book that you sent me I see I was quoted concerning John McCue/Horseface Harry. I expect royalty checks to be rolling in soon:p.

Dennis

If I paid royalty to all the guys whose lines I stole, I would be bankrupt. They (and you) have to be content with their stories going down into recorded history.

I am considering doing a small separate run of color books, with maybe a fancy cover -- maybe 1-50, at some point. But that cant happen until I get my first big run out. That is going to run into the $$thousands. I will have to do a little selling first.

Beard

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
If I paid royalty to all the guys whose lines I stole, I would be bankrupt. They (and you) have to be content with their stories going down into recorded history.

I am considering doing a small separate run of color books, with maybe a fancy cover -- maybe 1-50, at some point. But that cant happen until I get my first big run out. That is going to run into the $$thousands. I will have to do a little selling first.

Beard

I have a feeling something big is going to happen with this Freddy.

I'd like to buy a book from you but..."I think in Honor and doing my best in keeping the spirit of the players in the book alive", I'm just going to steal as many copies of it as I can.

:sorry

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
I have a feeling something big is going to happen with this Freddy.

I'd like to buy a book from you but..."I think in Honor and doing my best in keeping the spirit of the players in the book alive", I'm just going to steal as many copies of it as I can.

:sorry

Wow! I just woke up today and while I was sleeping I had a "visit" from the infamous "Whale". :eek:

He told me thanks, and snatch two books for him. :lol

God that was horrible, I had to get up immediately and go all over the house to make sure everything was still here.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Wow! I just woke up today and while I was sleeping I had a "visit" from the infamous "Whale". :eek:

He told me thanks, and snatch two books for him. :lol

God that was horrible, I had to get up immediately and go all over the house to make sure everything was still here.

Steve; Here's a story about, Steve "The Whale" some Polish last name!

It was 1967; I'm going on my first, "road trip" with the late Paul Jones from Chicago. Paul knew I was the BEST player in Chicago by now after ONLY playing 3 yrs. He saw me beat the BEST black player in 3c EVER, Richard "Baby Brother" Powell. Willie Hoppe, once asked him to tour with him around the US, But, Richard was a drunk and dope addict. The day he was supposed to meet Hoppe at the train station, he was a, "NO show"!

We started out on our venture by Greyhound bus going to the home of the recently passed, Harold Worst, Grand Rapids, MI. We were completely shocked find NOT a single 3c table in the entire city. AS we traveled east, we stopped in Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Pittsburg, Philly and finally, "Port Authority" in NYC.

When we arrived in NYC, we called Country to get the right game plan. He suggested going to, "Miami's"pool room in, Patterson, NJ. He said, "You might trap him for a few hundred, or He'll stake someone". Now let me say, I had always looked very young for my age, this being said, most billiard players were between 40-50 yrs of age. They NEVER figured a young looking kid could play 3c well, plus, I always wore a college sweatshirt along with the, "Willie Hoppe" billiard book under my arm. I beat MANY collegiate champions with this hustle!

Miami's pool room was on the second floor, the stairway to get upstairs was NO wider than 30" in width. WE arrived about 10:30 in the morning; Miami was behind the counter talking to young 350 lb. kid with a head the size of a basketball. The 2 billiard tables were off to the side, almost in a separate room; I got a set of balls and went back to practice with my book open and open hand bridge. About 10 minutes ]later, the whale comes thundering over to sweat me, he asked to play. I said, "You’re not like most billiard players, are you?" "You don't gamble"? He couldn't get the word out of his huge mouth fast enough, "I'm no nit; I'll play you 20 pts. for 50 dollars"! I said, "OK". He went back to the counter to get his cue, and money from Miami. Long story short, Miami pulled up after 2 games. When Steve knew Miami was finished with him, Steve blurted out, "f I get my older brother will you play him"? I replied, "You're not trying to trap me, are you"? "Go ahead, go get him"!

Miami staked the new player since he was already stuck, for a $100 a game, He went for another 2 barrels. The guy I played was, Billy Maloney, who in years became one of my BEST friends.

Now, back to, "The Whale". Remember I mentioned the stairway up to the pool room was ONLY 30" wide. To this day, we NEVER figured out how Steve got into the pool room every day. There was NO way he could fit up those stairs!!!

Over the years, He probably became one of the most evil people I had ever met. He flew NO flag, except "skull n crossbones". Everyone and everything was fair game to him!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Last edited:

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Steve; Here's a story about, Steve "The Whale" some Polish last name!

When we arrived in NYC, we called Country to get the right game plan. He suggested going to, "Miami's"pool room in, Patterson, NJ.

Miami's pool room was on the second floor, the stairway to get upstairs was NO wider than 30" in width. WE arrived about 10:30 in the morning; Miami was behind the counter talking to young 350 lb. kid with a head the size of a basketball.

Now, back to, "The Whale". Remember I mentioned the stairway up to the pool room was ONLY 30" wide. To this day, we NEVER figured out how Steve got into the pool room every day. There was NO way he could fit up those stairs!!!

Over the years, He probably became one of the most evil people I had ever met. He flew NO flag, except "skull n crossbones". Everyone and everything was fair game to him!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Thanks for the story.

The Whale was a real beauty/POS for sure. Why do you think that even though it was a dream and he's dead, I had to see if anything in my house was gone. :eek: :lol

Nobody could figure out how he could manuver under bleachers at tournaments to steal cues.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I am finally finished with the writing of my book, and I am now heading down the home stretch. “All” that is left are the final edits. However, it is a daunting task, 500 pages. The format for my book is a little more complicated than the usual book form. But thank God I have my pal, the indomitable George Fels, to hold my hand every step of the way in this endeavor. I am not the worst writer, but my grammar and punctuation are basically lacking. George is a professional writer and editor, and he amazes me (and sometimes even pees me off a little), in that he can find every single, tiny (and there are countless examples of such) writing infraction I commit.

I even get busted with the spelling of some of the names of people I have known all my life. Maybe no one else on earth could have caught me misspelling those names. I use spell-check, so I am good to go most of the time, but George remembers the spelling of the names of people we associated with over 40 years ago!
One of my best friends for years, was “Tall Al” Lamareaux. I misspelled his name 2 or 3 different ways in my book. George knew the correct spelling. Al has been dead over 20 years.
The bottom line is, I would have been in a world of trouble without the help of Georgie-boy. With his help, I am hoping to put forth a genuinely professional product.

Beard